2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

Profligacy is costing Newcastle United right now. It contributed to their Carabao Cup final defeat against Manchester United and is the primary reason they have slipped out of the top four of the Premier League.

Before the World Cup break, Newcastle outperformed their expected goal (xG) return — which is calculated by measuring the quality of chances they have created — and had the sixth-best differential (4.01) in the Premier League. From an xG of 24.99 across 15 matches, they scored 29 goals.

Since the top flight’s post-Qatar return, however, no side has been as wasteful in front of goal. Across eight games, Newcastle have scored only six times, yet their xG has been 13.1, meaning a negative differential of 7.1.

Across the season, Newcastle’s goals-to-xG differential now stands at -3.09 (35 goals from an xG of 38.09), which is the seventh-worst in the top flight and the worst among the Premier League’s current top nine.

This lack of a clinical edge is why Newcastle have failed to win any of their last four in all competitions. They have claimed just six wins in 14 games since English football resumed, though four of those were in the Carabao Cup; in the Premier League, they have been only been victorious twice.

explosion GIF

• Haha 4

Great post Ewerk, thank you for posting, if I hadn't read that information I would never have realised, from simply watching the games, that we'd missed a shitload of easy chances.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

What’s going on with Ryan Fraser having to play in the reserves now?

Not enough xG

Doesnt suit the high press or low block

Poor in transition

Basically he crossed Eddie a few years ago and this is revenge being served cold

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

What’s going on with Ryan Fraser having to play in the reserves now?

I don't think he has good discipline and maybe told Wor Eddie to stop sucking farts out of a dead cat.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Holden McGroin said:

Fish will be fuming when he sees this.

Why would I be fuming about people being performatively grumpy and intransigent on talksport? 

It's their job to hold shitty ill-informed opinions.

I assume he turned down that move to Hull with Darlow in January. I’ve got some bad news about where he’s ending up next season because it’s certainly not the Premier League. I don’t think there’s a Mike Ashley owned club whose transfer policy is “anyone on a free transfer is a priority” in there anymore

2 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I assume he turned down that move to Hull with Darlow in January. I’ve got some bad news about where he’s ending up next season because it’s certainly not the Premier League. I don’t think there’s a Mike Ashley owned club whose transfer policy is “anyone on a free transfer is a priority” in there anymore

I could see him ending up back in the Premier League at the Play Off promoted Championship side.

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I could see him ending up back in the Premier League at the Play Off promoted Championship side.

I’d be surprised. He’s physically shot and, tbh, seems like a bit of a bellend. And he doesn’t have anything near the ability on the ball needed to compensate for the lack of pace. Let’s meet in the middle and send him to Rangers

• Haha 5

• wykikitoon changed the title to 2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat