2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think the squad is stronger than most of us  ever thought it was though - mainly because Howe has found a way to unlock the potential in players we all thought weren’t good enough: Joelinton, Almiron, Longstaff, Schar, Murphy and Krafth have all shown they can execute his high press well. Even Wood looked more up for it than usual against Chelsea. 

Do ASM or Isak walk back into the side? I’m not so sure now.

Bruno would be the one player almost irreplaceable in our current squad but we add Maddison or someone of similar quality in January to help. I’d worry if Wilson was out for a long period too. 

I know I’m getting carried away. I don’t seriously think we will win the title. Man City remain favourites because they have the best squad and they’ve been there and done it. But we’ve got a real opportunity this season for all the reasons already discussed in this thread. We shouldn’t fear anyone in this league if the 15 games so far are anything to go by.

We are in title race as things stand. Drink it in while it lasts. We’re mint 

Not sure about ASM, as i think his lack of inclusion when Willock came off was telling, but Isak gets in the team over Wood every time.

2 hours ago, Chaser said:

I just don't know what Eddie does with Maxi. The players who started against Chelsea have  arguably  been in the form of their lives, not one of them droppable for someone just to walk back in. When we are protecting a slender lead, you don't really want him subbed on because he doesn't protect his full back like some of the other options. I still hope at this moment that he's in our long term plans. 

he can be in our long term plans if he’s willing to press like the rest of them. It’ll take graft and discipline he hasn’t shown to date.  

3 hours ago, Chaser said:

I just don't know what Eddie does with Maxi. The players who started against Chelsea have  arguably  been in the form of their lives, not one of them droppable for someone just to walk back in. When we are protecting a slender lead, you don't really want him subbed on because he doesn't protect his full back like some of the other options. I still hope at this moment that he's in our long term plans. 

Me neither, but he is a player that can produce magic that no others can on his day. Even the highlights I saw of the Crystal Palace game, he put two superb, inch perfect crosses in that should have been buried.

See what happens after Xmas and whether Eddie can work his magic with him. If not, get rid in the summer and re-invest.

At the end of the day, this time next year we are probably going to have another 4 / 6 new first teamers and we are going to have to get used to players we like, dropping down the pecking order and out of the door.  It takes a bit of getting used to :lol: 

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

he can be in our long term plans if he’s willing to press like the rest of them. It’ll take graft and discipline he hasn’t shown to date.  

Although ironically it was his graft which fucked his hamstring 🙂 

• Like 1

ASM started the season really well tbf to him.  His work rate and tracking back had improved vastly.  However, I just think his arm throwing and rolling on the floor when he loses the ball will just push Howe in getting a replacement for him.

• Like 1

Just now, wykikitoon said:

ASM started the season really well tbf to him.  His work rate and tracking back had improved vastly.  However, I just think his arm throwing and rolling on the floor when he loses the ball will just push Howe in getting a replacement for him.

Seems to have removed that from Miggy's game so there's hope. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

He does it to distract from the fact he's not bothering his arse to try get it back and aye he'll either cut it out or he'll be off. 

Just now, Toonpack said:

I eagerly await our "blade of grass (blade #137,853) just to the left of the penalty spot at the Gallowgate end (as you look at it from the centre circle) partner"

Probably best not to mention any type of blade 🙂 

• Haha 3

• wykikitoon changed the title to 2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat