2022/23 First Team Squad

wykikitoon

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I think Lascelles is good for the dressing room.  As is Ritchie.  I think Ritchie maybe picked in the 25 as he is quite versatile. 

Hope not but only because we need better. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Makes sense with Clark gone.

Yep although weirdly he's sat on the bench wearing a #15 training shirt :lol:

Edited by Craig

On 13/07/2022 at 04:30, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Ritchie seems like someone who will become one of those weird player/coaches that you see in the academy these days

A bit harsh maybe but I say he will find his new level.

33995145-1753677408053849-64264237023043

Don’t think it matters that much. As per last season if he’s not on the field, others will take over the role.

Also leaves the newer players free to get on with the actual football rather than carry the “burden” of captain.

Captaincy doesn't just happen on the pitch to be fair. Can't see Lascelles starting many games ahead of Botman, Burn, or Schar.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Captaincy doesn't just happen on the pitch to be fair. Can't see Lascelles starting many games ahead of Botman, Burn, or Schar.

This, he'll not play/start games much I wouldn't have thought, why rock the boat, armband on the pitch will be Tripper or maybe Wilson.

• Like 2

The captain should be on the pitch every game when fit IMO. I can understand keeping him as captain last season until it finished but this is the beginning of Eddies first full season why not just sort the captaincy out now. The whole thing is weird. 

Why does the club captain need to be on the pitch? 

If his leadership qualities outweigh his footballing qualities, and there are other leaders on the pitch, what's the harm? 

I couldn't give a toss about who the club captain is, because I'm zen as fuck.

• Like 1

Yeah you don't necessarily have to be playing to be a leader amongst the squad. It covers all facets, not just match play. 

Eddie clearly sees value in retaining Lascelles as club captain and unless some of you are wannabe Pearsons, stalking in the bushes at Darsley Park, we haven't really got an insight into what goes on outside of match time.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Just saw that.  Bit of an odd one IMO

Worked under Howe last season, why upset the apple cart? It didn't influence who got on the pitch.

I think last season it might have possibly rocked things, but it’s a fresh season now it should have went to Trippier. I don’t see the point in having a 28 year old captain who isn’t starter, he’s just a cheerleader at that point and he’s not a club legend as was the case for Noble remaining captain. 

I understand the captain does more than just on the pitch argument to a degree but at the same time him not having the captaincy doesn’t restrict him from speaking up or being a leader if he’s so good at it. I’d personally say being dropped almost immediately from a starting spot is more of a hit than losing captaincy to a title winning England international. 

Doesn’t make a difference to me overall but it is a weird move by Howe. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Howay said:

I think last season it might have possibly rocked things, but it’s a fresh season now it should have went to Trippier. I don’t see the point in having a 28 year old captain who isn’t starter, he’s just a cheerleader at that point and he’s not a club legend as was the case for Noble remaining captain. 

I understand the captain does more than just on the pitch argument to a degree but at the same time him not having the captaincy doesn’t restrict him from speaking up or being a leader if he’s so good at it. I’d personally say being dropped almost immediately from a starting spot is more of a hit than losing captaincy to a title winning England international. 

Doesn’t make a difference to me overall but it is a weird move by Howe. 

Alright Pearson 

6 hours ago, The Fish said:

Why does the club captain need to be on the pitch? 

If his leadership qualities outweigh his footballing qualities, and there are other leaders on the pitch, what's the harm? 

I couldn't give a toss about who the club captain is, because I'm zen as fuck.

Because at times during a match when things get tough and the team is under  pressure, players look to their captain for inspiration who drives them. Lascelles cant do that from the bench and if hes so good off the field then why cant he still be if he doesn't have the captaincy?? Does he just stop all that good off field work and sulk? 

TBF We have have leaders on the pitch in Trips and even Joe now.  I also don't think Lascelles is a sulker.

IMO Though, Trips should be the Captain as he is likely going to play more.  Lascelles can be club captain.  I also get that Howe wants to keep things on a balance and he is privy to more.

• Like 1

• Tom pinned this topic
  • Andrew unpinned this topic