Howe's that for a bunch of Cripples v Here's our Graham with a Quick Reminder what a bunch of Shits We are

wykikitoon

55 minutes ago, ohhh_yeah said:

Simon Mignolet held the ball once for 22 seconds against Bordeaux and Klopp whined it was not time wasting.

So half the time Pope held it for last night? :lol:

We were fucking time wasting man. It doesn't take a genius to recognise that, and it blew up in our faces. If a team did that at SJP and we stuck in a last minute winner, we'd be giving the same level of shit that the scousers gave us last night. 

Edited by Craig
  • Haha 1

I struggle a bit with this notion that our gameplan "backfired". If we hadn't played like this, are we saying we might have avoided defeat?

IMO we got the best outcome possible out of that game in terms of the tactics we took in. Our tactics didn't cost us the game, they nearly won us the game.

2 minutes ago, ohhh_yeah said:

Trippier:

"We concede in, you could say the last second, but in reality it's two and a half minutes over the five added on."

I ask you this, if Alisson had been down for 95 seconds getting treatment and then we'd got the corner and stuck the ball in the net at 97:09 would you be rattling on that the referee allowed too much added time? 

Would you bollocks! :lol:

Seriously man, there's a difference between being biased and not accepting that we got done because we switched off and didn't close the game out properly. 

5 minutes ago, Craig said:

Schar was IMO bloody lucky not to see red at Wolves. 

In isolation the photo of Schar looks bad.  But when it's fully played he didn't see the player IMO.  But if he had seen red I don't think many would grumble.

Just now, wykikitoon said:

In isolation the photo of Schar looks bad.  But when it's fully played he didn't see the player IMO.  But if he had seen red I don't think many would grumble.

Exactly. It was a decision that went in our favour, as many will do over the course of this season. We'll also have plenty that go against us. It's football.

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I struggle a bit with this notion that our gameplan "backfired". If we hadn't played like this, are we saying we might have avoided defeat?

IMO we got the best outcome possible out of that game in terms of the tactics we took in.

Game plan worked for most of the match. Despite the claims, we weren't time wasting from the off, we posed some real problems for one of the supposed title challengers, we played some good stuff at times and all that. When we needed to make substitutes because our legs were going, the standard we were able to bring on wasn't very good and we needed to resort to more and more time-wasting tactics. Nowt wrong with that at all, but the narrative is shifting from us making a game of it for large parts of the match, to Liverpool battering us for 90 minutes and us time wasting the whole game. This just isn't the case at all. 

The notion that the game plan backfired suggests a different plan would have provided a better result. That trying to out football Liverpool with our second string would have seen us come away with anything other than an absolute shellacking. Bournemouth tried to play football, look what that got them.

In recent history we've had two conflicting game plans against the big boys;

Benitez' stifling anti-football stuff (although I'm a fan of that level of organisation and game management).

Bruce's 'Get the ball to Maxi' and hope and pray.

The latter would have seen us battered, the former would likely have seen us get late in the game before conceding, but losing nonetheless. 

I prefer Howe's approach.

Edited by The Fish
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

I ask you this, if Alisson had been down for 95 seconds getting treatment and then we'd got the corner and stuck the ball in the net at 97:09 would you be rattling on that the referee allowed too much added time? 

Seriously man, there's a difference between being biased and not accepting that we got done because we switched off and didn't close the game out properly. 

No, but the point is you very rarely see referees add all the time stoppages take in injury time onto that injury time. Do you actually think he’d have done that of it was 2-1 already and it was Liverpool doing it? It’s perhaps ‘right’ but I wouldn’t class it as normal or remotely consistent. I tend to agree with UM’s earlier comment though about wasting time in injury time giving a ref the opportunity to do that. I think they do tend to favour the big clubs even if they aren’t doing it on purpose. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

I for one would be demanding that it was chalked off by the VAR.

waynes world wayne campell GIF

It's not Liverpool's responsibility to keep time, that's up to the officials. The 5 minutes of added time was already too many for the half that was played, adding three more on tops was insult to injury.

I'm not bothered by it though as I'm still super happy with the way we played with who we had available as well as a fantastic debut for Isak.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

No, but the point is you very rarely see referees add all the time stoppages take in injury time onto that injury time. Do you actually think he’d have done that of it was 2-1 already and it was Liverpool doing it? It’s perhaps ‘right’ but I wouldn’t class it as normal or remotely consistent. I tend to agree with UM’s earlier comment though about wasting time in injury time giving a ref the opportunity to do that. I think they do tend to favour the big clubs even if they aren’t doing it on purpose. 

I can't recall a specific example but it's certainly not unprecedented. I think we also have to consider that it was the GK receiving treatment so I think he undoubtedly and consciously stopped the clock. 

Irrespective, my issue is with those trying to argue the additional time was 'invented'. It absolutely wasn't. I don't think it's easy to provide a direct comparison either. It's just not that binary.

2 minutes ago, OTF said:

It's not Liverpool's responsibility to keep time, that's up to the officials. The 5 minutes of added time was already too many for the half that was played, adding three more on tops was insult to injury.

Wait, what? Have you banged your head or something? :lol:

I've never once suggested anyone except the officials time-keep. And were do these additional 51 seconds keep coming from? :lol:

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

So the time Pope was treated he added extra on to the extra time for that? That's what you're saying? 

It's easier to refer you back to this. 

3 hours ago, Craig said:

I've found a full match reply online this morning and watched back the section on added on time to see what the milestones were:

92:30 - Pope went down under the challenge from Van Dijk

94:05 - Play resumed (95 seconds)

96:35 - Ball went out for the final corner (95 +96s)

97:02 - Corner taken
97:09 - Goal scored.

So it's reasonable to accept we were still in time up until that final corner was awarded. Marriner has done what almost any referee would do and allow that corner to be taken. Let's face it, if it had been at the other end and he'd have blown up before it was taken, we'd have gone nuts. They could also debate that Pope took 40 seconds to take a goal kick in added on time.

Looking objectively, I think we WERE trying to waste time, and we shouldn't be ashamed of that - we had an understrength team at Anfield on the verge of securing a draw. If we weren't trying to kill time then I've got questions about our fitness with the amount of cramp going on.  I think the gameplan from the moment Liverpool equalised was to go for the draw - no coincidence in my mind that Isak & Fraser who had been our best attacking threats came off within 3 minutes.

The VAR call was really tight and open to interpretation - we're all looking at the feet but it's clear Isak's upper body would be considered offside. Some clarity and consistency is required however we've benefitted from 3 VAR calls this season (Miggy goal & Trippier foul v Man City; Wolves disallowed goal). You win some, you lose some. 

We have to accept that we switched off and weren't as savvy in added on time than we should have been. It's a horrific pill to swallow - a draw would have been a fair result but the 'we were absolutely robbed' mantra is neither accurate, nor makes us look good. The one thing I do thing was disgraceful was the antics of the Liverpool bench following their winner. Absolutely unnecessary.

25 minutes ago, Craig said:

I would wonder why Janny Sikazwe was not involved in that decision!   :banana:

I feel like Craig's well-won reputation for just being able to drop it and walk away from an argument without ever feeling the need to always have the last word is being very mildly put to the test today. 

I don't know if anyone else has picked up on this?

• Haha 12

46 minutes ago, Craig said:

Wait, what? Have you banged your head or something? :lol:

I've never once suggested anyone except the officials time-keep. And were do these additional 51 seconds keep coming from? :lol:

Then why would the Liverpool fans be rattling on about something that they gained advantage from and had nothing to do with? The point was that regardless of what it is noone draws attention to something that they gained unfair advantage from, much less if they had no control or influence over it.

At any length I'm honestly not bothered by it, and futher I am more than happy for you to be contrary about it for the sake of whatever you get from doing so.

And please don't worry that Dick Keys of all people has statistically eradicated your opinion from reality by showing that the referee had unnecessarily added the 5 minutes of time in the first place by the barometer of time with the ball in play which was well above the average (in top 20%).

• Jaysus... 1

I still think people should be focusing on how close we came to quite comfortably dispatching them on their home turf with a second string team, rather than the fact we lost in the final moments. It's not like it was a boring game either, Klopp himself is apparently going to remember it for years to come :cuppa:

• Like 5

The Football Association is reviewing an incident where a Newcastle staff member appeared to throw an object towards the Liverpool technical area during the Reds' 2-1 win on Wednesday.

Players and staff from both teams clashed after Fabio Carvalho's 98th-minute winner at Anfield.

It is unclear if the incident, captured on television, sparked the melee in front of the dugouts.

Newcastle declined to comment when contacted by BBC Sport.

The FA will also consider other factors in the build up to the confrontation.

Boss Eddie Howe called the late winner a "sickener" after his side had led 1-0 through a debut goal from £60m record signing Alexander Isak.

Roberto Firmino equalised for Liverpool before Carvalho hooked in from close range to win the game with almost the last kick.

Referee Andre Marriner had added on five additional minutes, but several Newcastle players went down with cramp, while goalkeeper Nick Pope also suffered an injury during the extra time.

When asked about Newcastle's apparent time-wasting, Klopp said of Carvalho's goal on BT Sport: "It's the perfect response to that. I am really happy about that."

The German added: "I don't know when the kicking the ball away stopped being a yellow card. When did this rule die?"

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I still think people should be focusing on how close we came to quite comfortably dispatching them on their home turf with a second string team, rather than the fact we lost in the final moments. It's not like it was a boring game either, Klopp himself is apparently going to remember it for years to come :cuppa:

It clearly meant a lot to Klopp the way he celebrated, for a moment I wasn't sure whether he'd gone rabid and was worried that they'd have to get out the curtain.

• Haha 3