Howe's It Gan Pet v Captain Scarlet wannabe, Playmobil Fam, Blood, Ya Get Me?

wykikitoon

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Sticking up for your own I see :cuppa: /paddocklad 

I’m not suggesting Gloom represents all mainstream media/metropolitan elite soft southern shandy drinking coat wearing northern-passport-handed-in absolute fuckin weapons everywhere, but he’d definitely get an interview for that gig :cuppa:

• Haha 8

28 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I’m not suggesting Gloom represents all mainstream media/metropolitan elite soft southern shandy drinking coat wearing northern-passport-handed-in absolute fuckin weapons everywhere, but he’d definitely get an interview for that gig :cuppa:

Guilty as charged :lol:

Other than the ale and whisky. I lost me accent but managed to cling on to the Geordie piss artist tradition.

Edited by Dr Gloom

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Guilty as charged :lol:

Other than the ale and whisky. I lost me accent but managed to cling on to the Geordie piss artist tradition.

I’ve never understood that. I’ve lived all over the shop and aye me accent may be slightly milder, I just can’t see how you can actually lose it other than by choice.

My Brother lives in scouseland and has done for 20 years or so but other than a few scouse words or phrases he sounds exactly the same.

Got mates from Scotland, Wales. Brum, London etc etc, all who re located years ago and have fully kept their accent.

Not having dig like, just genuinely curious.

6 minutes ago, Dougle said:

I’ve never understood that. I’ve lived all over the shop and aye me accent may be slightly milder, I just can’t see how you can actually lose it other than by choice.

My Brother lives in scouseland and has done for 20 years or so but other than a few scouse words or phrases he sounds exactly the same.

Got mates from Scotland, Wales. Brum, London etc etc, all who re located years ago and have fully kept their accent.

Not having dig like, just genuinely curious.

It wasn’t really intentional. I never really had a strong accent so there wasn’t much of one to lose in the first place. Neither of my parents are from the area so I always had a softer accent at home than when I was out with mates in the north east. Left Newcastle in 97 so been living away from the area longer than I lived there now. It still comes out when I’ve had a drink or am back home with old friends but people down here are often surprised when I tell them I’m a Geordie because I sound fuck all like Ant and Dec  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It wasn’t really intentional. I never really had a strong accent so there wasn’t much of one to lose in the first place. Neither of my parents are from the area so I always had a softer accent at home than when I was out with mates in the north east. Left Newcastle in 97 so been living away from the area longer than I lived there now. It still comes out when I’ve had a drink or am back home with old friends but people down here are often surprised when I tell them I’m a Geordie because I sound fuck all like Ant and Dec  

Very similar here; my Dad is Glaswegian and Mam is Cockney, left Newcastle 2002 for Leeds Uni (no Geordies), then London where it was really only Matt who had a Geordie accent (Soz Meenz) , now Cheshire (0 Geordies).

People round here say they can detect a 'Northern' accent, but only when I say certain words can they narrow it down. Only comes out when I've had a few/I've been talking to mates from home/I'm reading my little lad a bedtime story*.

*all heroes of the story are Geordies, antagonists are either posh or Scouse.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Very similar here; my Dad is Glaswegian and Mam is Cockney, left Newcastle 2002 for Leeds Uni (no Geordies), then London where it was really only Matt who had a Geordie accent (Soz Meenz) , now Cheshire (0 Geordies).

People round here say they can detect a 'Northern' accent, but only when I say certain words can they narrow it down. Only comes out when I've had a few/I've been talking to mates from home/I'm reading my little lad a bedtime story*.

"And son, this is where we see that, compared to last storytime, the Big Bad Wolf's XH is skyrocketing with the amount of houses he managed to blow down"

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, strawb said:

Sounds like you two puffs are trying to hide your roots

Tell you what, I'll dust my roots off, shine 'em up real nice, turn 'em sideways and stick them STRAIGHT UP, YOUR CANDY ASS.

If ya suhmellllelelelelelelelell, what the ... etc.

Anyway, I heard a rumour that you've starting complaining to "our kid" that your Mrs "mithers" you about dropping the "barmcakes" in the "ginnel".

2 minutes ago, strawb said:

I’ve got a boro accent mate. If I could get rid I fucking would 

Thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, strawb said:

Sounds like you two puffs are trying to hide your roots

it's not a lack of pride. i don't hide the fact i'm a geordie, or a newcastle fan. i still call newcastle "home" despite not living there for 25 years.

i just sound like a generic southern wanker. or puff, if you like.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

You seem to be partially suggesting here that because no-one else speaks like you, change to fit in?

I know a lass from Cramlington who spoke like a Shields fishwife, she’s lived in Florida for 20 years and speaks like a native now, also, a Canadian lad who’s lived over here for a similar time, still got a thick Canuck accent. 

I lived in France for 10 years, spoke French with a local accent because it’s how I learned it, spoke English with my Newcastle accent - I had to slow it down and lose a lot of the slang to make myself understood to the Ozzies and Yanks when I worked with them, but kept the accent. 

My point is some people keep it, some lose it, some end up with a mix,  so what?  :dunno:

• Like 3

Got a mate from the West Country who has lived in Melbourne for 15 years who now sounds like an Aussie red neck. Absolutely  bizarre and he gets even more grief for it than I do from my Geordie mates about how I’ve ended up sounding 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I know a lass from Cramlington who spoke like a Shields fishwife, she’s lived in Florida for 20 years and speaks like a native now, also, a Canadian lad who’s lived over here for a similar time, still got a thick Canuck accent. 

I lived in France for 10 years, spoke French with a local accent because it’s how I learned it, spoke English with my Newcastle accent - I had to slow it down and lose a lot of the slang to make myself understood to the Ozzies and Yanks when I worked with them, but kept the accent. 

My point is some people keep it, some lose it, some end up with a mix,  so what?  :dunno:

:lol:

I learnt from a young age on visits to Northern Ireland the smile, nodding etc when they hadn't got a fucking clue what I'd said. Had the same vibe in Mexico talking to Yanks. :D

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

It's interesting man, nowt more or less.

I went to school with a lass who completely lost here Northumbrian accent after three months at Teeside Uni, for a pseudo cockney one.

My Aunty, brought up in Ashington till well into adulthood, spoke the most perfect local accent after a couple of years in a town in Sussex.

As you say, so what, other than it being vaguely interesting?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

:lol:

I learnt from a young age on visits to Northern Ireland the smile, nodding etc when they hadn't got a fucking clue what I'd said. Had the same vibe in Mexico talking to Yanks. :D

Oh no, they understood you perfectly. They understood that you were FUCKING ENGLISH.

• Haha 7

15 hours ago, Dougle said:

You seem to be partially suggesting here that because no-one else speaks like you, change to fit in?

Dunno if I changed to fit in, or if I improvise, adapt, overcome.

gear up arnold schwarzenegger GIF

• Haha 1