World Cup 2022

On 12/11/2022 at 03:09, toonotl said:

That's a bold statement.

I know not sure why it came out in bold letters computers are still a mystery to me most of the time. Oh well guess we can just wait and see what happens and hope non of our players pick up injuries no matter who they are playing for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I don’t even remember that but I do recall this pile of shite from 4 years earlier:

I realise that looking for meaning in football songs is a foolish endeavour, but it's a bit odd singing that you're going to get it right "more than any other time" when you've literally won the World Cup before

• Like 1

I hate the world cup. Nationalistic shite. Faux fans bubbling in the stands. Fucking shite.

At least this year with it being in the winter we don’t get all the spillage into the streets from the usual wankers.

Hopefully.

I’m sure the Birmingham, Stoke, Northampton, sunderland, etc fans will enjoy it as they usually do.

But roll on Christmas for me like

Parcel of shite.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom said:

They paid the england band to attend and behave a certain way :lol: 

:lol: And of course the insufferable Jeremy Clarkson-lite cunts complied. They’ll all be back to following ‘rugger’ after the tournament. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Alex said:

I don’t even remember that but I do recall this pile of shite from 4 years earlier:

This was from Euro 88. Pure Stock Aitken & Waterman and SBR looks massively uncomfortable. 

Mexico 86 was something like we've got the whole world at our feet IIRC.

15 hours ago, Craig said:

Before 'World In Motion' there was..... 

Definitely recorded for Euro 1988 in Germany… two giveaways, unmistakable Stock Aitken & Waterman production and a very young Tony Adams about to be tortured half to death by Marco Van Bastard :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Definitely recorded for Euro 1988 in Germany… two giveaways, unmistakable Stock Aitken & Waterman production and a very young Tony Adams about to be tortured half to death by Marco Van Bastard :lol: 

Good spot. Possibly why the song doesn’t stick in the memory too (with the Euros being a much lesser affair back then). I’d guessed Adams was in and around the team for 86 but didn’t make the final cut and that’s why he was on the video. Going back to 88, those performances saw Adams left out the England setup for years afterwards iirc. In retrospect, a young player being humiliated by MVB at that point didn’t exactly make him a bad defender 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

Good spot. Possibly why the song doesn’t stick in the memory too (with the Euros being a much lesser affair back then). I’d guessed Adams was in and around the team for 86 but didn’t make the final cut and that’s why he was on the video. Going back to 88, those performances saw Adams left out the England setup for years afterwards iirc. In retrospect, a young player being humiliated by MVB at that point didn’t exactly make him a bad defender 

Aye he wasn’t picked for the squad in 1990 & England didn’t qualify for USA 94. Not sure if he was captain in 96 or Shearer was?  I read his book and he describes meeting MvB years later in a restaurant in France after Wenger had become Arsenal manager, he was recuperating from an injury and MvB told him not to even think about retiring and to play as long as he could which I think he went on to do… 

• Like 1

Adams was captain in 1996. I think it was a mistake to leave him out in 1990. Robson was incredibly loyal where Terry Butcher was concerned, and I think by that point he was past his best. 

As has been said, Adams did seem to carry the can for a poor Euro 88 but that fails to appreciate how strong the Dutch, Soviet & Irish teams were and also Lineker having hepatitis didn't help.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

Adams was captain in 1996. I think it was a mistake to leave him out in 1990. Robson was incredibly loyal where Terry Butcher was concerned, and I think by that point he was past his best. 

As has been said, Adams did seem to carry the can for a poor Euro 88 but that fails to appreciate how strong the Dutch, Soviet & Irish teams were and also Lineker having hepatitis didn't help.

Aye, Butcher was definitely past his best but he wasn’t really exposed in the 3/5 at the back. Des Walker was outstanding, which helped. Mark Wright at sweeper iirc. 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Aye, Butcher was definitely past his best but he wasn’t really exposed in the 3/5 at the back. Des Walker was outstanding, which helped. Mark Wright at sweeper iirc. 

Yep, playing Wright as sweeper (which we did from the Holland game onwards) made the difference. 

BTW if you haven't seen the Sky Documentary 'Italia 90 - Four Weeks That Changed The World' I recommend you do. Definitely an eye-opener, especially the geo-politics surrounding Yugoslavia at the time. The role Osim played as manager for them was remarkable and it was amazing to consider a dressing room with such cultural differences managed to reach the QF. The other thing is Toto Schillaci looks younger now than he did in 1990!! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Craig said:

Yep, playing Wright as sweeper (which we did from the Holland game onwards) made the difference. 

BTW if you haven't seen the Sky Documentary 'Italia 90 - Four Weeks That Changed The World' I recommend you do. Definitely an eye-opener, especially the geo-politics surrounding Yugoslavia at the time. The role Osim played as manager for them was remarkable and it was amazing to consider a dressing room with such cultural differences managed to reach the QF. The other thing is Toto Schillaci looks younger now than he did in 1990!! 

A great docu.  You could easily change the home politics in the Thatcher era to now. 

Remember the 1978 WC......the following season lots of fans started chucking handfuls of torn up paper when the teams came out / scored must have been a nightmare to clean up aftrwards

66403.3.jpg

sports-football-world-championship-1978-final-argentina-versus-netherlands-31-in-buenos-aires-argentina-2561978-additional-rights-clearance-info-not-available-T0HJ3P.jpg