World Cup 2022

12 minutes ago, The Fish said:

No, but seriously; What do you think xG is trying to show? Like if you were objectively explaining xG's function, it's intended purpose, what would you say? Because, despite hours and hours, pages and pages, I don't think you know what it is. 

It's a statistic that's all, it's "predicts" the likelihood of a goal in given player/position situation based on consolidated historical data, that expectation of a goal doesn't equate to actual goals, see Canada for evidence.

You don't need a stat to tell you player X is a good finisher, and player Y isn't, or having possession of the ball in the opponents penalty area, or at their byline is better than them having it in/at yours. 

You'd want good (high xG) attacking players in your team who put the ball into high xG areas, but establishing that can be observed without a calculation.

A high xG player will make more areas of the pitch higher xG areas to him, I don't need a stat to tell me I'm watching Alan Shearer in his prime.

I accept that like any measure if trended over time it can tell if a player is better/worse than he was and it can help build a picture of players/teams you don't watch, but in terms of any game happening in front of your eyes it means fuck all - there are so many other variable factors at play.

39 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

It's a statistic that's all, it's "predicts" the likelihood of a goal in given player/position situation based on consolidated historical data, that expectation of a goal doesn't equate to actual goals, see Canada for evidence.

You don't need a stat to tell you player X is a good finisher, and player Y isn't, or having possession of the ball in the opponents penalty area, or at their byline is better than them having it in/at yours. 

You'd want good (high xG) attacking players in your team who put the ball into high xG areas, but establishing that can be observed without a calculation.

A high xG player will make more areas of the pitch higher xG areas to him, I don't need a stat to tell me I'm watching Alan Shearer in his prime.

I accept that like any measure if trended over time it can tell if a player is better/worse than he was and it can help build a picture of players/teams you don't watch, but in terms of any game happening in front of your eyes it means fuck all - there are so many other variable factors at play.

Yeah, you don't seem to fully understand it. xG isn't a measure of a player's ability at all. 

All xG shows is; given all the variables, how likely a goal is to be scored from a given chance. Based on thousands and thousands of data points across multiple leagues. Doesn't matter the player, or the team he's in or whatever. High xG doesn't necessarily = good player. 

Also, your eyes lie to you, all the time. 

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yeah, you don't seem to fully understand it. xG isn't a measure of a player's ability at all. 

All xG shows is; given all the variables, how likely a goal is to be scored from a given chance. Based on thousands and thousands of data points across multiple leagues. Doesn't matter the player, or the team he's in or whatever. High xG doesn't necessarily = good player. 

I have zero interest in "fully understanding" statistical analysis of "expected" football, I'll just watch games, cheers.

High xG doesn't = a goal either. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

I mean, that's like Germans coming over to our country dressed as nazis. I had to have words with @Isegrim about that last time. How thick are these people? 

They are invariably mega-gammons who don't even realise the crusades were a Euro (Catholic) thing, Germans and French etc have as much "right" to dress up, if they were dim enough to even consider it.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Were  Canada above or below their Xg last night Dave? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

Were  Canada above or below their Xg last night Dave? 

They murdered Belgium on it, by a factor of three, they must be favourites for that group now surely.

• Haha 2