2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

2 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

When I lived in London at one point I went to 19 London games without seeing a win

Even Keegan never really threw off the inability to win in London

So it was your fault then? 
Actually, if you at KK’s record in the PL as manager in his first spell here, I think our away record in general wasn’t great. At least for a side challenging for the title it wasn’t 

26 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Let's put it this way, I'm never starting a match day thread

I have been called  Jonah before

I think we’d have won the league cup if I hadn’t watched it live 

• Haha 2

For those worrying about facing Nee Baals's Beige Brigade, I've looked at their last 7 games (where they've seemingly become world beaters) and our last 7 games. 

I've considered their xP (it's a thing, deal with it) compared to their actual points, and ours.  And I've applied a colour scale so you can see at a glance how close the performances have actually been to the results. Ignore the figures in the "Diff" column that are greyed out - I've not included negative figures (where the club has got fewer xP than actual points) to avoid the negatives messing with the colour scale. 

First thing to point out is that Villa are running 6.5 points ahead of expectation over the last 7 games.  Which is a canny bit and much higher than our 2.03, which basically all came from us mugging Brentford yesterday. 

Villa did the same against Chelsea - managing an xP of only 0.39 but running out 2-0 winners. Which btw, is the only time they played a "big" team in this recent run.  Compare that with us picking up 2.91 xP against Man United - basically a MURDER of a team better than any they've played recently.

In fact, all of our wins against everyone bar Brentford have been very convincing, as evidenced by the difference between xP and actual being really less than half a point for all of them.  

Anyway, hopefully you can see there's a lot more red on Villa's side than on ours.  In other words, Villa's results have been a lot less convincing than ours when you look behind the scoreline, and a few of them could quite easily have gone the other way - i.e. their form isn't as good as it looks.  Ours is.  Which is why they're getting fucking LACED next Saturday.  Get ready for ANOTHER relaxing win. 

image.thumb.png.0856561f05d6e2108c95d61c14cd4f28.png

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

As long as Gabby Agbonlahor predicts a Villa win we’ll be good.

I herd a stat the other day, he is Villa's all time leading PL scorer.  Watkins is now in their top 10.  Fuck e.  They've got SHITE

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

For those worrying about facing Nee Baals's Beige Brigade, I've looked at their last 7 games (where they've seemingly become world beaters) and our last 7 games. 

I've considered their xP (it's a thing, deal with it) compared to their actual points, and ours.  And I've applied a colour scale so you can see at a glance how close the performances have actually been to the results. Ignore the figures in the "Diff" column that are greyed out - I've not included negative figures (where the club has got fewer xP than actual points) to avoid the negatives messing with the colour scale. 

First thing to point out is that Villa are running 6.5 points ahead of expectation over the last 7 games.  Which is a canny bit and much higher than our 2.03, which basically all came from us mugging Brentford yesterday. 

Villa did the same against Chelsea - managing an xP of only 0.39 but running out 2-0 winners. Which btw, is the only time they played a "big" team in this recent run.  Compare that with us picking up 2.91 xP against Man United - basically a MURDER of a team better than any they've played recently.

In fact, all of our wins against everyone bar Brentford have been very convincing, as evidenced by the difference between xP and actual being really less than half a point for all of them.  

Anyway, hopefully you can see there's a lot more red on Villa's side than on ours.  In other words, Villa's results have been a lot less convincing than ours when you look behind the scoreline, and a few of them could quite easily have gone the other way - i.e. their form isn't as good as it looks.  Ours is.  Which is why they're getting fucking LACED next Saturday.  Get ready for ANOTHER relaxing win. 

So against Everton, they were expecting 1.79 points out of 3?

wtf? 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Out Fishing The Fish is a bizarre obsession for Easter Sunday tbh :cuppa:

Villa won’t be looking forward to playing us because we’re fuckin ace :) 

Nobody can outFish the Fish

7 hours ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

So against Everton, they were expecting 1.79 points out of 3?

wtf? 

Given the value of the chances they made Vs chances they conceded, and simulating the game 10,000 times, you'd expect them to get on average 1.79pts. 

So there'll be a large number of those simulated games with those chances that went Everton's way, some that ended even, and some that did end up with Villa winning.

Basic stuff.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

When I lived in London at one point I went to 19 London games without seeing a win

Futurama Writing GIF by HULU

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

"..we scored a winner and I kicked the corner flag right into the nuts of one of our supporters. Normally I only injure our players when celebrating, that was a new high for me"

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, The Fish said:

Given the value of the chances they made Vs chances they conceded, and simulating the game 10,000 times, you'd expect them to get on average 1.79pts. 

So there'll be a large number of those simulated games with those chances that went Everton's way, some that ended even, and some that did end up with Villa winning.

Basic stuff.  

still is useless though. You only get 0, 1 or 3 points 

19 hours ago, Gemmill said:

They've hit a purple against teams in 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 17th, 18th, 19th.

7 of their last 8 games are against top 10 sides. I fully expect them to hit the skids

• Like 2

Aye, there's no doubt Emery has improved them but fucking hell he was taking over from Steven Gerrard, of course he's improved them.

But what they're doing at the minute isn't sustainable for them against even the poor sides they've been doing it against, never mind the better sides they've got left to play.

On the xG against Brentford, it's probably worth considering that their xG was skewed by having two penalties (one that shouldn't have been given) granting them an enormous amount of xG. I think a penalty is worth 0.8xG. And we had a goal scored from 6-yards out chalked off for "reasons" which would've chalked off a fair bit of our xG. Obviously there are variables in every match so I'm not trying to say too much can be drawn, but it's maybe worth mentioning to note that in this instance the xG didn't give as accurate a representation of the balance of play in in the match as it would on average. In short, we didn't get outplayed and mug them as much as the xG may suggest.

To the eye perhaps you could say that: They were better first half. We were better second half. So maybe a draw would've been fair. But then again it should've been 3-0 if VAR hadn't tried their best to fuck us. So fuck them. :lol:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, toonotl said:

On the xG against Brentford, it's probably worth considering that their xG was skewed by having two penalties (one that shouldn't have been given) granting them an enormous amount of xG. I think a penalty is worth 0.8xG. And we had a goal scored from 6-yards out chalked off for "reasons" which would've chalked off a fair bit of our xG. Obviously there are variables in every match so I'm not trying to say too much can be drawn, but it's maybe worth mentioning to note that in this instance the xG didn't give as accurate a representation of the balance of play in in the match as it would on average. In short, we didn't get outplayed and mug them as much as the xG may suggest.

To the eye perhaps you could say that: They were better first half. We were better second half. So maybe a draw would've been fair. But then again it should've been 3-0 if VAR hadn't tried their best to fuck us. So fuck them. :lol:

Their non-penalty xG was 1.0, ours was 1.3.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

still is useless though. You only get 0, 1 or 3 points 

This isn't challenging that, this is saying that given the chances they made and conceded, if you were to simulate the game 10,000 times they would average out with fewer than 3pts.

The implication being that they've been lucky to have got as many points as they have, given the performances in attack and defence.

• wykikitoon changed the title to 2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat