Alexander Isak

Anorthernsoul

40 minutes ago, toonotl said:

I don't think that Howe will have reached the point where he's questioning his loyalty to the starting XI that has largely got us to this point in the season. Isak would be closer to starting than ASM as I see it as nothing would be lost in terms of defensive effort. But I think Wilson will be shown loyalty for his early season form (and probably rightly so at this stage). Howe has said that he's mindful that Wilson has lacked training ground time in recent months owing to the WC and the illness he had when he returned from Qatar. I think this is a hint that Howe backs Wilson to get a goal and get back to his early season form. I think that Wilson deserves such a show of faith for previous performances.

I especially don't think we'll see ASM into the starting lineup away from home in such an important game. Howe talks a lot about 'not disrupting the balance of the side' when it comes to making changes and I think this largely relates to his view that it isn't worth sacrificing our defensive shape and workrate for a more aggressive formation or the introduction of the flair of ASM (at least not yet) and I tend to agree with him. The return leg at home may be another story, especially if we need a win.

The players that have been starting have earned Howe's patience and loyalty. And I would argue they've earned the same from us as supporters. We're third in the league for crying out loud with a team that is playing above themselves and playing largely without support from a full squad given the lack of depth that we have in the 25-man group. I think solidarity with the starting XI is the best course of action at the moment.

nowt much wrong with any of that, although i think it's probably pushing it a bit to suggest it would be disloyal of the supporters to want to see isak given a chance at starting at southampton.  :)

wilson's clearly not firing on all cylinders, the pre world cup version would've probably buried his two first half chances against fulham, certainly the second. id rest wilson and give isak a start on tuesday, he might just provide the spark for that elusive first half goal!

• Like 2

Aye what’s the point in trying to build a great squad if we only play players due to ‘loyalty’.

We play to win surely, it’s not about sentimentality .

Folk were howling at Southgate for the loyalty thing.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

nowt much wrong with any of that, although i think it's probably pushing it a bit to suggest it would be disloyal of the supporters to want to see isak given a chance at starting at southampton.  :)

wilson's clearly not firing on all cylinders, the pre world cup version would've probably buried his two first half chances against fulham, certainly the second. id rest wilson and give isak a start on tuesday, he might just provide the spark for that elusive first half goal!

Fair enough. But I'm not suggesting that a supporter wanting to see Isak start at Southampton should be deemed to be displaying disloyalty to Wilson. A supporter can want anything they like and I can certainly understand why some may want to see Isak get a start without it being necessarily a condemnation of Wilson's performances or ability.

I think you might be suggesting (or at least suggesting that I think) that a failure to show loyalty constitutes a display of disloyalty. I don't think that at all. It isn't really a binary operation as I conceive of it. What I am saying is: I think Wilson deserves a show of faith. If he doesn't get that it does not necessarily constitute a show of a lack of faith instead but rather simply a lack of a show of faith. Anyway, splitting hairs perhaps but words are important and annoyingly imprecise. :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, toonotl said:

Fair enough. But I'm not suggesting that a supporter wanting to see Isak start at Southampton should be deemed to be displaying disloyalty to Wilson. A supporter can want anything they like and I can certainly understand why some may want to see Isak get a start without it being necessarily a condemnation of Wilson's performances or ability.

I think you might be suggesting (or at least suggesting that I think) that a failure to show loyalty constitutes a display of disloyalty. I don't think that at all. It isn't really a binary operation as I conceive of it. What I am saying is: I think Wilson deserves a show of faith. If he doesn't get that it does not necessarily constitute a show of a lack of faith instead but rather simply a lack of a show of faith. Anyway, splitting hairs perhaps but words are important and annoyingly imprecise. :)

thank fuck you cleared that up!      ;)

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Dougle said:

Aye what’s the point in trying to build a great squad if we only play players due to ‘loyalty’.

We play to win surely, it’s not about sentimentality .

Folk were howling at Southgate for the loyalty thing.

Are you suggesting that I am arguing that we should 'only play players due to "loyalty"'?

To be clear: I think that a show of loyalty can be a catalyst toward producing good performances and good results. I don't think this is controversial. It would seem that the contention should be about the degree of loyalty shown to players who are underperforming not whether or not loyalty should be shown at all.

I am simply saying ‘loyalty’ should not come at the cost of points, or in this case the chance to progress to a domestic cup final. That is it. Yes show loyalty to players but not at the cost of the team or club.

Aye let’s show Callum some loyalty, if we don’t progress because we can’t score never mind ay? At least we have shown LOYALTY to the big lad.  And there's lways next year (again)

Howay man.

I'll hold my hands up on this one. Prior to the game, I thought Wilson deserved to start and get another chance to prove that he deserves to keep his spot in the team. I think the time has come now though as he was below par again. Wilson looks like he needs a spell to regain a bit of hunger in front of the goal. Isak came on and changed the game. I don't think it was so much related to Southampton tiring either. Isak is simply on a different level at the moment. He has to start the next match.

Edited by toonotl
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Dafuq. Is that a petrol can he's got too? 

It's the bag he carries his trumpet and jars full of dreams in.

• 1 month later...

He looks a real threat, I like how direct he is and how he’s always looking for the positive move or ball. His pace is fucking blistering, once we improve our central midfield so they’re making that through ball to him more consistently defences are going to have fucking nightmares. Only 23 as well :lol: 

• Like 2

Was just making those points on the other thread. Love watching him play. His movement is outstanding and he seems to have a decent head on him. We talk about how he may not be an out and out no.9 but today's header was proper centre forwards' goal. Looks like he's got a bit of everything in his locker. Early days but easy to see why we splunked $65M on him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1