World Cup 2022

2 hours ago, Meenzer said:

This is part of my logic behind watching the World Cup with a clear conscience. I've already watched athletics from Doha and the like for years anyway; it's not like I can do anything to affect the decisions that are made at the top level of fundamentally corrupt sports; but primarily, if the whole thing going to be the magnificent shitshow it looks like being, why would I not want to watch it?

I wasn't even talking about the human rights aspect of the tournament. It's just that people I know who go to those places, Dubai etc tend to be insufferable. 

Going on holiday sober and having your picture taken in front of a fancy car isn't my idea of fun. 

• Like 1

:lol:
Toms Holiday pics…

” This is me, paggered behind the Colosseum”

” This is me, having a piss in to the Trevi fountain… aye, proper scuttled”

” This is me, in the bar next to the Eiffel Tower, bollocksed on Absinthe”

” Aye, arseholed at Disney World, belta “

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

I have to disagree with Renton's view of the Germany WC in 2006. It was a more than decent world cup sandwiched between two horror shows of Japan/South Korea and the South Africa tournament. 

España '82 was the first I remember but it's a bit vague now as I was only about 8 1/2! Mexico ''86 I loved, Italia '90 was great then it started to go downhill. USA '94 was compared to the previous ones and I didn't care for it that much but with hindsight it pisses all over 2002 and 2010. France '98 was ok. Brazil and Russia were nothing to write home about tbh. Expecting this to be a shit show as well.

2002 was a shitshow looking back. A terrible Germany team through to the final because every other good side knocked each other out. I’ll stand by 2014 though. Some excellent games and goals in that tournament and no tournament where Brazil get twatted 7-1 while Neymar watches on from a hospital bed can be considered bad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

2002 was a shitshow looking back. A terrible Germany team through to the final because every other good side knocked each other out. I’ll stand by 2014 though. Some excellent games and goals in that tournament and no tournament where Brazil get twatted 7-1 while Neymar watches on from a hospital bed can be considered bad

The Brazil battering was the standout, no doubt. It was ok but that's it, like Renton's Germany WC some of '14 seems to have passed me by. 2002 was horrendous purely for the time difference let alone the actual football on display. I watched a couple of games at around seven in the morning after finishing a night shift and didn't get to half time without falling asleep. No night games? In a World cup? Fuck right off. The fucking non stop horns in South Africa, everyone kinda politely smiled at first but if they had their way they'd have summoned up the ghosts of Pik W Botha's (however you spell it) riot police to tear gas the annoying cunts after a week of it. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

The fucking non stop horns in South Africa, everyone kinda politely smiled at first but if they had their way they'd have summoned up the ghosts of Pik W Botha's (however you spell it) riot police to tear gas the annoying cunts after a week of it. 

:lol:

2002 was an absurdity of a tournament. I still don’t know how Germany made it to the final. It probably all down to Kahn who the fucked up in the final.

82 was my first world cup and made me football mad, in 86 I watched almost every game and loved it. 90 was fantastic of course.

94 was as crap as 2002 with the difference of Germany getting deservedly humiliated.

98 was similar to 2006 in being a decent tournament and proof that World Cups in Europe being on a different level (bar Russia)

2010 was ok

2014 was fantastic (especially with my wife being pregnant and not watching matches because of getting to worked up)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

94 was as crap as 2002 with the difference of Germany getting deservedly humiliated.

I suspect that's one of the reasons I like 94 so much. :lol:

But seriously, Stoichkov, Hagi, Brolin and co at their peak, what's not to like?

(As long as you're not German or English, anyway)

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Going on holiday sober and having your picture taken in front of a fancy car isn't my idea of fun. 

Been to Dubai once. Not in a hurry to go back but it was fuck all like that. JBR had plenty of bars, restaurants, nice weather and hotels with fancy pools. Wasn't dissimilar to Playacar in Mexico tbh 

• Like 1

Just now, Kid Dynamite said:

Been to Dubai once. Not in a hurry to go back but it was fuck all like that. JBR had plenty of bars, restaurants, nice weather and hotels with fancy pools. Wasn't dissimilar to Playacar in Mexico tbh 

Fair one! 

I'm just going off people I know and some very, very cringey Facebook posts.

19 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Aye but then again you thought people could neck beers and walk round half naked in Qatar.