2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

We are at a point now where we'll give everyone a game.

Next few games will be interesting to see how far we've come. With Isak and Shelvey returning our options from the bench will increase as well.

Exciting times either way.

• Like 1

Man U away next, you'll see a more pumped up Man U crowd and side for a reason IMO, they'll know they're in for a game and will see us as a threat. We won't get the blasé game Brighton got there, I absolutely hope we don't get a ludicrous VAR/Ref combo but fear we probably will. Let's also hope there isn't any freak injuries as well as I think we'll have a real chance of doing them.  

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Man U away next, you'll see a more pumped up Man U crowd and side for a reason IMO, they'll know they're in for a game and will see us as a threat. We won't get the blasé game Brighton got there, I absolutely hope we don't get a ludicrous VAR/Ref combo but fear we probably will. Let's also hope there isn't any freak injuries as well as I think we'll have a real chance of doing them.  

Completely agree. We’ll win unless we’re done by another dodgy ref/VAR decision -we should have won against Liverpool, could have won against Man City. We’re better than Man U. And if they come out and try to play on the front foot, which they should do at home, it will play into our hands. The game will be won in midfield and ours is better then theirs. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

popped over to red cafe just out of mild curiosity to see their take on next week's game and found this thread.....

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/will-we-finish-above-newcastle.472186/

started in early august, the author is mostly mocked for posing a ludicrous question with nearly 2 pages of overwhelming yeses. their poor start didn't even deter their arrogance that much, but there's definitely more than a little hint of doubt creeping in now!

:lol:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Screenshot_20221009_092515.thumb.jpg.e908f366e9715e4dfda7588a0d7b3b3a.jpg

Not everyone will be able to understand or aporeciate the above graphic, but quite frankly I couldn't give a fuck. :cuppa:

Do what with the above graphic? :lol:

• Haha 2

Quick scatter plots for attack/defence in the Premier League so far. Thicker blue lines are averages.

image.png.f9c4782bda8e1b2e762017cabde90726.png

Bottom right is best. Shows we're creating a good number of good chances per game, while allowing a below average number chances against us.

image.png.5cd18e2c230388d4d5630ca322ecfbab.png

Again, bottom right is best as it shows we're scoring a good number of goals per game while not conceding a lot.

This last one shows that we're conceding roughly what you'd expect given the quality of chances surrendered. Leicester and Nottingham are conceding way more than you'd expect, so that's either bad keeping, or getting undone by wondergoals. Everton are the other stand out, they're conceding half a goal less than you'd expect given the chances they give up per game. In other words, their defence isn't as good as their GA numbers would suggest and they're heavily relying on their 'keeper to save their bacon.

image.png.8ac136ec1dc2981934550e29596ea26a.png

Given our league position that's reassuring. Basically we aren't where we are because we're lucky, it's a fair reflection of how we've played.

We've played five of the top ten also in our opening nine games. I think the matches against Man U and Spurs will give us a better indication of how well we can compete against the sides hoping to qualify for Europe.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Given our league position that's reassuring. Basically we aren't where we are because we're lucky, it's a fair reflection of how we've played.

We've played five of the top ten also in our opening nine games. I think the matches against Man U and Spurs will give us a better indication of how well we can compete against the sides hoping to qualify for Europe.

We've probably deserved more points than we have got, thanks to poor officiating. We've not yet had our full first team available either; ASM, Bruno, Callum, Isak, Joe etcetera. 

Plus we'll strengthen in January. 

WUHGONNAWINTHALEEEEG

We have the joint lowest GA in the league with 9 (equal with Man City, Brighton & Everton). I'm struggling to recall a time we've had a more disciplined backline during the 35+ years I've been supporting NUFC. Possibly under Robson when Woodgate was playing but even there, I think our current defence is a far better unit.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Craig said:

We have the joint lowest GA in the league with 9 (equal with Man City, Brighton & Everton). I'm struggling to recall a time we've had a more disciplined backline during the 35+ years I've been supporting NUFC. Possibly under Robson when Woodgate was playing but even there, I think our current defence is a far better unit.

I'd not pay too much attention to Everton's Goals Against column. They've been quite fortunate to have a shot-stopper as good as Pickford between the sticks. Everton's Post Shot xG +/- is 4.3. Putting it simply, given the shots they've faced, you'd have expected them to have conceded 4 more goals than they have. Given they've not won by more than a goal, that would have turned some wins into draws, and/or some draws into losses. 

I maintain, Old T-Rex gets injured or loses form and they're bang in trouble again.

• wykikitoon changed the title to 2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat