Other Games 22/23

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

The catholic / protestant discussion - be it for either the Glasgow or Edinburgh teams is something that should be avoided in these environments IYAM. No-one will ever agree and it'll just degenerate into mudslinging and vitriol for post after post.

It was never a catholic/proddy thing to fucking start with man! Until someone jumped to a wrong conclusion.

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

It was never a catholic/proddy thing to fucking start with man! Until someone jumped to a wrong conclusion.

Yes, I know. 

• Like 1

Over a pint or two my mate stated, as a fact, that not only would Newcastle finish above them this season, he fully expects a bottom half finish either this season or next. Said that the honest to god best thing would have been to overhaul the playing staff almost entirely, and give Ten Haag a blank chequebook, and three seasons to turn things round. As it stands he think they'll give him a season and throw another 'name' at the side in the hopes that'll fix a very rotten club.

Watched a replay of ManU getting rolled over just before. Their midfield is powerfully mediocre.

Rashford is terrible. Sancho underwhelming.

And starting Erikson as a false 9 when he's the only midfielder who looked capable of creating anything. A Dutch masterstroke.

Ronaldo is still their best by a street on a week's preseason and a desire to be basically anywhere else.

They are complete shit and I love it. Watching their games knowing they lost is pure entertainment. 

• Like 1

Saw an interesting thread on twitter (can’t find it again 🙄) talking about how they can’t shift their deadwood as they’re on ridiculous money (same as our problem but with eye watering amounts). As your mate said, it’s going to take a lot of time.

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

It's amazing how shit they look and if / when Ronaldo goes it will be even better.  Maguire is absolutely dreadful.

He’s on £250k a week evidently 😱

And you get the feeling that the top brass will 100% never sanction several seasons of midtable obscurity snd a rebuild. They'd basically need to fluke their way out of it or really go after things spending wise which could all end tits up completely. It's certainly a fun bit of comedic relief for the rest of the league to watch their stage crafted shitshow unfold year on year with each new manager annointed "the solution" before reality bites. 

3 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Saw an interesting thread on twitter (can’t find it again 🙄) talking about how they can’t shift their deadwood as they’re on ridiculous money (same as our problem but with eye watering amounts). As your mate said, it’s going to take a lot of time.

Seems to be a lot of that going around. Leicester, Wolves, Everton.

Just now, toonotl said:

And you get the feeling that the top brass will 100% never sanction several seasons of midtable obscurity snd a rebuild. They'd basically need to fluke their way out of it or really go after things spending wise which could all end tits up completely. It's certainly a fun bit of comedic relief for the rest of the league to watch their stage crafted shitshow unfold year on year with each new manager annointed "the solution" before reality bites. 

Daft thing is, if they'd committed to an overhaul way back when Ferguson first left, they'd likely not be in this mess now, even if they had gone 3-4 seasons outside the title hunt. Instead they've limped on, lurching from one manager to another with all the additional costs that approach brings.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Daft thing is, if they'd committed to an overhaul way back when Ferguson first left, they'd likely not be in this mess now, even if they had gone 3-4 seasons outside the title hunt. Instead they've limped on, lurching from one manager to another with all the additional costs that approach brings.

There’s also the Glazer’s dimension, they can continue to milk it even when they are shite.

Our current approach is spot on IMO (however frustrating it can feel).

• Like 4

Their recruitment has been embarrassing. They've known from the end of last season that they need two new midfielders and a No.9 to rotate with Ronaldo but instead they've ended up starting Fred and McTominay and no recognised No.9.

Now they have Ronaldo desperate to get out and have spent the entire summer chasing De Jong even though he has shown no desire to go there. This isn't a one off, it's been going on for years and the owners haven't sorted it. They're not going to qualify for the CL this year and that's going to even further impact their sponsorship deals and financial position. They were in their element watching it happen to Liverpool in the 90's and I wouldn't be surprised if they had to wait just as long for another title.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

There’s also the Glazer’s dimension, they can continue to milk it even when they are shite.

Our current approach is spot on IMO (however frustrating it can feel).

Totally agree and yes it can appear frustrating but in the long run it's going to be worth it. 

Consider Saturday when we were absolutely dominant and whilst I appreciate Forest were woeful, it wasn't just that. Then consider that they only real change between the final game of last season and Saturday was Pope replacing Dubravka. 

And whilst we've significantly improved our defensive line since Howe took charge, there's only Bruno out of the front 6 players who didn't play for us under Steve Bruce. 

Remarkable what fitness and decent coaching can bring. Imagine what it'll be like when we do start to strengthen the midfield and attack.

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Their recruitment has been embarrassing. They've known from the end of last season that they need two new midfielders and a No.9 to rotate with Ronaldo but instead they've ended up starting Fred and McTominay and no recognised No.9.

Now they have Ronaldo desperate to get out and have spent the entire summer chasing De Jong even though he has shown no desire to go there. This isn't a one off, it's been going on for years and the owners haven't sorted it. They're not going to qualify for the CL this year and that's going to even further impact their sponsorship deals and financial position. They were in their element watching it happen to Liverpool in the 90's and I wouldn't be surprised if they had to wait just as long for another title.

Ronaldo is one of those catch 22s. He's their best player by fucking light years but he's also the most destructively distracting as well. I genuinely can't decide what weakens them more - losing him or him staying there to make the squad an even more toxic environment.

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

Ronaldo is one of those catch 22s. He's their best player by fucking light years but he's also the most destructively distracting as well. I genuinely can't decide what weakens them more - losing him or him staying there to make the squad an even more toxic environment.

Him staying. They won't improve the squad properly while he's there.

• Like 2

I do wonder if Forest were actually as woeful as we made them look. We’ll see after a few games.

We might actually just be very good and we’re going to be even fitter game by game.

One thing we need to improve is our corner delivery/routines, we had a dozen early doors and I don’t recall any of them resulting in a real chance or even us having first touch.

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

I do wonder if Forest were actually as woeful as we made them look. We’ll see after a few games.

I think the Brighton game will be a decent yardstick to understand what our level is. It's so difficult to judge when you're up against a newly promoted team - if you lose to them you can argue it's on account of the newly promoted buzz; if you beat them it's because they're shit.

If we dominate Brighton in a similar fashion this weekend then I'll be more convinced the Forest performance wasn't on account of them being wank.

I'm assuming the Saudi kit will make its debut this weekend? Watch the press going into meltdown :lol:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

I think the Brighton game will be a decent yardstick to understand what our level is. It's so difficult to judge when you're up against a newly promoted team - if you lose to them you can argue it's on account of the newly promoted buzz; if you beat them it's because they're shit.

If we dominate Brighton in a similar fashion this weekend then I'll be more convinced the Forest performance wasn't on account of them being wank.

I'm assuming the Saudi kit will make its debut this weekend? Watch the press going into meltdown :lol:

Haven’t bought a kit in donkeys years, but I am soooo fucking tempted to get the white one 😂 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

McTominay & Fred :lol: 

Now you can see why they were interested in Longstaff. :lol:

6 hours ago, toonotl said:

Honestly, Man U since Ferguson left reminds me of Man U pre-Ferguson and even the first couple of years he threw cash everywhere. Took them 26 years of blowing cash before their next title win and I can see similar happening, look at Liverpool, they basically took over Man U's title draught period for that period where the mancs dominated after they'd had it cushy in the 70s/80s.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Easy up man. I wasn't jumping to any conclusions or directly accusing you of being a bigot, just pointing out that one specific slur is still routinely used as a sectarian dog whistle up here. It will always raise eyebrows when used in the context of a Glasgow, Edinburgh or Dundee derby.

On 07/08/2022 at 17:47, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

De Bruyne has been shit today.

Wasn't his best outing, but his shit is still better than the headless chickens over at the swamp.

His pass for Haalands second was none too shabby so should be fun when he gets in his stride...