World Cup 2022

Grandstand, fucking hell. 

Knowing now that Frank Bough liked nothing better than a nose full of Charles and a bum full of his Mrs’ strap-on puts a whole different slant in his laid back intros to Wrestling from Milton Keynes Sports Centre. 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Wasn’t that in September?

Just saw a quote today, didn't check any date on the article, will see if I can find it again.

Edited by Toonpack

I'm not worried about it affecting our momentum. The break will do us good and as long as we return to the field with the same fundamentals, we'll continue to cause problems for every team we play. 

If anything, giving Howe another mini pre-season should worry our opponents more than us. 

• Like 1

Yeh I think it'll do us well - plus we've got players like Isak to come back and ASM gets more time to pull his finger out his arse and get properly fit. 

If there's one thing the past few games have taught me (particularly Villa/Southampton) is that we don't do complacency. 

However I do agree about the World Cup. I have little to no enthusiasm for it. 

A World Cup for me is beer gardens, seeing friends, mass positivity followed by inevitable disappointment. 

• Like 1

A colleague is taking 10 days leave from a week today so he can watch all the group games. Four games a day from next Tuesday :lol: He’s a Birmingham City fan. Not sure if this is relevant..

A work colleague of the current Mrs PL is taking a laptop into the office to do the same. He’s an AFCB season ticket holder 

So there is interest out there….bizarre as it seems.. :huh:

• Haha 1

I’m torn on this. 

I would rather there wasn’t this ridiculous winter World Cup. It’s stopped us just as we were on a ridiculous run of form and those teams who are struggling might be more grateful for the break.

However, I’d agree that we will be less affected than the other clubs chasing Europe because we’re sending fewer players. Plus we only have a couple of games till the transfer window opens and I expect us to make a couple of big signings given where we are in the league. If we qualify for the CL this season we’re probably 2-3 seasons ahead of schedule, so the owners may be tempted to go large. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

I honestly think our current league position has something to do with the Saudi sponsorship logos popping up at the ground all of a sudden.

"fair market value" is a bit different when you're 3rd.

• Like 2

I think we'll be fine - our form has carried on both pre and post summer, and the reality I think is that if we're going to cement ourselves at the top end we need to just be a good team, rather than a team on a good run. I also think we've dropped off a bit in the last few games with the defence and even Bruno started to make misplays here and there. Still good enough to do what we need to, but perhaps tired? The break could well have come at a good time for us.

It also carries us on into January which gives us the transfer window to make adjustments as we need to. Only downside to that is that Maddison's value will skyrocket if he has a good world cup and we may lose him to one of the few bigger teams still in the mix.

I couldn't care less about the tournament itself although now that we have some players going I will probably follow the games out of my emotional investment in them more than anything else.

• Like 1