Nick Pope

He's been immense. Having a brilliant defence in front of you helps but he's been near flawless everytime he's been called upon. 

Seems very commanding and in charge of his box as well. How the hell do you score when you've got that plus Schar/Botman/Tripper/Burn in front of him? No wonder its's the best defence in the league :lol: 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

Seems very commanding and in charge of his box as well. How the hell do you score when you've got that plus Schar/Botman/Tripper/Burn in front of him? No wonder its's the best defence in the league :lol: 

Obviously they’ve all been immense but it is a massive help when you’ve six players in front of you grafting and trying to ensure the ball doesn’t reach your own third. Burn’s goal yesterday came from him and Willock pressing hard in the last 10 yards of the pitch. Contrast that with the almost constant pressure the back line was under when Bruce and Benitez were in charge.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

BTW £10m What a fuckng signing.

The whole distribution shite is bollocks.  He's a superb shot stopper and the way he reads the game is mint. He's quick of his line and superb.  I feel so comfortable with him in net.  He's fucking miles better than Pickford. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

The whole distribution shite is bollocks.  He's a superb shot stopper and the way he reads the game is mint. He's quick of his line and superb.  I feel so comfortable with him in net.  He's fucking miles better than Pickford. 

that save today was unbelievable. Had fuck all to do all day then pulls off a worldie when called upon 

• Like 5

That was the type of save that's so good it feels like we've scored. Absolutely amazing that he even got a hand to it let alone a solid enough touch to nick it over the bar. He's such a quality keeper. Full credit to Brucey for recommending the signing to the former Bournemouth manager.

• Haha 8

39 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Aye, also his distribution is brilliant funnily enough. The drop off when Dubravka come in for the cup game was noticeable imo with the quality of balls out from the keeper, Pope is so accurate with his throws and long passes. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Howay said:

Aye, also his distribution is brilliant funnily enough. The drop off when Dubravka come in for the cup game was noticeable imo with the quality of balls out from the keeper, Pope is so accurate with his throws and long passes. 

Exactly! His long kicks are not there, but who the fuck cares?! We dont have Lee fucking Chapman up front!

• 1 month later...

Hopefully aye, tbf there’s fucking no point in him going with the England squad Southgate will always go with Pickford for whatever inexplicable reason the stupid cunt has for that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

In fairness Pope's weakness with his feet is an understandable black mark against him starting for England. As much as we like to slag Pickford he's a very decent shot stopper, not as consistent as Pope in that respect given Pope rarely makes a mistake with his hands and Pickford can drop the odd clanger, but Pickford is very good with his feet and again only marginally worse in terms of shot stopping. 

Edited by Polarboy

If you take kicking out of it then Pope is by far the superior keeper - although I have noticed that he doesn’t come for as many crosses as he did in his first few games.

However, a pre-req for a world class GK requires excellence with your feet which Pickford has. Tiny arms though. 

Edited by Holden McGroin

I think Pickfords play with his feet is vastly overrated, he’s really not that good at it it’s not like he’s Allison or Ederson type passing range. He’s incredibly error prone, and he struggles to get up and across to shots which leads to conceding a lot of goals that other keepers would comfortably save. I’d rather have a keeper that can do his job of keeping the ball out the net and while Pope wobbled recently with his comfort on the ball from what I saw earlier in the season Pickford isn’t massively better than Pope with his feet. 

Pickford isn’t close to Pope for shot stopping imo there’s a huge gap. Pope saves the first goal we conceded against France comfortably, Pickford cost us that game as he has in the past and will continue to do so, on the flip side his supposedly brilliant passing adds nothing to Englands game over the other keepers. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 5

If you even accept that pickford is top class with his feet (which I don't), how many times has that come to englands real tangible benefit compared to the goals conceded due to the fact that hes not actually a particularly good shot stopper compared to the other options around?

• Like 2