Other Games 22/23

Fair play, Kalvin Phillips deserves his call up to the national side after getting his first league start of the season just last week.

And hats off to Harry Maguire for starting TWO league matches in the last three months.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Pope is having an operation on his hand which is why he wasn't picked. Dubravka will be in nets against Chelsea. 

After this match Pickford is booked in to the Cardio-Thoracic ward for an operation on his hand, too. …

• Haha 3

I'd argue Willock over Longstaff as he overall more to his game and has been excellent this season. Fact Gallagher got selected over him tell you all you need to know about Southgate. Zero merit, creativity or cojones. A shame for England as with a decent manager this squad could have a real go, with him you'd need a massive strock of luck or the other teams to implode. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

I'd argue Willock over Longstaff as he overall more to his game and has been excellent this season. Fact Gallagher got selected over him tell you all you need to know about Southgate. Zero merit, creativity or cojones. A shame for England as with a decent manager this squad could have a real go, with him you'd need a massive strock of luck or the other teams to implode. 

Willock's injured and Longstaff only just back, so neither would be appropriate.  However, there are surely better options than those picked or does he just keep on picking those he has already picked because this is his last go and he can't really be bothered one way or the other?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Dan Burn should feel hard done to. Versatile, a threat from set pieces, an ever present in the best defence in the league. Stinks that Maguire, Dunk and Mings get picked ahead of him 

Mings I would argue has been in decent form so deserves a call up.  Maguire we all know is chief Southgate hoop licker.

• Like 1

What makes it even worse is Southgate then has to employ tactics to protect Maguire and his lack of pace etc. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What is it Maguire is meant to do well :lol:

When he first broke into the side I liked him. When he played in a back 3 at the World Cup in Russia he was good at bringing the ball out from the back. But he’s gone backwards both in performances and confidence as his weaknesses have been exposed. If he was at a mid-table side I don’t even think he’d be making the squad. We don’t have loads of good English CBs though either (not saying that justifies him getting called up) 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Alex said:

If he was at a mid-table side I don’t even think he’d be making the squad.

We'll find out very soon if that theory holds up.

• Haha 2

I know there’s a big U21s tournament coming up but you’ve got to feel for some of them not getting a look in against completely lacking opposition like Malta and North Macedonia. Maybe not in the defence but the likes of Ramsey, Gibbs-White and even Curtis Jones have an argument that they should have been integrated. Mind, at least Eric Dier isn’t in there

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

What is it Maguire is meant to do well :lol:

I refer to my learned friend's previous answer. 

4 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Maguire we all know is chief Southgate hoop licker.

🙂 

• Haha 3