2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

Wilson is a fucking superb striker. He gets injured a fair bit which I think is the only reason he's not considered to be as good as he is, but he's got such an eye for goal and some incredible technique.

I don't know how we ended up with him from the Ashley era but it was a real blessing that we did.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Wilson is a fucking superb striker. He gets injured a fair bit which I think is the only reason he's not considered to be as good as he is, but he's got such an eye for goal and some incredible technique.

I don't know how we ended up with him from the Ashley era but it was a real blessing that we did.

Agreed, if it wasn't for his injury record I think he'd be an England regular. Was speaking to a bunch of Spurs fans last night and they really rate him. 

21 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I rate him as our most important attacking player. I think we probably got him because he’s a bit injury-prone and it was clear we desperately needed a centre forward. The other factor is the bizarre way Ashley operated. A competent manager who was not a yes man and made demands of the owner got scraps to live off. Whereas a fucking hopeless yes man got (comparatively) loads to spend. It was always hard to read Ashley’s actual motivation. But I certainly wouldn’t put it past him to be partly driven by wanting Bruce to do better than his predecessor just to prove he was right and the fans were wrong. He always seemed to want to provoke some reaction even when things were going well. Ashley not having a fucking clue how to run a football club well into his second decade owning one was also a factor

Edited by Alex
  • Like 4

I know I'll get pelters for this but, every time I play Football Manager, the very first area I strengthen is defence. Sort that out and you're laughing. We've spent £122m on the defence across 2 windows. We've still got money to spend elsewhere and as I've said before, if the right player becomes available at a 'reasonable' price, I'm sure we'll use the fact we've got that wriggle room to take advantage of the opportunity.

All the talk from the club is that we're not done, so I'm confident that not only will we sign 1-2 atackers, but they'll be improvements on what we've got.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

I know I'll get pelters for this but, every time I play Football Manager, the very first area I strengthen is defence. Sort that out and you're laughing. We've spent £122m on the defence across 2 windows. We've still got money to spend elsewhere and as I've said before, if the right player becomes available at a 'reasonable' price, I'm sure we'll use the fact we've got that wriggle room to take advantage of the opportunity.

All the talk from the club is that we're not done, so I'm confident that not only will we sign 1-2 atackers, but they'll be improvements on what we've got.

All the most successful teams are built on a solid defence. Use Liverpool as an example, they were short of the measure until they splashed out on van Dijk and Alisson.

I still maintain the reason we didn't win the title in 95/96 was because of our back line. As much as the likes of Srnicek, Barton, Beresford, Peacock & Albert were revered as individuals, they were questionable as a defensive unit. Eddie has done right to solidify that and can now concentrate on those ahead of the back line.

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

All the most successful teams are built on a solid defence. Use Liverpool as an example, they were short of the measure until they splashed out on van Dijk and Alisson.

I still maintain the reason we didn't win the title in 95/96 was because of our back line. As much as the likes of Srnicek, Barton, Beresford, Peacock & Albert were revered as individuals, they were questionable as a defensive unit. Eddie has done right to solidify that and can now concentrate on those ahead of the back line.

Also a solid defence will surely mean we see more from Almiron, ASM, Bruno, Joelinton and Willock as attacking threats. 

Plus the 1-2 attacking players I'm sure we'll bring in before the window closes.

We seem less interested in an out and out forward as someone who can join midfield to attack, which suggests keeping the faith in Wilson and Wood for another season - fair enough too given that even with them not in the equation, the team still has goals in it. So we're looking to replace Willock and Almiron, presumably, if anyone.

I agree with the defensive points incidentally, as much as I'm still struggling to get used to the idea of Newcastle team that can defend. Rafa eased us into that a bit I think Howe's approach might be even better than his was (throughout the team at least).

• Like 1

Fair - I'm not so much saying they should be replaced as observing based on who we're linked with, what the thinking might be. Agree Willock was solid enough. I mean tbh I thought Almiron - frustrating as he was - was decent too. I just can't think who else they'd be looking to improve on beyond those two.

• Like 1

fwiw I think we'll be after someone that is closer in terms of style to Mane or Salah, than an out and out winger or striker. 

There were so many opportunities for cut backs from both ASM and Almiron that a better version of them to cut back, or receive at the far post, would have seen us score 4-5.

• Like 1

Now that 5 subs have become a permanent thing, we need to be strengthening so that the likes of Willock, Almiron etc. are quality players to bring off the bench. I know they're in a different stratosphere than us at the moment, but look at the Man City bench yesterday - Bernardo, Alvarez, Mahrez, Phillips  all to bring into the fold. 

This is an ethic I think Howe has started the foundations for already. Leaving Bruno on the bench the first few games, same with Botman on Sunday - it's serving to show that we're not buying prima donnas who are going to be in the side no matter what. I also think the whole winning squad photo in the dressing room is all part and parcel of developing the same ethic.

• Like 3

Talking of 5 subs, it should be made a rule that unless there is an injury, no subs after 85 minutes.  The amount of subs made on the 89 / 90th minute this weekend.  All to burn time.

• Like 2

Swings and roundabout though isn't it? There'll be times this season it'll frustrate us and other times we'll benefit from it. 

There can only be a maximum of 3 breaks in play from each team for substitutions though, right? In that event it hasn't changed. What they probably need to do is give the 4th official a means of displaying multiple subs on the board - a lot of time came down to him having to reprogram the bloody thing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rayvin said:

he’s absolutely class.  Our best striker since Demba Ba. He’d be an England regular if he wasn’t always injured 

• Like 1

Fucking hell man :lol:  The word 'cringe' is currently an internet slang term for 'uncool' or 'lame' and in this case fully captures, across all meanings, Pearson's persona.

At this rate it'll not be long before someone 'yeets' him into the sea.

• wykikitoon changed the title to 2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat