“When Seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think Eddie’s Fishers of Men will be thrown into the sea.”

PaddockLad

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

How did the stats on ASM do? 

IMO his game wasn't as bad as people might think - the temptation is to think he was passing to no one a few times because... I mean he was. But 3 separate occasions in there, he carried the ball into the box and passed to midbox where a theoretical onrushing midfielder might be, and no one was there. Now, yes, maybe he should put his head up and check for that. But equally, if someone had made that run all three times I'm pretty sure we would have gotten something from it.

Starting to think he relies on where he thinks people should be, more than where they are.

• Like 1

I mean, I agree. But he clearly he been listening because there were far fewer mazy runs and more attempts to pass or cross, even if they didn’t always come off  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I mean, I agree. But he clearly he been listening because there were far fewer mazy runs and more attempts to pass or cross, even if they didn’t always come off  

Yeah he's definitely trying. I don't think his failings are down to him rebelling or owt.

• Like 1

The bloke has indeed got bags of talent but surely if he is coached into being a much more practical player, the positive’s in his maverick, artistic side can’t help but be reduced?  🤷‍♂️

Nah I don't buy that. And even if you're right then he needs to leave and we'll replace him with someone with slightly less talent who can do the other team contribution stuff that's expected of them. 

I think/hope he can stay, adapt, and thrive though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

On the plus side those wondering how long it would take to cruise past Man Utd May have already had that one answered 

Gutted we’re not playing them next 

The quiet upcoming hiding is Wolves. They can’t score to save their life, haven’t improved the team in the slightest from their terrible end to last season and we’re about to knock on their door. Get through Man City with our pride and they’re there for a battering

46 minutes ago, Dougle said:

The bloke has indeed got bags of talent but surely if he is coached into being a much more practical player, the positive’s in his maverick, artistic side can’t help but be reduced?  🤷‍♂️

A maverick gets it right 1 time out of 20. If we can improve his overall game to get it right 1 time in 10 that’s a massive improvement.

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Nah I don't buy that. And even if you're right then he needs to leave and we'll replace him with someone with slightly less talent who can do the other team contribution stuff that's expected of them. 

I think/hope he can stay, adapt, and thrive though. 

Correct. Punt the bloke on. He is a show pony. What’s the point in reducing the good side of the bloke so that hopefully he can manage what plenty of other players could do naturally?