Other Games 22/23

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It makes the prospect of soccer Saturday with Merson, Le Tissier and Thompson  sound appealing 

Steady on 

• Haha 2

Soccer Saturday pre Merson was good despite people like Thompson. Alan McInally, Charlie Nicolas and a few others, along with Kammy were fine at worst. Stelling running the show kept things moving, and I think he was more comfortable because he was genuinely friendly with a lot of those guys, which no doubt helped with the atmosphere they created. It was obviously jobs for the boys, and a lot of them didn't know much about contemporary football at the time despite having a career in it. 

Edited by Polarboy

Where I used to work there was a photography studio in the same building.  One day I'm sat at my desk and I see Jeff Stelling walking towards the building.  He comes into our office lost.  Receptionist points him in the right way.  At lunch a few of us were sat outside enjoying the sun.  He came out and came over to us and asked us where to get a good coffee.  Told him a shop, he came back to his car and thanked us and said it was a nice coffee,  We had a little natter with him.  He was doing some promo shots for Sky Sports.  He came across as a genuine nice guy.

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Where I used to work there was a photography studio in the same building.  One day I'm sat at my desk and I see Jeff Stelling walking towards the building.  He comes into our office lost.  Receptionist points him in the right way.  At lunch a few of us were sat outside enjoying the sun.  He came out and came over to us and asked us where to get a good coffee.  Told him a shop, he came back to his car and thanked us and said it was a nice coffee,  We had a little natter with him.  He was doing some promo shots for Sky Sports.  He came across as a genuine nice guy.

image.gif.1bc0afa2684531db3c8bd516d1338fe0.gif

WYKIKI'S FIRST EVER POSITIVE CELEBRITY ANECDOTE.

image.gif.bead357880292819023e43b5f9c11b04.gif

• Haha 14

3 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Soccer Saturday pre Merson was good despite people like Thompson. Alan McInally, Charlie Nicolas and a few others, along with Kammy were fine at worst. Stelling running the show kept things moving, and I think he was more comfortable because he was genuinely friendly with a lot of those guys, which no doubt helped with the atmosphere they created. It was obviously jobs for the boys, and a lot of them didn't know much about contemporary football at the time despite having a career in it. 

Alan Mullery, George Best, Rodney Marsh and Frank McLintock was the classic lineup.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

I watched his interview after the game. He wasn't giving much away when the reporter asked him if it was his last game for Celta. He just said how much loved Celta and the fans basically. What's your opinion on a young Spanish player like Veiga leaving Spain and the Spanish league? It doesn't seem to happen very often, and I would assume that Barca or Real Madrid will snap him up as opposed to him choosing to come to the premier league. 

Edited by Polarboy

8 hours ago, Polarboy said:

I watched his interview after the game. He wasn't giving much away when the reporter asked him if it was his last game for Celta. He just said how much loved Celta and the fans basically. What's your opinion on a young Spanish player like Veiga leaving Spain and the Spanish league? It doesn't seem to happen very often, and I would assume that Barca or Real Madrid will snap him up as opposed to him choosing to come to the premier league. 

In Spain it has been rumored for many months that the boy is going to play in the Premier League next year. In fact, the president of Celta himself said a few months ago that it was going to be impossible for them to retain him because there were already 4 Premier League teams that had told him they were willing to pay the money from his termination clause.

From Spain it has always been said that the best positioned team to sign him is Newcastle.

I have seen him play very little, because he has only been at the highest level for a year and I almost never watch the Spanish League, but I think he is one of the most exciting players that Spain has produced in a long time and I should pay €40M for him. it's something we could do and not feel like it's a waste of money.

He can play as a pure midfielder, playmaker or pivot, which is where he has played most of the year and has finished with 11 goals.

I don't think Barcelona are going to sign him.

Real Madrid did want it, but I see it as complicated, because now they have to urgently restructure other more important positions.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Viega, Szoboszlai, or Maddison? 

Probably don't need all three? 

We could accommodate all of them.

Maddison wide right ahead of Almiron

Szoboslai centre left ahead of Willock

Viega centre mid ahead of Longstaff.

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

Twitter talk indicates Viega favours going to the scouse and playing for the horse toothed maniac.

I thought it was Szoboszlai who was supposedly desperate to work under donkey face because he said in an old interview he respected Klopp, Pep and Mourinho. Which is the most general thing you can say in football. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the chat from Liverpool supporters or Liverpool transfer accounts on Twitter if that's the source. They think every player even marginally linked to them is desperate to join and that it's only a formality before they do. The facts seem to be that they couldn't afford Bellingham, they've bought Mac Allister, albeit for a supposedly somewhat reasonable fee of around 55m, and they need defensive and box to box mids. I can't see them paying 35m for a player who's very similar to Mac Allister in terms of what he does for the team. Mac Allister can also play more defensively but I don't see that being a factor. I've seen players like Lavia and Thuram linked for that six role, and they're supposedly interested in Barella for the box to box player. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Twitter reckons Liverpool are favourites to get Veiga, and Man Utd are favourites to get the Napoli CB.

Nice to be even competing for this level of player though! 

Are you lot not competing with the likes of Bristol City, Rochdale, Benidorm FC and Hartlepool United?

29 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Twitter reckons Liverpool are favourites to get Veiga, and Man Utd are favourites to get the Napoli CB.

Nice to be even competing for this level of player though! 

Arsenal were favourites to sign Bruno. Weren't Milan favourites to sign Botman as well?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Arsenal were favourites to sign Bruno. Weren't Milan favourites to sign Botman as well?

I refer the right honourable gentleman to the 'Gazumped y'fucka' thread. :good:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1