Club Crest

Craig

I've zero problems with the current crest, liked it straight away and I liked it's two predecessors as well but thought it looked classier than them. Look at Man U and Arsenal for 'subtle' updates, both almost cartoon versions of the originals. The omitting of 'football club' is dressed up to say it's more than a football club, it's a community, well I'm calling bullshit on that and saying the omission is taking away the 'football club' in the direction of 'brand'. 

I think Man Utd removing 'Football Club' was sold as something to do with being able to scale it and keep the clarity, but I do agree with you that their reasoning was clearly to create a brand. 

I hated the current crest when it first came out as I associated it with the disaster that was the 1988/89 season - especially when you consider it was used on the same shirt design as the previous season when we finished 8th. The Keegan years changed my opinion on it though, especially on the 'grandad collar' shirt when it complemented it perfectly.

Change is inevitable and I'm not naïve enough to think it'll always stay the same. The subtle update in the article looks OK but I think i'd actually prefer them to do a full design as opposed to mess with what we've already got if that makes sense.

It's only in reflection you realise how iconic the 2 predecessors were when you consider their combined time on the shirt is less than a third of the time this current variant has been in use.

• Like 1

Just now, Monkeys Fist said:

I’d like to know the thoughts of Adam Paedson, Steve Wraith and Holly Whosname on this…

Preferably in a 10:09 minute long video, guys. 

Pearson and Blades are younger than the badge so have no fucking right for input. Wraith most likely will claim he designed the current one.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Craig said:

Pearson and Blades are younger than the badge so have no fucking right for input.

Tbf, you’re ruling out a large proportion of the home and away fans there too. 
Rather than their age, I’d choose their fuck-knucklery as a reason to dismiss them, which also, conveniently, covers Mr. Wraith. :lol:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Craig said:

I think Man Utd removing 'Football Club' was sold as something to do with being able to scale it and keep the clarity, but I do agree with you that their reasoning was clearly to create a brand. 

I hated the current crest when it first came out as I associated it with the disaster that was the 1988/89 season - especially when you consider it was used on the same shirt design as the previous season when we finished 8th. The Keegan years changed my opinion on it though, especially on the 'grandad collar' shirt when it complemented it perfectly.

Change is inevitable and I'm not naïve enough to think it'll always stay the same. The subtle update in the article looks OK but I think i'd actually prefer them to do a full design as opposed to mess with what we've already got if that makes sense.

It's only in reflection you realise how iconic the 2 predecessors were when you consider their combined time on the shirt is less than a third of the time this current variant has been in use.

The earlier two seem like they were around longer as I'm guessing we were kids/teens so it seemed to last forever. I got the home shirt the relegation year as it, in my eyes, looked immense and classier than the NUFC one which I liked as well as magpie in front of the castle which was the first I remember. It may well change and of course nobody is going to ask my opinion or take any notice of what I think so it's out of my hands but I'd hate to see something like some of the examples put on the Ronny piece, see also the shirts some of our fans mock up and put online, vast majority are horrendous. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'd hate to see something like some of the examples put on the Ronny piece

I think the rework of the 1976-1983 badge they've posted looks good. I agree the rest look utter turds though

The two magpie badges are quite nice examples of unfussy modern design. I quite like them. I don’t like the take on tne shield design.

The reworked version of the existing badge would be my preference.

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

The top three, which I quite like, need a flash of red somewhere in them, otherwise they’d just get lost on the shirt. 

Given the official city crest has 3 grey castles on a red background, you could use the middle one of the 3 with that update to build in the red. Mind you, the millennials and Gen-Z out there would have a fucking shit-fit because we dare to have mackem colour on our shirt (despite it being a traditional colour of the city). 

• Haha 1

I think top left and top right from those. They have the look of a serious European club. The middle magpie one is maybe more charming but I don't think has the same gravitas.

37 minutes ago, Craig said:

1_Cue-810-x-539-12.jpg

0_Newcastle-united-badge-redesign.jpg

Out of the top ones I like the middle one, I feel like the other two strip out a bit too much. 

I think if it was to change it wouldn’t be as subtle as the tweaks on the bottom, recent changes have tried to really simplify the logo which is definitely for branding purposes - see the Juventus and Man City changes. 

Edited by Howay

30 minutes ago, Craig said:

Given the official city crest has 3 grey castles on a red background, you could use the middle one of the 3 with that update to build in the red. Mind you, the millennials and Gen-Z out there would have a fucking shit-fit because we dare to have mackem colour on our shirt (despite it being a traditional colour of the city). 

Plus we already have red in our badge.

45 minutes ago, Craig said:

Something like that maybe?

ch_nufc.thumb.jpg.9c341aca7e7a522eb959e810c63170fd.jpg

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

That’ll do me. 

i like it too but suspect it's too busy. it'll be massively dumbed down if recent badge redesigns by other clubs is anything to go by 

2 hours ago, Craig said:

1_Cue-810-x-539-12.jpg

0_Newcastle-united-badge-redesign.jpg

Out of the top three, none. You might as well have the original of the middle badge if you're going to go with the blue version. The other two look absolutely shite and amateurish.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I like this from a few years ago. Was gonna be the 125 year anniversary crest.

0061E323-F081-4928-88DC-BE9CCC160ABB.jpeg

That I like. :good:

Edited by Howmanheyman