April is limb difference awareness month

KingKev1984

It’s depressing in this day and age that these voices need to be amplified but the abuse given to Jordan Pickford over his supposedly shorter than average arms shows that while we have moved a long way when it comes to racial and gender discrimination, we are still lagging behind when it comes to respecting those with limb differences.

Now would be a great time to educate yourselves as to why there really is no acceptable way to joke about limb difference.

https://www.limblosslimbdifference.co.uk

and for those who want to support the cause, the Lucky Fin Project has a great social media presence for families dealing with this surprisingly common issue.

Thanks for reading!

So it's fine to deport asylum seekers to Rwanda, but wrong to take the piss out of Pickford for having short arms?

I mean the blokes an international goalkeeper so I imagine his arms are long enough for him to be classed as able bodied. 

Odd moral compass you have there fella...

• Like 2

It's not even really about the same thing. Pickford hasnt lost any limbs ffs, he's just a short arse. Worse than that, he's a mackem. The two attributes combined make him objectively hilarious.

This is probably the weirdest topic for a while. I'm struggling to imagine that this was posted with sincerity which means that it's actually just using this apparently real issue as part of a joke. 

I feel we have a tendency to assume people are mackems a bit too readily sometimes but I think I agree with Craig here. The brexity politics also seals it for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Lad I used to work with had a Jeremy Beadle hand, his nickname at school was Clock. 

:lol: Kids are brutal 

lad from anfield plain I did me apprenticeship with at the ever ready only had one ear. bizarrely he claimed the other one was inside his head but hadn't folded out due his mother being a bus conductress and her ticket machine had applied pressure there throughout her pregnancy. reckoned he could've had an operation to get it out but it would cause inbalance and he'd topple over all the time.

anyway, his nickname was monophone head.

he didn't seem to mind.  :)

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, KingKev1984 said:

It’s depressing in this day and age that these voices need to be amplified but the abuse given to Jordan Pickford over his supposedly shorter than average arms shows that while we have moved a long way when it comes to racial and gender discrimination, we are still lagging behind when it comes to respecting those with limb differences.

Now would be a great time to educate yourselves as to why there really is no acceptable way to joke about limb difference.

https://www.limblosslimbdifference.co.uk

and for those who want to support the cause, the Lucky Fin Project has a great social media presence for families dealing with this surprisingly common issue.

Thanks for reading!

Go Away Do Not Want GIF

Heard about a bloke with one leg a little bit shorter than his other leg from someone who worked with them. His head would bobble slightly from one side to the other as he walked. His nickname was 'Sniper's Nightmare'. 

• Haha 5

Not a limbs disability but I do remember a former manager who was a guide for the brewery tours who apparently had a colostomy bag in his side. His nickname was 'The Northumbrian Piper'. :lol:

• Haha 1

KCG's tale reminds me of a joke about a former soldier going for a job interview with Newcastle City council. The manager tells him that he's going to be offered the job as they like to support ex-armed servicemen. He asks if he has any medical conditions they should know about? The former squaddie says he lost his testicles in the Falklands and also has a caffeine allergy. The manager replies, "Ok, that shouldn't be a massive problem for you here. We start at nine and finish at five but you can start at eleven instead." The squaddie asks why? The manager says, "Well here at the council we just sit around drinking coffee and scratching our balls for the first couple of hours so pointless you coming in to be honest."

• Haha 6

On 23/04/2022 at 11:23, Howmanheyman said:

Heard about a bloke with one leg a little bit shorter than his other leg from someone who worked with them. His head would bobble slightly from one side to the other as he walked. His nickname was 'Sniper's Nightmare'. 

Was his real name Bob ??

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, KingKev1984 said:

The responses show why these awareness months are necessary.

Normalising ridicule based on physical difference is not acceptable.

It’s incredible that this plays allows such hatred to flourish.

Since when is a bit of armless fun, hatred FFS

(oh and it's "place")

• Haha 2

Right - we’ve had our fun but I reckon we should consider donating to this. 

Obviously we need a concensus, but as I’m not the thread starter I can’t put a poll on. 

So, everyone in favour raise your righ…

… oh. 

• Haha 4