Bruno Guimarães

wykikitoon

Are we any closer to knowing who Bruno comes in for, if or when he starts?  It’s almost like we have the perfect balance between passing (shelvey), tenacity (Joelinton) and running (willock). How can you drop any of them?

We may just have signed the most expensive bench warmer in the league. 

Never thought I would have posted that a few weeks back. The way they’ve raised their game from earlier in the season is unbelievable. Not just that but the way they’re executing Howe’s game plan. It’s gone from our weakest part of the pitch to our strongest - and it’s all the same players who looked shite a short while back. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Are we any closer to knowing who Bruno comes in for, if or when he starts?  It’s almost like we have the perfect balance between passing (shelvey), tenacity (Joelinton) and running (willock). How can you drop any of them?

We may just have signed the most expensive bench warmer in the league. 

Building a squad rather than just a team. And it's something we're just not used to. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Having Bruno in the squad has helped with raising the competition for places.  Something we haven't had for years in that position.

Exactly. It'll take time but we'll move towards having a bench containing players most teams in the league would have in their starting line up. 

• Like 1

I think he eventually comes in for Shelvey, but the three of them are undroppable atm.  Bruno needs one of them to get injured or have a shite game, or he might be waiting until Howe thinks we're near enough safe.  Once we're safe I think he'll be starting games - just makes no sense to fuck with things atm.  Long term this is the perfect way to get introduced to a new league, just probably feels shite to him atm. 

• Like 4

Im sure he'd love to play but every game so far has had obvious reasons for him not to, his time will come and he will undoubtedly be a key player for us in the next few years.

This uptick by our other midfielders gives him the chance to settle in, learn more english, train more with the team and be ready to step in when he is needed.

due to not having cups or many of our fixtures rearranged we play once a week til the end of the season so fatigue shouldn't be too much of a problem, there'll just be a game where he gets more minutes and eventually a start or two while he beds in.

• Like 1

Personally I’m looking forward to him replacing Shelvey. Not that I wish for it but the moment Shelvey has a poor game I’d yank the bloke from the first 11. He’s been a lazy fucking bastard for 7 year or whatever it is he’s been at us, and has just decided to pull his socks up a bit once real competition comes in. I can’t wait until we see the back of him. 

I honestly don’t think Shelvey has even been as deserving of plaudits like the other two (one game aside where I’ll admit he played really well), he’s been fine and not put a foot wrong but he also hasn’t been doing anything that Bruno couldn’t do (unless Bruno is wank like Longstaff).

I completely understand why Howe keeps the line up the same, it makes sense with the way the team is playing at the moment. There is always the chance that it upsets the balance or something, I don’t think it will as Bruno will likely be better at every part of the game than Shelvey is, but there is a chance I suppose. 

Btw, I know he’s only getting tiny cameos at the moment but the first pass Bruno made after coming on was class. He just rolled his marker and flicked the ball right through the West Ham defence for Murphy to run onto. It might be a little bit before we see him play a good amount but he looks like a real talent. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 4

I think you could argue that to get the most out of the deep lying playmaker role that Bruno would replace Shelvey in, its important to have a really good idea of how your team mates are going to run/move to help you pick your passes.

In which case the more training time Bruno gets before the pressure of a start to shoulder that responsibility the better (up to a point of course)

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I think you could argue that to get the most out of the deep lying playmaker role that Bruno would replace Shelvey in, its important to have a really good idea of how your team mates are going to run/move to help you pick your passes.

In which case the more training time Bruno gets before the pressure of a start to shoulder that responsibility the better (up to a point of course)

Completely agree, I’m happy we have this current situation where we don’t have to just throw the bloke in and hope it clicks. I just am really looking forward to seeing Shelvey gone. Honestly wish this season would just fucking end :lol:.

It’s not just Shelvey mind, I’m really looking forward to a summer clear out.

• Like 3

Aye Shelvey has too long a history of letting us down due to his terrible decision making or laziness to get a lot of credit for this purple patch, I'll be glad to see him go but if he can keep this form up into the late season then I'd at least be thankful and happily send him on his way.

I think we're seeing under a proper manager, with a proper club all pointing in the right direction now that a lot of the players who we'd have said good riddance to in the past have some actual merit and can be part of a premier league squad, while we're going to strengthen and spend over the next few years the list of players I am desperate for us to just get shut of is actually getting shorter rather than longer as we go.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Aye Shelvey has too long a history of letting us down due to his terrible decision making or laziness to get a lot of credit for this purple patch, I'll be glad to see him go but if he can keep this form up into the late season then I'd at least be thankful and happily send him on his way.

I think we're seeing under a proper manager, with a proper club all pointing in the right direction now that a lot of the players who we'd have said good riddance to in the past have some actual merit and can be part of a premier league squad, while we're going to strengthen and spend over the next few years the list of players I am desperate for us to just get shut of is actually getting shorter rather than longer as we go.

Aye that’s fair. Willock definitely is in that category for me, he’s looking like he might actually have a future at Newcastle. I can honestly also see Shelvey staying unless a bid comes in, as it’d be too much bringing in players for the first 11 and subs bench. He’s a fair weather player imo, he tends to play well when the team is playing well and isn’t one to take games by the neck and drive the team on which for a bloke that clearly has talent is immensely frustrating. 

Your first paragraph is a great summary of the situation. 

You could see in Willock body language how shit it was.  He doesn't have the temperament that Shelvey has (or had?) and just fucked it all off.  But it seriously affected his game.  Now look at him.  Them in fact.

Yet the lazy fucking jurnos will blame Ashley.  Not the act that Rafa got a tune out of some of the shite under a shite situation.  Put a shite lazy fucker like Brewcie in a shite environment and look what happens.

• Like 3

It is hard to blame the players. I don't care what people say about their wages and dream job etc. when you are in a negative environment,  it impacts on your performance. I have worked in one before and it is depressing how it sucks you in. Part of me wonders how much of Ashley's toxic atmosphere impacted on Bruce (to a further degree, I am not a fan of Bruce). To start with, I enjoyed a bit of attacking football e.g. the cup game at home we lost to Leicester on penalties. I think Willock will have come in and managed to keep his head down and keep going but one you are sucked in it is hard to lift your head. 

• Like 6

Howe was saying that Bruno can play as a 6, in a double 6 formation or as a 10. So I think, given his obvious quality, it’s unlikely he’d do anything bar improve the team. But I can definitely see the logic in taking advantage of the luxury of being able to introduce him very gradually. It keeps the morale up of those doing so well in midfield and takes away a lot of the pressure of being a big signing etc. Contrast that with Bruce playing Joelinton out of position and destroying his confidence. Obviously you need a bit of luck as a manager and he’s only been able to do this because the 3 in the middle of the park have been doing the business 

• Like 2