St James’ Park

Craig

4 hours ago, Craig said:

I prefer to use actual evidence rather than the subjective views of a lecturer. 

Newcastle United: St. James' Park Name Change Is a Disgrace | News, Scores,  Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

There is no 'second' S :smile:

He’s a professor of applied linguistics man, who do you think put that sign up? The majority of knackers we’ve had in positions of power at this club over the years are I would think less qualified than him in the matter.

The sign above the old gates had no apostrophe and no second s. Would you say that was correct too?

https://i2-prod.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article6917787.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/St-James-Park.jpg

The whole thing is evidently subjective depending on who is in charge at the time and how their personal take on grammar swings.

You’ve got St James’ Boulivard (apostrophe), yet St James (no apostrophe) Metro station.

Subjective, and transient. (See the gates)

Anyway I know what I call the place and it’s not St James’ and if I’m wrong then so must the majority be, regardless as to the how the fuckwhits in charge of the signage decide they like it spelled/pronounced.

You could say that about churches no?

There’s a St Giles Church In Durham with no apostrophe, St Giles's Church in Tattenhoe, yet there’s a St Giles’ Cathedral Edinburgh.

As I said, seems very subjective.

1 hour ago, Dougle said:

You’ve got St James’ Boulivard (apostrophe), yet St James (no apostrophe) Metro station.

Thank you for proving my point :lol:

Drop the words 'Boulevard' or 'Park' and it simply becomes St James 

And just to dispell the 'dyslexic sign installer' myth, Companies House is fairly definitive on the spelling of the address:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/02529667

Edited by Craig

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm old enough to remember when Craig told us all how good he was at just walking away from stupid arguments. 

tenor.gif?c=VjFfbWljcm9zb2Z0X3N3aWZ0a2V5

I'm old enough to remember when Gemmill told me he was putting me on ignore.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

One of us was joking, although if you post any more links to Companies House, who knows? :lol:

Biggest disappointment from you yet :lol:

20 minutes ago, Craig said:

Thank you for proving my point :lol:

Drop the words 'Boulevard' or 'Park' and it simply becomes St James 

And just to dispell the 'dyslexic sign installer' myth, Companies House is fairly definitive on the spelling of the address:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/02529667

That’s like saying that Micky Quinn’s name is not Micky Quinn because it says Michael on his birth certificate, bus pass and pension book.

It is both.

• Jaysus... 1

Ok lads I’ll admit I have been roundly defeated by the persistence of Craig and his various subservient chippers in.

The ground’s undeniable name in the written form is undoubtedly St James’ Park (unequivocally).

But honestly (and seriously) how many of us don’t pronounce the missing second s?

It’s usually just some southern commentator or pundit.

• Haha 2

Just now, Gemmill said:

You've gone too early Dougle. If you'd stuck it out for maybe another fortnight, Craig would've walked away. He's famous for it. 

:icon_lol:

I was weighing up whether to point out that James' is indeed pronounced Jameses. 

Roger Tames with his St James Park can fuck right off! That's in Exeter, and Brackley.