St James’ Park

Craig

• Craig changed the title to St James’ Park
3 hours ago, Dougle said:

's

I wasn’t referring to the Royal Park in London.

Wykiki on the other hand is correct. Duly amended.

• Haha 2

Love this thread already. I love football grounds and the history of football grounds. I have the pleasure of knowning the engineers who worked on the structure of the leazes cantilever. He won an award in the institute of structural engineer for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dougle said:

So when you say the name you don't pronounce the grammatically ambiguous second s at the end then?

If that’s the case mate you are in a very tiny minority.

Always found it weird that supermac  calls it st james park 

30 minutes ago, strawb said:

As if you don’t have astroturf

Hoverboard would probably melt it if he did.

Before the FCB plastered the place with the hoardings he never got round to paying for.

49480225751_13933ba1cb_k.jpg

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dougle said:

So when you say the name you don't pronounce the grammatically ambiguous second s at the end then?

How you choose to pronounce it is irrelevant in this context. 

12 hours ago, Dougle said:

He's spelling it, not saying it though :lol: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

He's spelling it, not saying it though :lol: 

Well if he’s saying it with a second s on the end then to spelling without surely means one must be incorrect?

Anyhow it seems we are both correct.

From the BBC:

It seems there is no definitive answer to the debate, as Dr Alan Firth, senior lecturer in applied linguistics at Newcastle University, told BBC Radio Newcastle.

"We would say that the apostrophe needs to be there because it's the park of St James. But there's variability," he said.

"It's optional whether you have s apostrophe or s apostrophe s. You can choose either and both are correct."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/articles/2008/05/30/st_james_apostrophe_feature.shtml

Edited by Dougle

Both versions are grammatically correct (which I don’t think was being disputed), but only one spelling applies to the place Newcastle play football, which is only being disputed by Dougle, I think ;) 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Dougle said:

Well if he’s saying it with a second s on the end then to spelling without surely means one must be incorrect?

Anyhow it seems we are both correct.

From the BBC:

It seems there is no definitive answer to the debate, as Dr Alan Firth, senior lecturer in applied linguistics at Newcastle University, told BBC Radio Newcastle.

"We would say that the apostrophe needs to be there because it's the park of St James. But there's variability," he said.

"It's optional whether you have s apostrophe or s apostrophe s. You can choose either and both are correct."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/articles/2008/05/30/st_james_apostrophe_feature.shtml

I prefer to use actual evidence rather than the subjective views of a lecturer. 

Newcastle United: St. James' Park Name Change Is a Disgrace | News, Scores,  Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

There is no 'second' S :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1