Extra Time on Extra Time Hating Bastards v Exhibition Building Loving, Shandy Drinking Fannies

wykikitoon

Just now, Isegrim said:

It would be so exciting to watch us these days if the inconsistency of the refereeing wasn’t costing us again and again. The amount of dubious or plainly absurd decisions against not just this season but lost season is taking all the fun out of it.

Fully agree, we play such a good pressing game that every opponent starts getting frustrated and flopping about - the refs more often than not start giving fouls. There was moment where Zaha stepped over the ball and just fell over no Newcastle player near him and he started screaming for a free kick, I honestly thought the ref would give it based on the decisions we’ve been getting recently :lol:.

Its not often that the response to decisions is so unananimous in our favor but the Isak offside and so far todays decision I’ve seen nothing but confusion over the decision from everyone that’s not a Liverpool/Palace/mackem fan. 

• Like 1

Just now, wykikitoon said:

Who do you drop for Anderson?

I would have said Longstaff, but does he have the discipline to hold like Holden said?

Hopefully Bruno & ASM will be back for the next match so the decision doesn't even need to be made.  Surely the midfield will be Joelinton, Bruno & Willock and the front 3 ASM, Isak & Almiron?

I think it's still too early to be starting Anderson, but we should be trying to involve him earlier in the matches than we are doing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

I would have said Longstaff, but does he have the discipline to hold like Holden said?

It's a tough one because it's not patently clear the differences in the instructions and intended positioning for Willock, Longstaff and Joelinton.

For me it would still be Longstaff as he wants too much time on the ball where-as Anderson's strength seems to be his close control and sharp interplay. Positionally that means Willock maybhave to sit back a bit with Joelinton best with a free-roaming pass.

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

I didn't see or listen to the game and tried to keep up with it on the Sky app and on here. My observations.

1) Fortress St James still unbleached but obviously we need 3 points from most home games.

2) sounds like we were unlucky not to win with VAR over ruling a legitimate goal and hitting the woodwork twice.

3) This is an abortion of a thread. Started off bad enough with some gif frenzy (soz for my part in that) and the rest is just a pile on on Craig about who is to blame for the VAR balls up. 

4) Gemmill went to this and must take his share of the blame the fucking Jonah. 

can you please star attending games again, selfish wanker 

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

He could do Longstaffs job imo, but as Craig said hopefully the midfield will be Bruno, Joe and Willock - I think I’d prefer to see him over Almiron or Fraser in that RW role in some games to see what he can offer there as currently we just get so little from that position. I’d honestly be tempted to see Almiron moved back into Willocks role as I think Willock offers so little currently and Almirons pressing is better. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

Fully agree, we play such a good pressing game that every opponent starts getting frustrated and flopping about - the refs more often than not start giving fouls. There was moment where Zaha stepped over the ball and just fell over no Newcastle player near him and he started screaming for a free kick, I honestly thought the ref would give it based on the decisions we’ve been getting recently :lol:.

Its not often that the response to decisions is so unananimous in our favor but the Isak offside and so far todays decision I’ve seen nothing but confusion over the decision from everyone that’s not a Liverpool/Palace/mackem fan. 

The offside decision on Wednesday was worse than the added time imho as the latter was to be expected with Pope’s treatment.

I do it kind of frustrating that with this kind of offside decisions they do always say that the pictures and lines used by VAR are more clear but don’t make them public. It’s a total lack of transparency that is not just affecting us.

I don’t watch a lot of German football these days. But from the games I watch as well as European and international matches I haven’t seen the amount of questionable decisions you do get in England. How can it get handled so badly?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NJS said:

Might have been said but the selection of the angle and the removal of the second before the collision which includes the push is what should be questioned. 

I don't blame the ref given what he was shown but the edit stinks and Mason not highlighting the push given he'd have seen the full replay set reekks even more. 

Aye why was that edited out?

This is fucking scandalous.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

He could do Longstaffs job imo, but as Craig said hopefully the midfield will be Bruno, Joe and Willock - I think I’d prefer to see him over Almiron or Fraser in that RW role in some games to see what he can offer there as currently we just get so little from that position. I’d honestly be tempted to see Almiron moved back into Willocks role as I think Willock offers so little currently and Almirons pressing is better. 

And if Anderson is to earn a starting spot it would be over Willock and then we'd potentially have quite a balanced midfield three with the spark from both Bruno and Anderson.

A legitimate exciting prospect.

• Like 2

Just now, Howay said:

Almiron is a fucking machine, like. When he was pressing their keeper first half it was unreal. As with Joelinton, if he could only finish he'd be an absolute world beater. 

We're really missing Bruno & ASM which succinctly highlights the lack of depth to our squad. By contrast we've got some decent depth to our backline these days and whilst it's fashionable to be heavily critical of Lascelles, playing him in a strong defence alongside the likes of Trippier & Botman will draw out a much better player. He always looked fairly decent alongside Coloccini, but it's clear he's not a leader. 

Anderson as I've said before reminds me of a young Paul Gascoigne. I don't think his value will be realised out on the flanks, I think he's a through the centre type of player. If we nurture him properly, there's no reason he cannot emerge for us similar to how Foden has for Man City.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Possibly the most frustrating game of football I’ve ever seen in my life. From the refs to our second string shit. Anderson starts all day next week for me

I’d save him for Sunday tbh.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Why the fuck did we get Lee fucking Mason again as VAR referee? Twice in just one week.

Didn't realise we had him last Sunday as well. Does seem a bit bizarre.

Just now, Craig said:

Didn't realise we had him last Sunday as well. Does seem a bit bizarre.

In three of our six games this season.

The disallowed goal for West Ham is as absurd as ours btw. It’s ridiculous when you watch football with people in pubs who come up with strange interpretations of decisions, but these are actually paid professionals.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

Anderson as I've said before reminds me of a young Paul Gascoigne. I don't think his value will be realised out on the flanks, I think he's a through the centre type of player. If we nurture him properly, there's no reason he cannot emerge for us similar to how Foden has for Man City.

Well said. I really want to see him for a full game to get a read on his defensive positioning and contribution.

1 minute ago, OTF said:

Well said. I really want to see him for a full game to get a read on his defensive positioning and contribution.

We should perhaps give him a run out against Palace in the Carabao Cup. Who I fucking hope we absolutely smash btw.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

In three of our six games this season.

The disallowed goal for West Ham is as absurd as ours btw. It’s ridiculous when you watch football with people in pubs who come up with strange interpretations of decisions, but these are actually paid professionals.

That's even more bizarre! VAR for the Forest match too! 

Not seen the West Ham goal but I'm off for a deek at it.

29 minutes ago, Renton said:

4) Gemmill went to this and must take his share of the blame the fucking Jonah. 

This is my key takeaway from todays game. Someone tell Gary Gloryhunter to fuckin stay at home next time, Adam P will end up taking a court order out against him :cuppa:

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1