Toontastic player of the season award 2021/22

Dr Gloom

Toontastic player of the season award 2021/22  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Bringing up Hayden is a good point because I was at my wits end with people telling me he was “useful” He was good for running about a bit. Bruno is what midfielders are supposed to look like. 

Aye I’ve got a mate who’s a lot younger than me who’s being saying for years that’s Hayden is our best player and the best midfielder he’s seen here. Poor fucker had only ever witnessed Ashley’s Newcastle so I suppose it’s difficult for him to understand how a midfielder is supposed to play.  

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Can't argue with a few players which is testament to the players themselves and the manager and coaches who've obviously pressed the right buttons. (Can't discount the fact that some players will be knowing the tossing it off days are gone and have refocused their attitudes). Anyway, it's been a bugbear of mine for ages and it's happened in other seasons but under Ashley we've sometimes decided that left backs are a subject that divides football, 99.9% reckon a team should have one and NUFC think we'll be ok without. Our left side absolutely killed us up till Howe coming in and Targett has been solid just about every game at the very least, struggling to think of a time I've got really nervous when he's on the ball and he's a knack of winning possession with tackles out of nowhere. Others will have just as good claims and I wouldn't dispute it really but he's made an absolute difference especially when he's sometimes had ASM in front of him not always being on the ball for helping out. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Can't argue with a few players which is testament to the players themselves and the manager and coaches who've obviously pressed the right buttons. (Can't discount the fact that some players will be knowing the tossing it off days are gone and have refocused their attitudes). Anyway, it's been a bugbear of mine for ages and it's happened in other seasons but under Ashley we've sometimes decided that left backs are a subject that divides football, 99.9% reckon a team should have one and NUFC think we'll be ok without. Our left side absolutely killed us up till Howe coming in and Targett has been solid just about every game at the very least, struggling to think of a time I've got really nervous when he's on the ball and he's a knack of winning possession with tackles out of nowhere. Others will have just as good claims and I wouldn't dispute it really but he's made an absolute difference especially when he's sometimes had ASM in front of him not always being on the ball for helping out. 

Targett has impressed me more than I thought him capable of, but him being miles better than playing Ritchie at leftback doesn’t mKe him player of the season and doesn’t mean we maybe should be looking for better next season.  
I’m certainly conflicted that I might be being harsh on him especially when I thought he was excellent the last two games. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, David Kelly said:

But I just can’t look past Joe because his turnaround and his contribution since that Norwich game have been immense. 

Just about the only useful thing Clark has done in years was getting sent off that day. 🙂 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Targett has impressed me more than I thought him capable of, but him being miles better than playing Ritchie at leftback doesn’t mKe him player of the season and doesn’t mean we maybe should be looking for better next season.  
I’m certainly conflicted that I might be being harsh on him especially when I thought he was excellent the last two games. 

I think at his age and for the money quoted, signing Targett to be first choice next season is a no brainer.

It allows us to concentrate funds on more important areas (forwards) this summer and upgrade in Targett in a year or two without losing much for it. 

Id like a more marauding left back but his conservativeness does mean that we stay balanced with ASM in front of him. 

• Like 3

Makes a pleasant change to have a discussion based on who has been the best of a good number of players as opposed to who was the best of a bad bunch.

• Like 4

I wonder if Lewis might do a decent job as his understudy. You’d think he’s a better player than he looked under Bruce and playing alongside Trippier / Schar / Burn with a much improved midfield might make him look a totally different player. In any case, I would sign Targett even if we could get a better LB too

• Like 2

9 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Totally get that he might not be player of the season but the difference and balance he's brought to the side has been massive, there's no doubt in my mind that opposition managers targeted our left side but they've had very little joy since Targett arrived and I give him massive kudos for our last minute winner v Leicester. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Howe was saying that Lewis has had a few surgeries since the new year so that explains why he didn’t make the 25 after January. Maybe there is a way back for him

And another refreshing change is the transparency from the coaching team. It's good to know what is going on rather than just hear "a few players are carrying....." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Totally get that he might not be player of the season but the difference and balance he's brought to the side has been massive, there's no doubt in my mind that opposition managers targeted our left side but they've had very little joy since Targett arrived and I give him massive kudos for our last minute winner v Leicester. 

Oh aye he’s been a massive difference. The question is just is that just because he’s an actual leftback compared to Ritchie playing there, or is he really good. I’m undecided still but I certainly think he’s playing well at the moment. 

• Like 1

On 22/04/2022 at 09:19, Andrew said:

The new players have been great but it's got to be joelinton. His finishing is as shit as ever but everything else about him has been transformed. 

Nailed on player of the season now like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6