Other Games 22/23

If anyone is struggling with this result a bit, get yourself over to RTG. They are fucking beside themselves. Moyes has just proven that their club was shit, and not him :lol:

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

If anyone is struggling with this result a bit, get yourself over to RTG. They are fucking beside themselves. Moyes has just proven that their club was shit, and not him :lol:

They hate him for telling the truth. They love Allerdyce for selling a lie. Mackems man.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Antonio showing Scammaca what a hard forward does......... Fuck all

West Ham fans flying the cunt flag as normal 

Fiorentina player cut with a cup thrown from the crowd. Utter cunts 

hes-back-stare.gif.10b687541f4b74809ab93836d8da150a.gif

• Haha 5

Out of interest, what ranking do people give the following competitions in order of "big" trophies?

Charity Shield

Premier League

FA Cup

League Cup

Europa Conference

Europa League

Champions League

Club World Cup

European Super Cup

North East Top Dogs Trophy

Friendly Cup

Champions League

Premier League

Europa League

FA Cup

League Cup
Europa Conference

Club World Cup

European Super Cup

Charity Shield

• Haha 7

Completely forgot it was last night tbh. Canny for West Ham. Don’t really mind them in the grand scheme of things. We’d have been over the moon. Also worth it for the Weirdside seethe

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1. Champions League
2. Premier League
3. FA Cup
4. Europa League
5. European Super Cup
6. Club World Cup
7. League Cup
8. Charity Shield
9. Europa Conference League

41 minutes ago, ewerk said:

North East Top Dogs Trophy

Friendly Cup

Champions League

Premier League

Europa League

FA Cup

League Cup
Europa Conference

Club World Cup

European Super Cup

Charity Shield

:lol: :lol:

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Out of interest, what ranking do people give the following competitions in order of "big" trophies?

Charity Shield

Premier League

FA Cup

League Cup

Europa Conference

Europa League

Champions League

Club World Cup

European Super Cup

Although I'm not that old so don't know for sure, I genuinely believe that there was a time when the FA Cup was top of that list for club level

World Cup (Country)

Premier League

European Champions (Country)

Champions League

FA Cup

Europa League

The Old Cup Winners Cup

Europa Conference

League Cup

Club World Cup

European Super Cup

Charity Shield

Full Members Cup

Simod Cup

All the club level 4 team pre-season warm up tournaments

Nations League (Country)

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Charity Shield

Premier League

FA Cup

League Cup

Europa Conference

Europa League

Champions League

Club World Cup

European Super Cup

Champions League

Premier League

FA Cup

Europa League

League Cup

Europa Conference

European Super Cup

Club World Cup

Charity Shield

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

Although I'm not that old so don't know for sure, I genuinely believe that there was a time when the FA Cup was top of that list for club level

World Cup (Country)

Premier League

European Champions (Country)

Champions League

FA Cup

Europa League

The Old Cup Winners Cup

Europa Conference

League Cup

Club World Cup

European Super Cup

Charity Shield

Full Members Cup

Simod Cup

All the club level 4 team pre-season warm up tournaments

Nations League (Country)

It absolutely was, apparently NUFC were in with an outside chance of winning the league but basically didn't risk some of our better players and barely won a game after the SF in one of the fifties wins. I once had a similar chat with a Liverpool fan who didn't believe the cup was more important back then but this was probably because we'd won six of them before Liverpool won their first in 1965. Everyone wanted to watch or hear the cup final, it was the grand national of football. Sunderland's record gate is 75,000 for a QF game in the cup, a few weeks there was sub 10,000 as they were all home listening to the final on the wireless as the game was played on the same day.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Sunderland's record gate is 75,000 for a QF game in the cup, a few weeks there was sub 10,000 as they were all home listening to the final on the wireless as the game was played on the same day.

When wedding season and cup final season collide.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

It absolutely was, apparently NUFC were in with an outside chance of winning the league but basically didn't risk some of our better players and barely won a game after the SF in one of the fifties wins. I once had a similar chat with a Liverpool fan who didn't believe the cup was more important back then but this was probably because we'd won six of them before Liverpool won their first in 1965. Everyone wanted to watch or hear the cup final, it was the grand national of football. Sunderland's record gate is 75,000 for a QF game in the cup, a few weeks there was sub 10,000 as they were all home listening to the final on the wireless as the game was played on the same day.

I suspect that back then the First Division or FA Cup argument was had in the same way we now say Premier League or Champions League.

What’s kind of daft with the European trophy set up is that the UEFA Cup and the CWC were great competitions. And now they’ve gone back to 3 competitions but with the Conference diminished compared to the previous two (and the Europa League probably is a bit too). I know the CL had to happen but I reckon you’d improve things by having a return to a UEFA Cup / CWC that were both straight knockout competitions. This probably won’t happen because UEFA seem obsessed with a league format in every competition. But these early league games seem to have no interest at all for the neutral 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Mentioned it on here that Charlie Crowe talks about it in one of his books. It was 50/51. After they win the replay they only won one more league game until the final. They won their last two but they were after the final. They finished well behind spurs in the end but still came 4th 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

What’s kind of daft with the European trophy set up is that the UEFA Cup and the CWC were great competitions. And now they’ve gone back to 3 competitions but with the Conference diminished compared to the previous two (and the Europa League probably is a bit too). I know the CL had to happen but I reckon you’d improve things by having a return to a UEFA Cup / CWC that were both straight knockout competitions. This probably won’t happen because UEFA seem obsessed with a league format in every competition. But these early league games seem to have no interest at all for the neutral 

Obviously it's the money side of it that means we get the league format but the quality of these competitions was primarily diluted by the expansion of the CL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

Mentioned it on here that Charlie Crowe talks about it in one of his books. It was 50/51. After they win the replay they only won one more league game until the final. They won their last two but they were after the final. They finished well behind spurs in the end but still came 4th 

Jackie Milburn talked about it in his book in the same terms - "You can win the league while sitting on a beach listening to a match on the radio but you win the cup in front of 100k on a special day" or something along those lines. I can see the point but beating 19 teams over 9 months is more of an achievement for me and my respect for the cup was slightly tainted by the two horrible defeats. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NJS said:

Jackie Milburn talked about it in his book in the same terms - "You can win the league while sitting on a beach listening to a match on the radio but you win the cup in front of 100k on a special day" or something along those lines. I can see the point but beating 19 teams over 9 months is more of an achievement for me and my respect for the cup was slightly tainted by the two horrible defeats. 

Aye but back then it was the main event, pathe would've shown highlights across the land, I totally get your point now, but if you put it in their context it makes sense. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NJS said:

It would have been televised live too. Whilst not many people had television most fans who couldn’t get to Wembley could’ve probably managed to watch it somehow. At the very least a lot of people including neutrals would’ve listened in. I think the league is rightly bigger now but I think one of the major things for making it less of an occasion was having it on the same day as other PL games after the CL final was moved to a Saturday. It was nice it being after the season finished again this year. Although I assume that’s a one off because of the mid-season World Cup 

• Like 1