The women's Euro's 2022

Tom

Been really impressed with the standard, less tribal, more inclusive, less diving and moaning. 

Goalkeeping is shite, but I think they are sold a pup playing in full size goals. Honestly think it would get better with smaller pitches too, but generally really enjoyed it.

• Like 3

I thought the Sweden keeper was a bit unlucky for the third goal. Had a mare for the 4th but that didn’t exactly impact the final result 

• Like 1

I wanted to get into this but I've found that I'm oddly in the same boat as Wykiki. England's mens team has just killed international football for me over 25 years. I just can't make myself care.

I was more enthused watching the highlights of the 4th tier NUFC women's team.

I agree the standard looks decent tbh, they must be approaching lower league level in some senses now.

• Like 1

I think a lot of people compare it to mens football which is an unfair comparison. You wouldn’t expect a woman to beat Usain Bolt in a race for example.

Enjoy it for what it is and it’s good fun imo

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

I thought the Sweden keeper was a bit unlucky for the third goal. Had a mare for the 4th but that didn’t exactly impact the final result 

Agree. The nutmeg could have happened to anyone

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, strawb said:

I think a lot of people compare it to mens football which is an unfair comparison. You wouldn’t expect a woman to beat Usain Bolt in a race for example.

Aye, that’s how I see it. I wouldn’t compare men’s and women’s cricket directly but enjoy both and you can see (a bit like with the women’s football) how the standard has progressed loads in recent times with the players becoming full-time professionals at the highest level. 

• Like 3

The BBC will be going into overdrive rolling out 1966/three lions/italia 90/euro 96 etc etc........its cringeworthy hearing the "England ladies number 9 is only a few goals short of overtaking Wayne Rooney as all time England scorer ......first major trophy win since 1966 etc etc.......No its not its women's football and Wayne Rooney and the boys of 66 have nothing to be worried about. Good luck to them in the final but for fucks sake stop comparing them to the men's team and for gods sake turn the screeching screams down

11 hours ago, strawb said:

I totally agree with you regarding the goals and the size of the pitch.  But unfortunately you will get comparisons to the men in that regards.

In cycling the men race well over the distance the women do and there's always talk of why they don't increase the women's to the men's.  Its because they simply don't have the strength in depth in the field as the men.  If they did it would make really shit racing.  Play to the strength of the women and it will make it massive.

7 hours ago, Rosco said:

The BBC will be going into overdrive rolling out 1966/three lions/italia 90/euro 96 etc etc........its cringeworthy hearing the "England ladies number 9 is only a few goals short of overtaking Wayne Rooney as all time England scorer ......first major trophy win since 1966 etc etc.......No its not its women's football and Wayne Rooney and the boys of 66 have nothing to be worried about. Good luck to them in the final but for fucks sake stop comparing them to the men's team and for gods sake turn the screeching screams down

The Tour de France women's is on at the moment.  One of the GOAT's in Marianne Vos won a stage the other day.  She is an absolute legend.  She's raced and been world champion in pretty much every discipline in cycling.  She is outstanding.  She races for the same team of the men's TDF winner.  The stage she won was her 241st ROAD race win.  So that doesn't include Mountain Bike and Cross bike and track she has also won.  There was comparison to the men's team where a combination of the men's team is not even close to what she has won.  But this went viral and it's not a fair comparison.  You're comparing apples and oranges.  But unfortunately they will always compare.  Unless you're Trans :cuppa:

9 hours ago, Rosco said:

Shit broke loose on BBC Woman's Hour as a listener suggested they should be called the Lions rather than the Lionesses. :doh:

You're getting to the definitive issue here - that women's football continues to be compared to men's - and it's multiple aspects of it - the size of the goals, the goalkeeping, the commentators, even the crowd noise. The only thing the English women's football team should be compared with is their contemporaries in the same competition, and the standard of performance in previous tournaments. Those are the baselines against which it should be measured. 

England have done unbelievably well and the nation should be rightly proud of their achievements - as they should with any sporting team which bears the name 'England'. I'll certainly be watching it on Sunday. :smile:

• Like 1

Technically they are good but to compare to non-leagues men football would be a stretch. They are all around 5'5 to 5'9 so psychically would find that level hard.

That Russo up front looks a tank but is still only 5'9

Well goalkeeping is clearly a problem so I think we have the answer......we might even get a few 0-0 draws

1_-_12x4_fold_cover_3.jpg

34260683.webp

Edited by Rosco

12 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

Technically they are good but to compare to non-leagues men football would be a stretch. They are all around 5'5 to 5'9 so psychically would find that level hard.

That Russo up front looks a tank but is still only 5'9

It’s totally bollocks to make any comparisons. The women’s game has evolved but about 30 years ago we had a first division women’s team (Battenberg, where the name Mountbatten comes from) close to where I grew up. They used to play local youth sides in friendlies because they where the best they could get to play competitive matches where they didn’t get totally humiliated. They did lose most times though.

They cancelled the match when there was one arranged when I was 16 or 17. They said because of the rain although we were fine with them having to play in wet shirts.

29 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Ellen White making Chris Wood look like, well, Chris Wood.

She is the female Chris Wood - touch, pace, finishing - the lot  

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

She is the female Chris Wood - touch, pace, finishing - the lot  

She's shite. You can tell she started playing in the age when they were all dogshit. How come that Russo lass isn't starting? 

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

She's shite. You can tell she started playing in the age when they were all dogshit. How come that Russo lass isn't starting? 

she’s the one who always looks lively  coming off the bench. Must be scratching her head watching this donkey 

Edited by Dr Gloom