World Cup 2022

5 minutes ago, NJS said:

You can recognise someone as a decent player while also defining them as a horrible, cheating cunt you know. 

Aye :lol: I always thought it was funny how commentators would jump on phrases like "hes proved his doubters wrong again" about Luis Suarez as if anyone ever really thought he wasn't a world class footballer and that peoples issues tended to be the racism and biting people.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, NJS said:

You can recognise someone as a decent player while also defining them as a horrible, cheating cunt you know. 

that's exactly my point. loads of people were adamant he wasn't good enough in the summer when we were linked with him, which surprised me because he's obviously a very good player, despite being about as likeable as craig bellamy 

I think at Everton his cuntishness was the main/only thing people saw and it probably got in the way of judging him as a player, I think he's shone for Brazil as he's been able to just play. 

1 hour ago, NJS said:

I think at Everton his cuntishness was the main/only thing people saw and it probably got in the way of judging him as a player

again, i agree and it's exactly the point i tried to make at the time. i'd have taken him in a heartbeat precisely because he'd have been our new craig bellamy: the sort of player you hate unless he plays for your side because he's unquestionably very good at football, despite being a tit of a human being

• Haha 1

Reading an article on the BBC about Scotland's 1986 World Cup campaign. Never occurred to me before that the Scots were due to have 2 club managers turn out for them in that tournament - Souness (appointed Rangers manager in April 1986) and Dalglish (appointed Liverpool manager in 1985). Sadly Dalglish wasn't fit and had to withdraw.

Also the notion of Alex Ferguson managing Kenny Dalglish seems odd.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Craig said:

Reading an article on the BBC about Scotland's 1986 World Cup campaign. Never occurred to me before that the Scots were due to have 2 club managers turn out for them in that tournament - Souness (appointed Rangers manager in April 1986) and Dalglish (appointed Liverpool manager in 1985). Sadly Dalglish wasn't fit and had to withdraw.

Also the notion of Alex Ferguson managing Kenny Dalglish seems odd.

Widely rumoured that Dalglish took the huff because Fergie left Hansen out of the squad. Hansen had a habit of pulling out of squads under Jock Stein, on one occasion walking off the training pitch with barely a word and going back to Liverpool for treatment on some “injury”… Stein wouldn’t have taken him and Fergie followed suit, David Narey went instead. Hansen only got 27 caps whilst he was undoubtedly one of the best defenders in Europe for a decade. Reading between the lines I reckon he just didn’t have the passion for it, and tbf he’s never really complained. Ferguson was always going to pick Miller and McLeish his Aberdeen boys anyway. Souness was Fergie’s skipper and he’s very complimentary about GS in his first book. Scotland needed to beat Uraguay to go through but despite playing against 10 men for 85 mins drew nil nil 😞

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Widely rumoured that Dalglish took the huff because Fergie left Hansen out of the squad. Hansen had a habit of pulling out of squads under Jock Stein, on one occasion walking off the training pitch with barely a word and going back to Liverpool for treatment on some “injury”… Stein wouldn’t have taken him and Fergie followed suit, David Narey went instead. Hansen only got 27 caps whilst he was undoubtedly one of the best defenders in Europe for a decade. Reading between the lines I reckon he just didn’t have the passion for it, and tbf he’s never really complained. Ferguson was always going to pick Miller and McLeish his Aberdeen boys anyway. Souness was Fergie’s skipper and he’s very complimentary about GS in his first book. Scotland needed to beat Uraguay to go through but despite playing against 10 men for 85 mins drew nil nil 😞

Should have been less than 10 tbh, and we should have had at least one penalty, hair pulling in the penalty box - a handful of Sharpe's mullet at a corner.

Uruguay being cunts ain't a new thing, Suarez and the like simply carrying on the tradition.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Should have been less than 10 tbh, and we should have had at least one penalty, hair pulling in the penalty box - a handful of Sharpe's mullet at a corner.

Uruguay being cunts ain't a new thing, Suarez and the like simply carrying on the tradition.

Sharp was fuckin useless throughout i throughout . Suffered from lack of service like all Scottish strikers of the 80s but still….was great for his club, another common issue back then…

Just now, PaddockLad said:

Sharp was fuckin useless throughout i throughout . Suffered from lack of service like all Scottish strikers of the 80s but still….was great for his club, another common issue back then…

Yep, I remember a photo of the hair pull, but can't find it online