World Cup 2022

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

I have zero interest in "fully understanding" statistical analysis of "expected" football, I'll just watch games, cheers.

High xG doesn't = a goal either. 

That is the only thing you've got right so far. But rather than mock you for it, I'm just glad you're making some progress.

• Haha 6

29 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That is the only thing you've got right so far. But rather than mock you for it, I'm just glad you're making some progress.

I hate to say this but perhaps Gemma is right Dave

26 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I watch games, think about them a bit and talk about them, I don't then spend hours working on/creating spreadsheets extrapolating numbers to reflect the game I watched, I wonder which approach is actually worthy of mockery.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

both me heart and me head are with toonpack on this. I do however admire the fish's dogged persistence with his graphs and stuff, whatever it is they mean! 

:lol:

You should see his stamp collection, beautiful it is

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

Wow Cameroon creating some serious xG here, sucker punch incoming

Well lookee here, my eyes (which lie to me evidently) seem to have been backed up by the statistics.

image.png.4ed8b5249794c4d2104d18b900e09b7e.png

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Well lookee here, my eyes (which lie to me evidently) seem to have been backed up by the statistics.

image.png.4ed8b5249794c4d2104d18b900e09b7e.png

Cameroon created one or two decent chances (1 in each half) and small poor chances, whereas Switzerland created 4-5 good chances (1 in first and 3-4 in the second). So, I'm not sure this is the gotcha you think it is?

Even your initial post doesn't make a whole heap of sense.

"Wow Cameroon creating some serious xG here" No, they weren't. Last round of games in the PL, the average xG for the winning side was 2.21, average for the losing side 1.08.

"sucker punch incoming" Is it a sucker punch when the puncher has made better chances than the punchee? 

It's fine though, I'll drop this now and let you luddites labour away in your ignorance. 

32 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It's fine though, I'll drop this now and let you luddites enjoy watching the match without having to fire up your laptops. 

FYP

Edited by Toonpack