2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

32 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we can beat anyone at sjp and i fancy us to give anyone a game away from home too. we have played most of the big clubs other than arsenal - who is there to fear?

hopefully man city drop off and we close and make it a two-horse race with arsenal. that would be just like when Leicester won their title up against spurs because there's more pressure on them to win it than there is on us - no one expects us to be anywhere near this position. even if we drop off and finish 6-7th, it's still a brilliant season for us. 

we have momentum, unity, the best defence in the league and a fucking brilliant manager. 

we lack depth, but howe has improved players we previously thought weren't good enough. suddenly sean longstaff is an integral part of a midfield that bossed champtions league-winning jorginho and kovacic. plus we will invest in january. 

IT'S ON 

big penis GIF

Yeah well done Gloom for finally realising it’s not football manager and you don’t need a midfield of modern day Maradonnas & Zidanes to have a title challenge  😀

• Haha 3

When Longstaff got a new deal I think just about everyone thought that Howe is allowed the odd error of judgement. Maybe coupled with the odd bit of blind faith / hope that he’d seen something and Longstaff would get back to something like the highly rated youngster. But Longstaff really looks at home in the side these past few games. He looks fitter / more mobile too. 

• Like 4

I don't think the title challenge is on because we're 7pts behind and Man City and Arsenal each have a game in hand. 

I also worry that Wilson, Isak and ASM are injury risks and we'll struggle to rack up the kind of wins it'd need to really challenge. I also think Man City will kick it up a gear after the break.

• Like 2

Liverpool and Man Utd will improve as well iyam.  Nunez is a really good striker, he’s finding his feet now. They need to sign a couple of midfielders in January. Ronaldo will no longer be bitching behind the scenes at OT, if they get a bit of consistency going they’ll be up there, they look like they’re short of a striker though, they might sort that in January too. If we’re still in the top three when Europe starts again in mid Feb we might still be in with a chance…

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I don't think the title challenge is on because we're 7pts behind and Man City and Arsenal each have a game in hand. 

I also worry that Wilson, Isak and ASM are injury risks and we'll struggle to rack up the kind of wins it'd need to really challenge. I also think Man City will kick it up a gear after the break.

Isak and ASM's hardly played and we seem to be racking up wins OK, Wilson definitely critical, the other two, not so much IMO but nice depth if they are fit.

Agree title not on but top 4 a definite possibility, although I'll be happy with top 7 (was top 10 at start of season, but from where we are now 8/9/10 would have to be disappointing).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Dave, I’m disappointed. What happened to your mindless optimism?

Statistically we are one of the best teams in the league, are we not?  Defence, chances created, xg, xga - all that shite. 

FWIW, I don’t expect us to win the title several years ahead of schedule but we have to be considered to be in the race. We still have to play Arsenal home and away. There’s six of your seven points for starters.

Then you can add to the mix that we are in the top 3 at Christmas. Our owners may well be tempted to add another £100m+ of quality transfers to the mix in January.

Plus there are no expectations on out lot to finish in the top 4 let alone challenge for the title. So we will be continue to play with a freedom  enjoyed by none of our new rivals other than perhaps Man City, given how many times they have won it in recent years. 

And we have an amazing manager and  rejuvenated home crowd. I genuinely think we could go unbeaten at sjp this season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Isak and ASM's hardly played and we seem to be racking up wins OK, Wilson definitely critical, the other two, not so much IMO but nice depth if they are fit.

Agree title not on but top 4 a definite possibility, although I'll be happy with top 7 (was top 10 at start of season, but from where we are now 8/9/10 would have to be disappointing).

6th to 8th was my expectation which I don't think was unjustified giving our form since January. You had to factor in potential injuries but also factor in potential signings so we're definitely ahead but not miles ahead. I think some pundits genuinely would've had us down for around 8th to 12th. Then again, a lot of pundits blowing smoke up Howe's arse now were adamant Steve Bruce deserved a crack at the job under the new ownership and it was disrespectful to not give him that chance. :lol:

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, The Fish said:

We just beat Chelsea with none of those players and we have been improving all season. Transfer window to come.  So tish and piffle bonnie lad.  IT IS ON.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I stuck a daft fiver on us at 66/1 to win the title which is probably the stand out reason why we won't!

looking at arsenal games immediately after the break and through january they've got a far more difficult run of games than us. freakish really that they've not drawn a game this season compared to our run of 5 with the defeat at anfield in the middle of it. fine margins and that. if we can get 7 points from the next 3 matches with 3 of them coming at arsenal then its not beyond the bounds of possibility the gap between us could've all but disappeared.by the beginning of febuary.

spent a couple of hours in the gunners (inadvertent pun!) on saturday getting as many irons in the fire as I could for an arsenal ticket, desperate to get to this one, we fucking annihilated them at our place last season and think we'll beat them again in january.  :)

I think we've got a really good chance of getting CL football next season. We're not gonna challenge for the title though. We're 10 points behind Arsenal if they win their game in hand. 

Title challenges will come. But it's way too early for that now. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I think we've got a really good chance of getting CL football next season. We're not gonna challenge for the title though. We're 10 points behind Arsenal if they win their game in hand. 

Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alex said:

When Longstaff got a new deal I think just about everyone thought that Howe is allowed the odd error of judgement. Maybe coupled with the odd bit of blind faith / hope that he’d seen something and Longstaff would get back to something like the highly rated youngster. But Longstaff really looks at home in the side these past few games. He looks fitter / more mobile too. 

he’s been Howed

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Totally agree with this. If we finish top 4 we've got to see that as a massive achievement. Other teams have had their wobbles, we haven't yet and whilst it's not impossible for us to go the entire season without one, it's highly unlikely. 

Personally I think we'll finish just outside the top 4 - possibly even 6th. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

10 points is fuck all, bedwetter. gone by febuary.....  :)

Screenshot_20221114-124734_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221114-124913_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Craig said:

Totally agree with this. If we finish top 4 we've got to see that as a massive achievement. Other teams have had their wobbles, we haven't yet and whilst it's not impossible for us to go the entire season without one, it's highly unlikely. 

Personally I think we'll finish just outside the top 4 - possibly even 6th. 

we had a run of 5 draws and one defeat.

felt a bit wobbly to me.

What we're seeing here is the people that got carried away with the threat of relegation this time last year, now getting carried away with the possibility of the title this year. 

It's a basic emotional control issue. 

• Haha 5

Just now, thebrokendoll said:

we had a run of 5 draws and one defeat.

felt a bit wobbly to me.

That's been our version of a wobble this season. If you look at how long it took us to get clear of the 4 big 6 teams that we HAVE got clear of (I've charted it bitches), we were languishing behind most of them until we got past the draw daftness. 

The thing that I'm taking most heart from is this doesn't feel streaky or like unsustainable form. We're just really good now because of incredible coaching. But the squad is still thin and if we have another run where we're stuck in draw mode, top 4 comes under threat. 

Mad if we can do it (top 4) this season because of the leap forward it would give the whole "Project", but we'll see. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

What we're seeing here is the people that got carried away with the threat of relegation this time last year, now getting carried away with the possibility of the title this year. 

Yeah, there were even some convinced Everton would go down :cuppa:

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

i'm basing it on what i've seen on the pitch. we looked absolutely shite last season until the narrow away win against leeds, which was when we turned the corner. it took a while for the work howe did on the pitch to take hold. until mid feb we looked odds on for the drop. 

this season, i have seen no reason to think we can't give anybody a game. we've only lost once and even then it was daylight robbery against liverpool and a dodgy ref/VAR.

our only dodgy game so far this season really was brighton away where we were lucky to escape with a point - plus the frustrating draws against bournemouth and palace at home, but we've since shown we can break down teams that turn up to sjp playing for a draw. 

it's going to take a while to sink in but we are absolutely fucking mint.

i think we'll definitely get top four on what i've seen this season and i expect us to remain close to or in the top three unless we see an implosion every bit as remarkable as our turnaround in the final third of last season

aka - in the motherfucking title race. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

• wykikitoon changed the title to 2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat