2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

5 hours ago, Isegrim said:

Just started this. It'll be good cos it's 0ut together using recorded interviews when Caulkin was working with him on his final book. Theyve not been heard before. 

It's lovely to hear his voice again. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Just started this. It'll be good cos it's 0ut together using recorded interviews when Caulkin was working with him on his final book. Theyve not been heard before. 

It's lovely to hear his voice again. 

Pressed play, his is the first voice you hear. Immediately paused it because I'm nowhere close to the right mental state to listen to it without being utterly destroyed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Pressed play, his is the first voice you hear. Immediately paused it because I'm nowhere close to the right mental state to listen to it without being utterly destroyed.

It is genuinely emotional hearing his voice again. And the energy is still fizzing off the bloke. He must have been quite ill when this was being recorded and he still sounds exactly like the bloke you remembere. 

When you hear him talking about crawling through mines and then think of the career he went on to have, it's crazy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Hope you're alright btw.👍

Yeah, I'll be grand. Doing the right things, dropping the wrong things, talking to the right people, ignoring the wrong'uns. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

"Sunderland or Middlesbrough or anyone else never entered my life. Never entered my life."

That's gonna go down well on Weirdside. :lol:

That is perfect :lol: 

Probably a very difficult thing to do. But hopefully Fish can stand up and be counted.

We are struggling to break teams down who sit back and let us go at them. But what's its like with and without Bruno in? I.e are we just pointing out that Bruno is the only man? Or are we still struggling in a similar with Bruno? 

We are no doubt a weaker team without him. The dude is class. But we still have willock, ciggy and Joe who struggle in the final third. 

The issue with Bruno is he's our best DM and gives our CBs an out ball from defence. He's also our best AM and can spot passes no one else can. Take him out of the team and it fucks is going both directions.

We need someone else as good as him in either position so Willock/Ciggy become squad players, not starters.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The issue with Bruno is he's our best DM and gives our CBs an out ball from defence. He's also our best AM and can spot passes no one else can. Take him out of the team and it fucks is going both directions.

We need someone else as good as him in either position so Willock/Ciggy become squad players, not starters.

Absolutely. Teams have worked a way to play against us. I think we shall see us play different against the bin dippers. They'll be more open hopefully 

11 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Hate to say it but Shelvey did a very good job at offering that out ball for the cbs last season and allowed Bruno to play further forwards where he was so influential. the great thing about Bruno is he is absolutely quality at “number 6” and at “number 8”.  We could do with adding neves and Maddison and Bruno can play with or cover them both 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Hate to say it but Shelvey did a very good job at offering that out ball for the cbs last season and allowed Bruno to play corner forwards where he was so influential. the great thing about Bruno is he is absolutely quality at “number 6” and at “number 8”.  We could do with adding neves and Maddison and Bruno can play with or cover them both 

I think if Shelvey didn't have this contract extension thing he would have stayed until the end of the season. It's a shame about him leaving but totally get the circumstances. 

Neves and Maddison would be a great window IMO. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Probably a very difficult thing to do. But hopefully Fish can stand up and be counted.

We are struggling to break teams down who sit back and let us go at them. But what's its like with and without Bruno in? I.e are we just pointing out that Bruno is the only man? Or are we still struggling in a similar with Bruno? 

We are no doubt a weaker team without him. The dude is class. But we still have willock, ciggy and Joe who struggle in the final third. 

Away from reliable data and using the eye test, I'd say we struggle to break through a low block deep line with and without Bruno, but the problem is exacerbated in his absence. 

It's tricky because while there are certain teams who play a specific style regardless of opposition there are plenty who'd change their style depending on their opponents. And when it's pretty obvious that we struggle to breakdown an entrenched defence, that's true of every team, really. Even Arsenal and Man City have found it difficult to unpick a stubborn defence, and they have an array of world class talents, where we do not.

It's not as easy as pulling the press back a bit, teams wouldn't necessarily venture out and the efficacy of our press would be lessened as the opponents would have more space to play around the press with balls across their back line. When we press high we're trying to force them into trying long balls or passing/dribbling through the press. Personally I think we need to be quicker on the ball when we win it back. Get the ball to Isak or ASM while they're still resetting into their defensive position. For that you need a technician, someone with vision and alacrity of thought. Bruno, Shelvey, Maddison have those attributes. Longstaff, Joelinton and WIllock do not. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Away from reliable data and using the eye test, I'd say we struggle to break through a low block deep line with and without Bruno, but the problem is exacerbated in his absence. 

let it go GIF

• Haha 3

• wykikitoon changed the title to 2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat