2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I bet they were dead sexy and much closer to being right than the relegation doomsayers, WEREN'T THEY? 

gemmill's epitaph:

close to being right

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I don't even know how the man who said we were down after the 3-3 with Brentford EVEN DARES. 

i'm absolutely delighted i wasn't close to being right 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Dave, I’m disappointed. What happened to your mindless optimism?

Statistically we are one of the best teams in the league, are we not?  Defence, chances created, xg, xga - all that shite. 

FWIW, I don’t expect us to win the title several years ahead of schedule but we have to be considered to be in the race. We still have to play Arsenal home and away. There’s six of your seven points for starters.

Then you can add to the mix that we are in the top 3 at Christmas. Our owners may well be tempted to add another £100m+ of quality transfers to the mix in January.

Plus there are no expectations on out lot to finish in the top 4 let alone challenge for the title. So we will be continue to play with a freedom  enjoyed by none of our new rivals other than perhaps Man City, given how many times they have won it in recent years. 

And we have an amazing manager and  rejuvenated home crowd. I genuinely think we could go unbeaten at sjp this season. 

Statistically we're playing like a top 4 side. So we could end up there. Playing like a title challenger is another matter though. 

image.png.f3cead6b889c3ad60d86ecc475e97f67.png

This shows we're creating a good number of chances, while not conceding many. We're doing very, very well, but we're some ways off Man City.

image.png.1db5fc246a78299f6298a7e60beb14fd.png

In simpler measures, we're scoring a good number, and conceding fuck all. 

image.thumb.png.85a88fd7749c628ab92ee7881bf773ea.png

This show's we're creating more good chances than we're putting away. This is encouraging, but again, we're some ways behind Arsenal and Man City.

image.thumb.png.3c64ac35d50948b7f0e8264fbe2f46c1.png

Finally, this shows we're conceding fewer goals than you'd expect from the chances we give up. Not to the same degree as Everton mind you, but still more so than Man City and Arsenal

Edited by The Fish
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, trophyshy said:

We just beat Chelsea with none of those players and we have been improving all season. Transfer window to come.  So tish and piffle bonnie lad.  IT IS ON.

What are we saying here, the Title is on?

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

20th November is the aniversary of that particular yellow kegs moment. I wonder if they'll do something to mark it at the World Cup opening ceremony. 

i thought it was the norwich game when i predicted we'd go down - failing to dispatch them at home felt like a season-defining moment. 

either way, i can't tell you how glad i am to admit i was wrong because if i was right i wouldn't be sporting the sort of massive stonk on today that a chinese mouse can only dream of 

• Haha 1

I think qualification for European football is definitely on. Top 4 would be a massive achievement. I don't see a title challenge being realistic - we're not at the level to sustain that yet. 

The flip-flopping from some of last season's bedwetters is hilarious btw. :lol:

what is the point in trudging through the years of shite if you can't enjoy being in a title race when it happens?

it's no fluke that we're in 3rd btw. we're 5th in the table for the entire calendar year, just 7 points off the top there too, and that includes jan/feb when we were still gash.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

what is the point in trudging through the years of shite if you can't enjoy being in a title race when it happens?

it's no fluke that we're in 3rd btw. we're 5th in the table for the entire calendar year, just 7 points off the top there too, and that includes jan/feb when we were still gash.

I agree with the context of what you're saying. The concern, and the reason I don't think a title challenge falls short in terms of realism is the lack of depth to our squad compared to others - particularly given how hard we press. 

We have a brilliant first choice XI but it wouldn't take too many injuries for the quality to be dented. Building the depth of the squad will take time and whilst we need to make hay whilst the sun shines, we need to make sure we don't get too carried away. Liverpool and Man United in particular are coming back stronger these past few weeks.

Some bollocks written today while I’ve been getting dragged out Xmas shopping :lol:

Of course we are in the title race. We would probably already be top had it not been for a few dodgy refereeing / Var decisions.

The form table for this year clearly shows this is no flash in the pan. We are getting better with each game and even tossing teams aside when we play poorly.

And all of this without ASM and Isak. And then we have a few sprinkles of new players in January.

There is no team in the league who are looking forward to playing us and none that we can’t beat on our day.

City are still favourites, but I think Arsenal will fade come the winter months and the toll of extra games and expectation.

I’ll be happy wherever we finish now because WE ARE BACK, but I’m sure as hell going to enjoy the dream of being in a title race until we’re not 

Be Quiet Newcastle United GIF by Newcastle United Football Club

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I’m sure as hell going to enjoy the dream of being in a title race until we’re not 

Conversely you were soaking your bedsheets at the thought of us being relegated until it was mathematically impossible. 

Can you imagine CT ©April 2022 having a conversation with CT ©November 2022? It'd be a full on bitch-fest :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Craig said:

I agree with the context of what you're saying. The concern, and the reason I don't think a title challenge falls short in terms of realism is the lack of depth to our squad compared to others - particularly given how hard we press. 

We have a brilliant first choice XI but it wouldn't take too many injuries for the quality to be dented. Building the depth of the squad will take time and whilst we need to make hay whilst the sun shines, we need to make sure we don't get too carried away. Liverpool and Man United in particular are coming back stronger these past few weeks.

I think the squad is stronger than most of us  ever thought it was though - mainly because Howe has found a way to unlock the potential in players we all thought weren’t good enough: Joelinton, Almiron, Longstaff, Schar, Murphy and Krafth have all shown they can execute his high press well. Even Wood looked more up for it than usual against Chelsea. 

Do ASM or Isak walk back into the side? I’m not so sure now.

Bruno would be the one player almost irreplaceable in our current squad but we add Maddison or someone of similar quality in January to help. I’d worry if Wilson was out for a long period too. 

I know I’m getting carried away. I don’t seriously think we will win the title. Man City remain favourites because they have the best squad and they’ve been there and done it. But we’ve got a real opportunity this season for all the reasons already discussed in this thread. We shouldn’t fear anyone in this league if the 15 games so far are anything to go by.

We are in title race as things stand. Drink it in while it lasts. We’re mint 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Some bollocks written today while I’ve been getting dragged out Xmas shopping :lol:

Of course we are in the title race. We would probably already be top had it not been for a few dodgy refereeing / Var decisions.

The form table for this year clearly shows this is no flash in the pan. We are getting better with each game and even tossing teams aside when we play poorly.

And all of this without ASM and Isak. And then we have a few sprinkles of new players in January.

There is no team in the league who are looking forward to playing us and none that we can’t beat on our day.

City are still favourites, but I think Arsenal will fade come the winter months and the toll of extra games and expectation.

I’ll be happy wherever we finish now because WE ARE BACK, but I’m sure as hell going to enjoy the dream of being in a title race until we’re not 

Like I said. A basic emotional control issue. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

I just don't know what Eddie does with Maxi. The players who started against Chelsea have  arguably  been in the form of their lives, not one of them droppable for someone just to walk back in. When we are protecting a slender lead, you don't really want him subbed on because he doesn't protect his full back like some of the other options. I still hope at this moment that he's in our long term plans. 

• wykikitoon changed the title to 2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat