Nick Pope

i'm not 100% sold on pope. not sure he's the keeper for the long term if we're looking to play out from the back - i dunno if he's comfortable enough with the ball at his feet under pressure, but like AH says he must be a better option to challenge dubravka than the likes of darlow and woodman

I like Pope tbf, I know Dubravka is a canny keeper but he’s also missed half our games over the last two seasons - however you rate them both as AH says we now have genuine competition in that position rather than dropping from Dubs to Darlow for half the season. A relatively small outlay as well given the state of the market. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

I’m a bit underwhelmed. It’s a decent fee but I am not sure that Pope offers a serious upgrade on what we already do have.

He’s one for now rather than the future in that he’s better than our current reserve keepers and might challenge dubravka for the starting spot. 

We’re going to see a fair bit of this type of signing I think until we’re able to over European football that attracts the top players. We’ll get the odd gem along the way and a few which feel more underwhelming but still improve the squad. 

We’d be pretty happy if Ashley signed him. I’m a little underwhelmed because the new owners have raised my expectations.  

Yeh very good signing. Especially as we'll see the back of Darlow & Woodman, who sadly aren't really good enough even for the level we're at now.

Longterm Woodman might be decent, but he's done the right thing in going somewhere to get football. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I like this Romano. He seems to take his role seriously in that he doesn't just post bullshit to get clicks. Can't think of much he's said about us that hasn't been right. 

he’s no Sean “like I said” Casey

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm not 100% sold on pope. not sure he's the keeper for the long term if we're looking to play out from the back - i dunno if he's comfortable enough with the ball at his feet under pressure, but like AH says he must be a better option to challenge dubravka than the likes of darlow and woodman

Does/did Howe employ this tactic regularly then? 🤔 

10 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Does/did Howe employ this tactic regularly then? 🤔 

I dunno. Doesn’t he? We tried to play it out from the back this season with varied success. 

It’s the way the game is going. All the best sides have sweeper keepers who can take a touch under pressure and play it out instead of lumping it long.

26 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I dunno. Doesn’t he? We tried to play it out from the back this season with varied success. 

It’s the way the game is going. All the best sides have sweeper keepers who can take a touch under pressure and play it out instead of lumping it long.

This signing suggests we’re maybe  going to walk before we can run in that regard…think KD had it right earlier , it’s something and nothing . Most premier league standard keepers can play a bit. I think it’s a good signing for where we might be targetting ie West Ham/Leicester area. Alison/Ederson standard may have to wait…they’re the ones most often labelled “sweeper keeper”….apart from Dave Beasant, obvs.. :cuppa: