Other Games 22/23

6 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

despite all that, it would still be disappointing if we do fall away. if we keep up what we've managed for almost 12 months now, and there's no reason to think we can't do that, we should finish in the champions league spots.

We’re not even at the halfway point of the season, there’s absolutely NOTHING to say we ‘should’ finish there. ‘Can’ finish there I would agree with, ‘should’? No.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

A draw for me please.

Chelsea are out of the top 4 this season and a point tonight would put them on the same points as Brentford. City only getting a point keeps us nice and close to the top 2.

When European football starts again I would still like to see us in a similar position to now, only with the benefit of a prime Izak and a new signing or two.

Winning the title obviously would be wildest dreams territory, but I don’t want City or Arsenal opening up a big lead just yet.

Remember folks, this is the clown who wanted Burnley to lose to Southampton(who were pretty much level on points with us at the time) in April last year because he wanted Burnley’s relegation confirmed ASAP irrespective of the impact it had on our finishing spot :doh:

10 hours ago, ewerk said:

It's difficult to overstate just how much of a boost it would be to us financially. Not just the TV and prize money but it would allow us to justify some huge commercial deals from the Saudis. This is a couple of years old but look at the gap in commercial revenue between us and even a small club like Spurs. Qualifying for the CL could be worth over £100m a year to us over a four year period if new deals were suddenly struck in the summer.

E9dDNM9WUAM0Sbs?format=jpg&name=small

Never mind Spurs, what about Everton.  Frightening how far we fell and how much we need to make up.  No wonder FFP is an issue.

5 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Never mind Spurs, what about Everton.  Frightening how far we fell and how much we need to make up.  No wonder FFP is an issue.

I assume Everton's commercial figures are artificially inflated by the dodgy money they were getting from Usmanov to sponsor things like the training ground but it's certainly something we can learn from.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Craig said:

We’re not even at the halfway point of the season, there’s absolutely NOTHING to say we ‘should’ finish there. ‘Can’ finish there I would agree with, ‘should’? No.

our form of the last 12 months suggests we should finish in the top four. 

We were the fourth best team in the last calendar year. So to drop out of the top four would mean our form fell away. 

No disgrace in that, like I said, but it would be slightly disappointing given how absolutely fucking mint we’ve been since February. 

3FA1D2AC-F29E-40AC-922B-EA3DBABF81AA.webp

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

We were the fourth best team in the last calendar year. So to drop out of the top four would mean our form fell away. 

No disgrace in that, like I said, but it would be slightly disappointing given how absolutely fucking mint we’ve been since February. 

The only thing we have going against us is our lack of depth in the squad. The other top 4 contenders can rotate their lineups whereas we pretty much have one first XI and little below that. It will take a gargantuan effort from the players to keep that form up over the next five months but we have clever people managing their workload and fantastic team spirit so let's enjoy the ride and see where it takes us.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The only thing we have going against us is our lack of depth in the squad. The other top 4 contenders can rotate their lineups whereas we pretty much have one first XI and little below that. It will take a gargantuan effort from the players to keep that form up over the next five months but we have clever people managing their workload and fantastic team spirit so let's enjoy the ride and see where it takes us.

Yeah, I agree. It will hinge on injuries and whether we can make a couple of quality signings this January. I don’t think anyone 100% expects us to finish top 4. The pundits expect and hope we will fall away.

But we have a great chance of doing it thanks to our steely-eyed genius of a football manager.

It would be a massive effort given where we were this time last season. But I have massive faith in Howe based on what we’ve seen on the pitch, particularly since the start of the season. The players have all bought into the system to the extent that I would still have faith if someone like Murphy or Manquillo have to come in and plug a gap for a few games.

Plus we have ASM who has barely played since he tore Kyle Walker apart, and Isak to return. Like a new signing etc 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

3FA1D2AC-F29E-40AC-922B-EA3DBABF81AA.webp

Saying we should finish in the top 4 is bordering on 'entitled cunt' levels. No thanks.

If we finish top 4 it'd be fucking immense, but there should zero expectation of doing so at this point in our journey - irrespective of recent form.

• Like 1

BTW Gloomy, I'm not trying to be contrary towards you - I get the point you're making and of course optimism should never be discouraged. It should definitely be tempered though. 

If we finish top 7 this season we'll have achieved our pre-season target and we should be satisfied with that. We absolutely should dare to dream on achieving more than that but, if it doesn't come off we should still be satisfied with hitting that mark. Let's keep things in context and absolutely NOT act like mardy cunts if we miss out on CL football - they'll be enough of those dickheads all over Twitter & Facebook.

9 minutes ago, Craig said:

Saying we should finish in the top 4 is bordering on 'entitled cunt' levels. No thanks.

If we finish top 4 it'd be fucking immense, but there should zero expectation of doing so at this point in our journey - irrespective of recent form.

jesus wept, you're the kind of tedious bloke who would start an argument with himself in an empty room.

i might be a cunt but i am not at all entitled. if we continue playing like we have - and we are lucky with injuries  - we should end up in the top four.  that's what the evidence suggests.

i have said all along that this would be an unbelievable achievement given where we have come from and how quickly we have got here. but what i have seen on the pitch gives me hope we can do it 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

BTW Gloomy, I'm not trying to be contrary towards you - I get the point you're making and of course optimism should never be discouraged. It should definitely be tempered though. 

If we finish top 7 this season we'll have achieved our pre-season target and we should be satisfied with that. We absolutely should dare to dream on achieving more than that but, if it doesn't come off we should still be satisfied with hitting that mark. Let's keep things in context and absolutely NOT act like mardy cunts if we miss out on CL football - they'll be enough of those dickheads all over Twitter & Facebook.

yeah, i mean i have said this all along. 

in the context of where we were pre-takeover, top 7 is a still huge progress and on reflection after the season i don't think anyone would judge eddie harshly if that's where we end up. it's a credit to him and his staff that he's raised expectations.

however, it would be slightly disappointing because it would mean we have dropped off. i genuinely don't see it happening, i have that much confidence in our new manager. 

• Like 2

The 'evidence' at this stage in 1996 suggested we should win the league. We didn't. It's not about being tedious and starting an argument, it's about enjoying this ride one step at a time. If it's meant to be, we'll get there. 

As others have said we don't have the depth of squad that those competing for 3rd and 4th with us have. 

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm hoying an absolute wobbler if Everton don't get relegated. So start fucking preparing yourselves now. 

FYP

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Rosco said:

A big concern for me would be injury to Trippier or Burn as we have nobody at the moment to replace them

injuries are the thing that will screw us. we've been fairly lucky on that score so far. hopefuly targett's inury keeps him out for weeks rather than months as he is a more than competent deputy at left back. 

shame about krafth too as he was quality while tripper was crocked last season, which explains the right back links. 

i think central midfield is the area where we might look to strengthen this january. with shelvey out we're an injury to bruno away from looking pretty weak in that area creatively. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

9 minutes ago, Craig said:

The 'evidence' at this stage in 1996 suggested we should win the league. We didn't. It's not about being tedious and starting an argument, it's about enjoying this ride one step at a time. If it's meant to be, we'll get there. 

As others have said we don't have the depth of squad that those competing for 3rd and 4th with us have. 

i have said squad depth is our achilles heel too. 

trust me, i am enjoying this. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1