The Golf Thread

Tom

I'm lucky to have been given some very good gear so I can't use it as an excuse. :lol: 

My cousin gave me my late uncles clubs which really aren't too old, which is really what prompted me to learn. All the irons are Titleist, there's an awesome Ping putter etc, so I think they'll do me for a long while. 

Played yesterday at beamish park hotel to practice the short game, it's nice holes but with different tee positions so you can do 18 & go round twice. 

My irons are generally going straight and a reasonable distance but my putting let me down. 

Although I got my second ever birdie so I was happy with that. 

One thing to bear in mind is that there's no such thing as a 'good' set of clubs. You need the right clubs for you. If I were to take the clubs of someone playing of 5 if would probably damage by game as I'm not good enough to play with them. They might give more distance and spin but that's only if you know how to hit them correctly 90% of the time, the shaft would probably also be too stiff (fnar, fnar) for my swing speed. Saying that, if you're hitting them straight then they could be working for you. I see a lot of very average players trying to fade and draw shots that they aren't capable of doing, unless you want to be a single figure handicapper then the ability to hit the ball straight is the best thing you can have.

Yeh I think they're really working for me. If I get everything set up properly and make sure I'm doing everything right they'll tend to do what I'm trying to do :lol: 

There's a huge emotional connection too so I'm in no rush to change clubs, properly more inclined to look after these and use them for a long time. I'm quite happy to get round at the minute, with the odd very good hole/shot. That's what keeps me coming back.

Im going to go for a lesson sooner rather than later, so that'll be a better investment.

41 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Oh just read your last post :lol: The bloke teaching me is a PGA coach. I got 6h worth of lessons in 1hr slots for £200 which I thought was decent. 

My cousin and brother taught me some things but yeh I'm gonna go in for a proper lesson. 

I think everyone can benefit from a lesson, my cousin plays off of 6 & I'm sure he'd even agree that if he spent time with a pro there'd be something to work on. 

My brother went for a lesson & totally changed his swing, knacked him for ages but he's seeing the benefits now.

• Like 1

Tbh my brother has been playing years, his handicap is under 20 but the guy still found a lot of stuff wrong. He was getting a slight fade on his shots and the lesson was to get rid of that. 

I needed some winter stuff so got a fairly smart outfit from druids, for buttons as well. Top quality gear. 

I'm playing Sharpley, Longhirst & Slayley Hall in the next few days so it's going to be busy. My cousin it up too so a lot of drinking. 

I'm managing to get my 3 hybrid about 180-200yds off the deck/tee fairly straight so bar the odd nightmare shot I'm hoping that should get me round.

Sharpley is basically links without being links so I'm definitely going to be investing in some more baaaalllz.

Sharpley was great fun....a little windy but we could handle that.

Longhirst today was absolutely fucking lethal. Winds of 35mph, impossible on those longer holes. Very frustrating.

No idea, my cousin booked it. Playing a few more around there too.

I'll probably come away with a daft score but should be able to get around ok, with a few lost balls to boot.

We did the Hunters course at Slayley Hall on Monday & everyone came away with a poor score. (One lad off 6, two off 18).

It felt about 20 miles long :lol: