2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

There's a documentary on Netflix called Untold: Operation Flagrant Foul which is about an MBA referee from the early 2000s who was giving betting picks to the mob. Some were for games that he personally reffed, but some weren't. 

What's interesting is he'll talk about specific situations like "This game was being reffed by [ref's name] and I knew that he was friendly with the coach of Team A and that he'd had a big bust up with the coach of Team B the season before, so I knew he'd be going out of his way to give calls to Team A."

When you hear it being talked about in those terms, you realise how simple it would be for a similar situation to crop up here. Add to that the fact that there are basically zero consequences for blatant mistakes that cost teams results, and it makes it even worse. 

Anyway this doc is worth a watch. 

Football in this country alone is a multibillion pound business.  Where there's that sort of money, it's going to be a target for corruption 

7 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Football in this country alone is a multibillion pound business.  Where there's that sort of money, it's going to be a target for corruption 

Happened in Germany a couple of years ago with a referee getting involved with the betting mafia.

It does prove how shit the refereeing can be if you can’t distinguish between simple mistakes and deliberately wrong decisions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Brighton v Palace postponed due to a rail strike. Didn't Brighton v NUFC go ahead during a rail strike? 

From what I’ve read local shuttle trains were still running when we played them but they wouldn’t be for this match. The proximity of the stadium means that local rail services need to be running for safety egress. Couple that with the fact that Brighton v Palace is considered a Derby (something I’ve always found a bit odd).

:lol: He’s got to be steaming drunk, how is he taking this much offense. What an absolute chode. That’s without even going into the fact this is a grown man upset about a 96 year old billionaire who had a mint life, and he didn’t actually know, dying ffs people need to get a grip. 

• Like 2

Just now, Gemmill said:

Oosh Lowes having himself an honest to goodness Goodbye England's Rose meltdown.

:lol: I think he's got a massive, and I mean massive grudge against anyone remotely popular with anything fan related like Pearson, Wraith, the podcast crew, true faith and all them, he's very bitter, and also very obviously sozzled when he has these rants. He needs to be more like this board, or the majority of it ;) who just take the piss out of them if anything.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I had to check that was the real Mick Lowes account. 

Not sure there’s much of a need or market for a parody version ;) 

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

:lol: I think he's got a massive, and I mean massive grudge against anyone remotely popular with anything fan related like Pearson, Wraith, the podcast crew, true faith and all them, he's very bitter, and also very obviously sozzled when he has these rants. He needs to be more like this board, or the majority of it ;) who just take the piss out of them if anything.

Fuck the fuck off 😉 

• Haha 3

• wykikitoon changed the title to 2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat