Nick Pope

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Improves the squad and, arguably at least, the first team for not much outlay. It’s a no-brainer really. 

I do not disagree. I was hoping we wouldn’t just go for a decent shot stopper but one with a better football brain, like Leno. The transfer does still make a lot of sense though and Rome wasn’t built in one day…

• Like 1

Yeah I think this is a far better outcome than Henderson so I'm pleased to see it.

Not sure this is as key a position to cover as the club seem to have decided, but more depth is never a bad thing, and this is quality depth.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah I think this is a far better outcome than Henderson so I'm pleased to see it.

Not sure this is as key a position to cover as the club seem to have decided, but more depth is never a bad thing, and this is quality depth.

I said the same when we first signed Dubravka on loan. I didn't think the 'keeper was a priority position, but then it shows I know fuck all because we were much better as a team when we brought him in.

• Like 1

Aye. Dubravka is Hollywood at times and prone to awful errors at others. Some consistency can't hurt. 

Plus Pope behind a decent defence will see a much calmer keeper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I think he starts over Dubravka tbh 

There's absolutely no 'think' about this. There's no way one of England's 3 regular selected goalkeepers is going to join a new club without assurances that he'll be first choice.

• Like 2

I reckon he won't , not immediately anyway - from my perspective, Howe has always made people fight their way into the team , if the previous first choice is fit. Look at how long he took to be "kind to Lascelles" and Longstaff playing over Bruno etc.

I'm absolutely delighted that my wet dream of bringing in fringe and established England players is coming true, we've definitely asked after a few now.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, scoobos said:

I reckon he won't , not immediately anyway - from my perspective, Howe has always made people fight their way into the team , if the previous first choice is fit. Look at how long he took to be "kind to Lascelles" and Longstaff playing over Bruno etc.

I'm absolutely delighted that my wet dream of bringing in fringe and established England players is coming true, we've definitely asked after a few now.

I know what you mean about Howe wanting players to play their way into the team, but that was during a season. With a clean slate and a blank league table he can pick whatever team he likes for Game 1.

• Like 4

If anyone is interested the England social media team put training videos up and there are a few of Pope and the other goalkeepers.

I am aware that it may be a niche market

3 hours ago, strawb said:

If anyone is interested the England social media team put training videos up and there are a few of Pope and the other goalkeepers.

I am aware that it may be a niche market

challenging-wank-sean-lock.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3