2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

So this Daz Curry is forming his own supporters club… he had a ding dong with Mick Martin from TF/NUST on twitter the other day 

This is him getting right into Nicky Campbell’s face getting off the train at Kings Cross on the Friday before the cup final… 

Do you get a badge and stuff like the Dennis the Menace club? Tbh I’d like to see a few more supporters groups as, at the minute, there’s a small number that seem to have the monopoly on who the club listens to. And they don’t seem to consult their members much either 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Alex said:

Do you get a badge and stuff like the Dennis the Menace club? Tbh I’d like to see a few more supporters groups as, at the minute, there’s a small number that seem to have the monopoly on who the club listens to. And they don’t seem to consult their members much either 

No but they’ll chip in the money for a Twitter Blue Tick

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yeah but we’d be getting into peoples front for Judea v the popular front for Judea territory which will be entertaining on Twitter no doubt but ultimately fuckin futile. Think it’s about how much they can skim off the top of events they put on tbh… 

18 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yeah but we’d be getting into peoples front for Judea v the popular front for Judea territory which will be entertaining on Twitter no doubt but ultimately fuckin futile. Think it’s about how much they can skim off the top of events they put on tbh… 

Aye. You’re probably right thinking about it. But I’d still like to see some proper consultation process away from the self appointed fan spokespersons 

Just now, Alex said:

Aye. You’re probably right thinking about it. But I’d still like to see some proper consultation process away from the self appointed fan spokespersons 

Yeah the only time the trust seem to have become simultaneously actively and publicly involved is over the cup final tickets and for me they have a few questions to answer. I get that they were stuck between a rock and a hard place when they were asked at short notice but in the end we only need look to Renton’s situation to see how deeply flawed it was. They come over as sensible and serious though and Mick Martin said they were hard up for volunteers to stand as candidates for board membership and actual voters. Maybe the ticket debacle was the kick up the arse they and their members need. Otherwise it’s just another talking shop/self aggrandising excercise for the board 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

Just a thought but apart from Sheff Wed in the cup, we haven't actually been shit (I mean shit like we've been used to, shit) in any game I can recall this season, yeah we've drawn a few we should have won, but as far as I recall we bossed them but just couldn't hit a barn door.

Even our recent "blip" we weren't particularly bad in any game (overall as a team) and I don't remember being comprehensively outplayed anywhere, maybe we are just fucking good.

Am I making that up ??

• Like 3

I don't think you're far wrong really. We've played well enough to win most games on the balance of the stats, some goals we've conceded (not that we've conceded many) have been a bit silly and at other times we simple couldn't finish our dinner.

That comes down to the level of quality we can call on though, it does sort of average out. It then becomes self fulfilling as a match goes on, Wilson or Miggy or whoever miss a boat load of decent chances in the first hour then of course they're going to miss the next ones.

That's where our quick rise works against us as we don't have a lot of quality to bring into the game, if we had a bench with similar ability to our best first teamers (as the established top of the table clubs do) then we can take those players off, and then the next chance doesn't fall to Wilson or Almiron but someone freshers in legs and mind. 

The system is good and it gets the most out of what we have, but just a tiny bit more quality in first team or depth would have changed a few of those 11 draws into wins and we'd be tied on points with Man U and third on GD.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Just a thought but apart from Sheff Wed in the cup, we haven't actually been shit (I mean shit like we've been used to, shit) in any game I can recall this season, yeah we've drawn a few we should have won, but as far as I recall we bossed them but just couldn't hit a barn door.

Even our recent "blip" we weren't particularly bad in any game (overall as a team) and I don't remember being comprehensively outplayed anywhere, maybe we are just fucking good.

Am I making that up ??

we never stopped creating chances in either the draws or the defeats. The difference was we stopped taking them and I think teams sussed out how our attacks were all coming down the right via trippier/Bruno/Miggy. 

Our pressing intensity dropped but I think that’s down to Wilson no longer being able to lead the press from the front for whatever reason. We looked much more like it with Isak starting the last game. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

we never stopped creating chances in either the draws or the defeats. The difference was we stopped taking them and I think teams sussed out how our attacks were all coming down the right via trippier/Bruno/Miggy. 

Our pressing intensity dropped but I think that’s down to Wilson no longer being able to lead the press from the front for whatever reason. We looked much more like it with Isak starting the last game. 

Read a piece in the Athletic that said that when that happened, (a combination of players returning to par performances and opposition identifying the threat) Eddie and Mad Dog actually leaned into that approach even more.

The graphic below shows how Newcastle’s pass locations have changed since the turn of the year…

zones.png

Though there are no seismic changes, it is interesting to note they are pushing the right side even more. Rather than a shift away from a historic strength during a period of underwhelming form, Newcastle are choosing to double down instead.

They are also passing more — but this could be explained by game state, with Newcastle trailing in more matches and needing to get on the ball more.

Wilson’s lack of goals perhaps explains the drop-off in central areas. But Newcastle’s reliance on the right-half space is starting to hinder them: teams are wise to the danger.

On 19/03/2023 at 05:30, Gemmill said:

Screenshot_20230319_052534_Firefox.thumb.jpg.7bcb244ec5aecceaf4f0ea6ce676214d.jpg

Latest fivethirtyeight probabilities after yesterday's games.

It's quite a differential on the % likelihood to make the Champions League spots vs Liverpool and Spurs.

Betfair has Man Utd 1/10 and us 1/1 to finish top four. Liverpool and Spurs 9/5 and 23/1 respectively.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Betfair has Man Utd 1/10 and us 1/1 to finish top four. Liverpool and Spurs 9/5 and 23/1 respectively.

On 19/03/2023 at 05:30, Gemmill said:

Screenshot_20230319_052534_Firefox.thumb.jpg.7bcb244ec5aecceaf4f0ea6ce676214d.jpg

Latest fivethirtyeight probabilities after yesterday's games.

It's quite a differential on the % likelihood to make the Champions League spots vs Liverpool and Spurs.

i'm surprised about how low tottenham's odds are. do you how it's modelled - is it based on form and remaining fixtures or does it factor in things like conte potentially leaving before the end of the season etc

• wykikitoon changed the title to 2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat