The women's Euro's 2022

Tom

Hard fought 1-0 win over Austria for England last night, thought some of you lads might want to get into it before we win it.

Got myself tickets to Netherlands vs Sweden in Sheffield, should be a decent look out. Caught the England vs Netherlands friendly at Elland Road and it was good crack.

Wish I could get into this more but I think I just like football because I often hate whoever we’re playing and it gives me great pleasure in beating them. You just don’t have that completely pointless, toxic tribalism in the womens game and fair play to them but it doesn’t speak to the anger inside of me.

Hope we win it like. Will be good for the young ladies out there and such to see their favourite players actually be successful compared to the cavalcade of disappointment I had as a kid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/07/2022 at 20:27, Tom said:

Got myself tickets to Netherlands vs Sweden in Sheffield, should be a decent look out. Caught the England vs Netherlands friendly at Elland Road and it was good crack.

Futurama Writing GIF by HULU

• Haha 5

Jokes aside, I’ve been impressed with the lasses football. Quality of play is massively improved. There is still a quite high turnover of possession and the keepers still look dodgy but it’s been a good watch 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Jokes aside, I’ve been impressed with the lasses football. Quality of play is massively improved. There is still a quite high turnover of possession and the keepers still look dodgy but it’s been a good watch 

Agree. On the goals front they probably don't mind having more goals scored as a result of the GKs generally being shorter and less adept at positioning themselves.

53 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

Pretty good save from the English keeper though. 

BBC early news last night.......showing one of the England keepers in training session trying to make a very basic save.....it was like watching a schoolboy forced to go in goal and then stinging his fingers trying to save a shot...she half saved it but pulled her hand away sharpish😆

If when they find decent goalkeepers who aren't afraid to get stuck in the game might improve plus if the BBC can install a sound device that brings the crowd noise/chants/screams/singing down a bit by adding a baritone or two

Edited by Rosco

3 hours ago, OTF said:

Agree. On the goals front they probably don't mind having more goals scored as a result of the GKs generally being shorter and less adept at positioning themselves.

Sounds like Jordon Pickford

From the highlights I thought she made a few crucial saves.

As for the noise, I suppose it's more likely that girls and young kids generally would be attending games, but clearly I don't watch as many games as you.

Frankly if it encourages anyone to move from the couch to taking exercise it'll have done its job.

26 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

From the highlights I thought she made a few crucial saves.

As for the noise, I suppose it's more likely that girls and young kids generally would be attending games, but clearly I don't watch as many games as you.

Frankly if it encourages anyone to move from the couch to taking exercise it'll have done its job.

I've nothing against the women playing football it just the BBC ramming it down our throats....and as you say if it gets the fat kids out and running around its a good thing

I watched the England Spain match last week and I was impressed at how much improvement there has been in the few years since I last watched a womans match.  The keepers had even improved and from what I've seen of her the England keeper looks very competent.  The lack of height is always going to be an issue and probably even more so with the standard of outfield players improving.  I wonder whether there may come a time when smaller goals may be necessary to stop games becoming too high scoring.

I agree the crowd puts me off a bit too.  It's like a league cup game when you're surrounded by qpr's who are mainly kids who don't have a clue what they are shouting in singing about.  In the womens case though I don't think they will grow up to being the regular match goers as happens with mens games.  And I can actually see that being preferable to a lot of the people attending as Tom says.  I went to watch a Newcastle Eagles game a few months back that was similar.  It's a much more of family experience but it just doesn't fit with football for me.

44 minutes ago, KetteringMag said:

The standard has improved but still poor , however one of the biggest things that puts me off watching is that God awful excitable commentator BBC have , she just doesn't have the voice for it.

I think someone has told told her.........model your voice on Barry Davies/John Motson/Johnathan Pearce 

I'm sure she has taken lesson from this 1.28 in

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rosco said:

I think someone has told told her.........model your voice on Barry Davies/John Motson/Johnathan Pearce 

I'm sure she has taken lesson from this 1.28 in

I love these highlights. 👍

6 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I love these highlights. 👍

2.06 & 3.57 Bolton corners.....every player watching the ball no tugging of shirts/pushing

Edited by Rosco

7 minutes ago, Rosco said:

2.06 & 3.57 Bolton corners.....every player watching the ball no tugging of shirts/pushing

Might have helped if we'd been watching their players instead

• Haha 3