The Golf Thread

Tom

Right I thought I better start this as I've been playing a few months & there's bound to be better golfers on here than I. 

Discuss the golf. Play some golf. Discuss how LIV is the ultimate format because there's beer. 

I went round in 121 today :lol: 

I'll get there...

• Like 1

For gays. 

I started learning last year 😂

My in laws play and I've always gone in the buggy when they play just so I can have some.time with them. Then wondered why not learn. Enjoyed it. 

Around me in North Leeds there's 6 courses lol 

Edited by wykikitoon

I used to play from around the age of 30-40’ish. Now and again would go round in low 90’s. Favourite part of the game was Par 3’s or lobbing it on the green.

Then went and played it in Florida which really put me off playing in cold shitty whether.

Then herniated a disc in my neck which was the end of golf.

Like most things, who you do it with makes a world of difference to how much fun it is.

Well I broke 100 at the weekend so in the land of the blind and all that...

The hysteria over the LIV tour has been utterly ridiculous. McIlroy is going on like MBS has fucked his wife. The concern feigned for the European Tour by those attacking the LIV golfers playing the BMW Championship is entirely disingenuous. The fact is that every decent European golfer fucks off to the PGA Tour at the first opportunity. Why? Because of the money. Then these pricks act shocked that some golfers have defected to LIV because of the money.

Of course none of them can come out and claim that they have concerns over human rights given that they've happily played in China, Saudi or other gulf states for huge purses in the past.

Regarding the actual LIV tour, I watched the finishing Sunday a couple of weeks ago and apart from the Americanised graphics I thought it was a fairly entertaining watch. The shotgun start means that everything is condensed into less that five hours and it's non-stop action. On the flip side it does make it all feel a little rushed. In the long run I don't see how it works, they can't keep offering huge money to average golfers to keep coming to it and the fact that it is very much condensed means that they aren't going to get the same money for the product from broadcasters. A normal tournament will be able to show live golf for maybe 45 hours over a weekend but the LIV format means they can offer less than 15 so it's going to be worth less. 

• Like 1

Been playing on and off since I was I young un. I can remember jacking It around 14 for a few years after playing Seaburn (I think it was) on a cold and windy day.

I play around 6 times a year now.. Hard to get out when you have young kids.

Been stuck on handicap of around 18-20 for ages now. Not that im bothered. You need to put a lot of effort/time in to get better. Im average enough to enjoy my round. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

The hysteria over the LIV tour has been utterly ridiculous. McIlroy is going on like MBS has fucked his wife. The concern feigned for the European Tour by those attacking the LIV golfers playing the BMW Championship is entirely disingenuous. The fact is that every decent European golfer fucks off to the PGA Tour at the first opportunity. Why? Because of the money. Then these pricks act shocked that some golfers have defected to LIV because of the money.

Of course none of them can come out and claim that they have concerns over human rights given that they've happily played in China, Saudi or other gulf states for huge purses in the past.

Regarding the actual LIV tour, I watched the finishing Sunday a couple of weeks ago and apart from the Americanised graphics I thought it was a fairly entertaining watch. The shotgun start means that everything is condensed into less that five hours and it's non-stop action. On the flip side it does make it all feel a little rushed. In the long run I don't see how it works, they can't keep offering huge money to average golfers to keep coming to it and the fact that it is very much condensed means that they aren't going to get the same money for the product from broadcasters. A normal tournament will be able to show live golf for maybe 45 hours over a weekend but the LIV format means they can offer less than 15 so it's going to be worth less. 

They will all be playing soon with little Rory left on his own.  The boring cunt

5 hours ago, ewerk said:

Effort! I think that's my long term target at the moment. Right now I'm just trying to get rid of silly mistakes, some of the lads I play with are class and are prone to the odd mulligan so it's a good learning environment. 

One lad plays off 7 mind & his swing is majestic. I've got a long way to go :lol: 

34 minutes ago, Tom said:

Effort! I think that's my long term target at the moment. Right now I'm just trying to get rid of silly mistakes, some of the lads I play with are class and are prone to the odd mulligan so it's a good learning environment. 

One lad plays off 7 mind & his swing is majestic. I've got a long way to go :lol: 

Be prepared for the new gear phase. This is when you convince yourself that various new drivers or putters etc will improve your game. :lol: 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Father in law plays off 8 and has been playing 50 years. Every now and then absolutely spakkas as shot so gives me hope 

13 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

"you'll get 20 more yards with a new driver"

Ive been using the same metal woods for about 20 years now. I hate the oversized drivers. 

I'm certainly not one for having to update my clubs every couple of years but with newer woods and a driver you will get more distance and more importantly a lot more forgiveness. Plus the clubs you have now are unlikely to be performing as well as they did when new.

But if they get you round and you're happy with them then that's the main thing.

Played for 30 years or so. Still shite, hovering around 90 if I get time to play, which I dont  very often. Unfortunately its a game where you expect to play like your best round, but never do.

”A good walk ruined” just about sums it up

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I'm certainly not one for having to update my clubs every couple of years but with newer woods and a driver you will get more distance and more importantly a lot more forgiveness. Plus the clubs you have now are unlikely to be performing as well as they did when new.

But if they get you round and you're happy with them then that's the main thing.

Its a good way to spunk away lots of money quickly. The money would probably be better spent on lessons if youre a beginner. 

Well it's a bit of both, money invested in lessons is definitely not wasted but at the same time more modern clubs do make it much easier to hit the ball. I wouldn't advise anyone beginning to shell out a fortune on brand new clubs, you can pick up a decent set of used beginners clubs on ebay for a couple of hundred quid.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Well it's a bit of both, money invested in lessons is definitely not wasted but at the same time more modern clubs do make it much easier to hit the ball. I wouldn't advise anyone beginning to shell out a fortune on brand new clubs, you can pick up a decent set of used beginners clubs on ebay for a couple of hundred quid.

Good advice. You can then upgrade to intermediate clubs if you outgrow your starter set. I’d also recommend spending a bit of time at a driving range getting a feel for the woods and long irons if you can

• Like 1