Howe's that for a bunch of Cripples v Here's our Graham with a Quick Reminder what a bunch of Shits We are

wykikitoon

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Would prefer Targett in, but do we save him and introduce him later rather than risk it?

If fit I'd play Targett......Burn will be in for a long night if playing 

Edited by Rosco

33 minutes ago, Craig said:

Can say that pretty much for most of the back 5 during 95/96. 

Bollocks, we only conceded 2 more than the champions, that season, only 3 more than Liverpool in third.

The myth that we couldn’t defend was pure press invention and it seems to have stuck, even amongst our own fans, obviously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Dougle said:

Bollocks, we only conceded 2 more than the champions, that season, only 3 more than Liverpool in third.

The myth that we couldn’t defend was pure press invention and it seems to have stuck, even amongst our own fans, obviously.

Spot on....we finished 2nd and played fantastic football and you couldn't wait for the next game to come round, if only we hadn't got squeaky bums & Keegan had somehow tightened things at the back.....who knows 🏆

I blame this twat for our defence back then

gettyimages-1531554-612x612.jpg.023e84d1c5ed39a9f39edd33387e965e.jpg

Edited by Rosco
  • Like 1

"We've gotten on to Marriner, you're getting fuck all tonight and don't be expecting that work permit being done in time for a game v one of our six clubs. You can have autonomy over Wearside, that'll have to do you for now plus being the best of the rest."

29502511-4166-4D1B-86BD-D58D875538DD.jpeg.ada0ccc9a427bc9a068e180da3b728b9.jpeg.f0f005b942ecf9aebcd81bb56435aaeb.jpeg

"Just agree to what they say for now. Get on to Saudi and tell them to ramp the money and sponsorship up for the next couple of windows, the gazumping is going to go through the fucking roof with these cunts. I want our top men to get all the top UEFA, PL and Mike Riley found in compromising positions with the negatives to prove it."

20200709_121601__01.thumb.jpg.47c2b0db2237ee851d0200670d80ddb0.jpg

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Dougle said:

It was no myth, nor was it press invention. The comparison between how many we conceded in comparison to Man Utd & Liverpool doesn't hold. The comparison needs to be between how many we conceded in the games we didn't win to how many we scored. 

Wimbledon (A), Liverpool (A), Blackburn (A), Forest (A) - 5 examples of matches where we were winning and didn't shut up shop. 

Man United by comparison only gave up points from a winning position on two occasions - Liverpool (H) & Sheffield Wednesday (H) - both of which ended in a draw.

22 minutes ago, Rosco said:

Spot on....we finished 2nd and played fantastic football and you couldn't wait for the next game to come round, if only we hadn't got squeaky bums & Keegan had somehow tightened things at the back.....who knows 🏆

Exactly.

21 minutes ago, Craig said:

It was no myth, nor was it press invention. The comparison between how many we conceded in comparison to Man Utd & Liverpool doesn't hold. The comparison needs to be between how many we conceded in the games we didn't win to how many we scored. 

Wimbledon (A), Liverpool (A), Blackburn (A), Forest (A) - 5 examples of matches where we were winning and didn't shut up shop. 

Man United by comparison only gave up points from a winning position on two occasions - Liverpool (H) & Sheffield Wednesday (H) - both of which ended in a draw.

I would say that the point you are side stepping to is that the tactics in those games where questionable. Your original point was to suggest that the back 5 as players were in the main crap.

Losing tonight won't be fun, but it's nothing but a bump in the road. Said it before but you target games to get points, away to Liverpool is a free hit. Howe knows better than me, but given the injuries and Isak's potential unavailability, I'd play Wood deeper with Almiron and Fraser runners beyond him. Longstaff, Willocka nd Joelinton are going to have to press AND manage their counterpress which means releasing the ball early and, most importantly, being brave on the ball. If Targett isn't fit we're going to need to be wary of overloads on our left flank. Burn will be targeted. 

Man Utd 9-0 Southampton 20/21 followed by a 3-3 draw with Everton

Leicester 9-0 Southampton 19/20 followed by a 2-0 win at Palace

Man City 8-0 Watford 19/20 followed by a 3-1 win at Everton

Southampton 8-0 Sunderland 14/15 followed by a 1-0 win at home to Stoke

Chelsea 8-0 Aston Villa 12/13 followed by a 1-0 win at Norwich

Chelsea 8-0 Wigan 9/10 was the final game of the season (but they had put 7 past; Sunderland, Villa and Stoke that season)

Spurs 9-1 Wigan 9/10 followed by a 1-1 draw at Villa

Newcastle 8-0 Shef Wed 99/00 followed by a 3-2 loss at Everton.

Man Utd 9-0 Ipswich 94/95 followed by a 1-0 win over Wimbledon

I was hoping for some evidence of the foot coming off the gas, but honestly there's only us who lost after such a big win. Three 1-0s though, which wouldn't be a bad result, to be honest.

• Like 3

First choice back 5 + Joelinton makes me confident we can frustrate them and limit their chances but I really can’t see us scoring without Bruno, Wilson and Saint-Maximin, like. I know the temptation is to play Anderson over Longstaff but I think he’d be better suited to a full debut at home where we’ll have more of the ball

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dougle said:

I would say that the point you are side stepping to is that the tactics in those games where questionable. Your original point was to suggest that the back 5 as players were in the main crap.

Defensively, they were. No point black & white sugar coating it. We all enjoyed the free-flowing attacking football that was on display, but to fail to acknowledge that we didn't have a defence that was capable of winning the league would be a mistake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Doesn't that speak more to game management than the quality of the defence?

I'll write this in capital letters so I can come back to it with vigour later. STOP THEM SCORING IN THE FIRST 30 MINUTES WE'LL GET SOMETHING OUT OF THE GAME. 

The more frustrated that Liverpool team get the more they seem to struggle, give them any sort of momentum and they can steam roller you. Need a very resilient start to the game tonight.

• Like 1

right then. that changes everything.

i'm going to go out on a limb and predict we're going to get a result tonight. 2-2 draw  - isak with a late equaliser. 

Edited by Dr Gloom