World Cup 2022

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Sounds like Trips is getting a pasting in the press and people want TAA in. 

If that cunt played last night we get beat. Simple as that. 

If Trips played for one of the 'top 6' sides they wouldn't have said a thing about Trippier. 

Don’t think he played well. But who did? Maguire is an absolute liability. There’s better players didn’t even make the squad. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I genuinely couldn't give a fuck about England so say this not out of any frustration at all but when you look at how Eddie Howe got a tune out of players who looked finished compared to his predecessor then look at some of the players Southgate has then I can't help but think my long-standing opinion that Southgate is a very limited manager, (going back to his club days) hasn't altered one jot. 

Strip away the nice guy persona, media polish etc and he’s just a bit of a typical ex-centre half turned manager. Very conservative, safety first. When you look at look at last night and Foden doesn’t even get a look in? Other thing is it heaps pressure on Foden to do something when he’ll inevitably get a chance when we’re chasing a game / need a goal  

• Like 6

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

Some mad theories going around that we played for the draw so we can finish second in the group which potentially opens up an easier route to the final than if we top the group 

Played for a defeat on that evidence 

• Like 1

I don’t think Tripps was that bad, more so that the Yanks had seen all the stuff he created down the right against Iran and simply pressed well and closed the channel to Saka off.

This is when the midfield should have created a lot more space for alternative balls and got themselves into good positions to receive, but they were basically dogshit.

All that sideways passing as a result was pathetic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Some mad theories going around that we played for the draw so we can finish second in the group which potentially opens up an easier route to the final than if we top the group 

England only drew because they were on ITV.  They’re back on BBC on Tuesday v Wales . They also got beat 0-0 v Scotland in their run to the final at last years Euros. All will be fine :good:

• Like 1

watching that game there I kept trying to work out where the lass commentating accent was from. thought it had a bit of an aussie twang me, which mrs bd laughed off as ludicrous!

anyway, google reveals vicki sparks is from newcastle, didn't decect any geordie in it whatsoever!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

watching that game there I kept trying to work out where the lass commentating accent was from. thought it had a bit of an aussie twang me, which mrs bd laughed off as ludicrous!

anyway, google reveals vicki sparks is from newcastle, didn't decect any geordie in it whatsoever!

I bet she has had a bit of geordie in it tbh

• Haha 3

thought i'd throw in an unashamedly bias man city fan view....

Foden should have come on, he has that "pausa" thing, but the more games he doesn't play the harder it will be to shine. Has to start against Wales as pointless taking him.

Sterling was consistently left out of the city team in favour of Foden (this season our first choice is Grealish, Haaland, Foden)

i get grealish coming on as city have won every game he's started this season, losing 2 and drawing 2 that he's missed. a weird stat that i don't quite understand. 

Bellingham has ruined England for me. Headless chicken, great energy but doesn't seem to help with controlling the game. just my thoughts, i'm sure i'll change if we sign him in the summer. 

Henderson is, well, best left unsaid.

Not the best i've seen of Trippier defensively for a spell but rather him than TAA. Obviously i'd pick Walker first.

Maguire was good in those usa corners but otherwise nah.

Quite liked seeing Gio Reyna come on as i have fond memories of his dad Claudio playing for us.

Sakha was okay but didn't get much help

Kane looked jaded to me.

And yeah bored as the wife's watching Strictly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

The thing about Trent Alexander-Arnold coming in is that the last thing that back four needs in another player who can’t defend 

you'll forgive my bias for thinking that Stones is quality, especially now the lapses seem long gone. good in the air, good on the ground, can see a pass.

7 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

you'll forgive my bias for thinking that Stones is quality, especially now the lapses seem long gone. good in the air, good on the ground, can see a pass.

I don’t think he’s the problem at all. Shaw’s done ok defensively too. Maguire is an accident waiting to happen though. There aren’t exactly loads of quality alternatives though. 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I don’t think he’s the problem at all. Shaw’s done ok defensively too. Maguire is an accident waiting to happen though. There aren’t exactly loads of quality alternatives though. 

if they world cup was this time next year i reckon Dan Burn might be starting instead. oh i forgot Southgate has his favourites

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

couldn't/wouldn't make a forward pass last game though.

Edited by tooner

I'm not one for slagging off Southgate too much. I don't think he's an elite level coach but these days I think the England job is much more about team building and creating a positive situation for "the group" than anything else, and he has certainly done that

Also he has got to a final and a semi-final and thats a lot fucking better than anything  we are used to.

Also don't really think our players are really anything special, certainly nobody world class in the team.

I think he's done pretty well considering, no matter what happens in this WC

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, tooner said:

couldn't/wouldn't make a forward pass last game though.

I know you said "forward" but i read this curious stat about the Iran game ... England completed 716 passes in their 6-2 win over Iran on MD1, their most on record in a World Cup match since 1966. John Stones was responsible for 116 of those completed passes (16 per cent), also the most by an England player in a World Cup game since 1966. That probably says more about Southgates tactics than Stones.

I thought he did make forward passes but it felt like they just ended up being recycled back. Granted him and Maguire passed to each other a fair bit, hence his 97% pass completion. To be fair it didn't seem like he had the kind of forward options to pass to that he has at city. 

43 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I'm not one for slagging off Southgate too much. I don't think he's an elite level coach but these days I think the England job is much more about team building and creating a positive situation for "the group" than anything else, and he has certainly done that

Also he has got to a final and a semi-final and thats a lot fucking better than anything  we are used to.

Also don't really think our players are really anything special, certainly nobody world class in the team.

I think he's done pretty well considering, no matter what happens in this WC

Agree with most of that but nobody world class - really?