Newcastle United v AFC Bournemouth - QEII Sombre Edition

wykikitoon

The Premier League restarts this weekend with Newcastle hosting Bournemouth in a 3pm kick-off at SJP on Saturday.The game is a sell-out, with the Cherries taking an allocation of 1,155 places.

The Premier League have issued the following guidance regarding games staged across this weekend:

Players and match officials will wear black armbands as a mark of respect and, together with managers, will gather at the centre circle before kick-off.

Fans will be asked to join a minute’s silence, which will be followed by the National Anthem, God Save The King.

Big screens and LED perimeter boards will display tribute images to Her Majesty and flags at the grounds will be flying at half-mast.

When the clock turns to 70 minutes, fans will be invited to applaud The Queen’s 70-year reign.

NUFC: Jonjo Shelvey, Karl Darlow and Emil Krafth remain out while news on the availability of Allan Saint-Maximin, Bruno Guimaraes and Callum Wilson is awaited.

AFCB: Jettisoning ex-Magpie Scott Parker after four games of their return to the top flight, Bournemouth arrive under the guidance of Gary O'Neil.
A midfielder with a host of clubs during his playing days, O'Neil was in the same Portsmouth side as Eddie Howe in the early 2000s.

Fast forward to February 2006 and he was part of the Pompey XI beaten 0-2 at SJP - a game remembered for Alan Shearer breaking the club's scoring record. 
O'Neil is unbeaten after two games in charge - a 0-0 home draw with Wolves and a 2-3 success at Forest.
That came after Parker oversaw a 2-0 home win over Villa ahead of defeats at Manchester City (0-4) and Liverpool (0-9) that book-ended a 0-3 home loss to Arsenal.

Midfielder Marcus Tavernier has started all six PL games since joining the club from Boro - he's the younger brother of SJP old boy James Tavernier and spent part of his childhood on the touchline watching him for Newcastle's reserve and junior sides.

Referee: Craig Pawson - a first sighting of the South Yorkshire official since he took charge of our 2-1 win at Burnley in May.

Pawson had been allocated last Sunday's postponed PL visit to West Ham.

VAR: Stuart Attwell

Stats:

This will be the first time that Eddie Howe has come up against his former side as either a player or a manager.

Cherries in Toon - all-time:

2019/20 won 2-1 Yedlin, Clark (PL)
2018/19 won 2-1 Rondon 2 (PL)
2017/18 lost 0-1 (PL)
2015/16 lost 1-3 Perez (PL)
1991/92 drew 2-2 Hunt 2 (FAC) (lost 3-4 pens)
1989/90 won 3-0 Anderson, Quinn 2 (D2)
1972/73 won 2-0 Macdonald, og (FAC)

.com

Ideal game to give Anderson his first start: a team low on confidence, leaking goals in a game where they’re likely to sit back and we probably have loads of the ball. If we don’t score in the first hour the crowd could get tetchy. Anderson could be the door opener. I’d start him out wide if ASM isn’t fit with Miggy on the other flank 

Eddie Howe was asked first about the planned tributes to Queen Elizabeth II at Premier League grounds this weekend.

"The beauty of football is that we do get to come together as a nation and pay tribute to the fantastic life the Queen had and what she did for our country," he said. "That's what football does best."

Eddie Howe spent 11 years as Bournemouth manager over two spells, taking the club from the bottom of League Two to the Premier League. It is little surprise then that meetings with the Cherries will always be a notable occasion.

"I personally feel a huge sense of gratitude to the club and everyone connected with it. I wouldn't be sat here now if it wasn't for AFC Bournemouth," he said. "We'll be competing to win the game and are desperate to do so but it will be a special game for us."

Eddie Howe says Jonjo Shelvey is progressing well in his comeback from a thigh problem but will make a late call on Bruno Guimaraes, Allan Saint-Maximin and Callum Wilson. Howe also said that new signing Loris Karius is "training well" after the former Liverpool goalkeeper joined the club as cover for the injured Karl Darlow.

"Everyone has improved but I'll leave my team-news until the time we get it," he said. "It's been a slightly difficult period for us but hopefully we're coming out of that. They [Guimaraes, Saint-Maximin and Wilson] are big players for us and we need them back quickly.

"Jonjo is making good progress. He's out on the grass running and he's looking good. He's in a really good physical condition and he's looking after himself so hopefully it wont be too long.

"The injury to Darlow - he was just in training doing normal shot action but he twisted his ankle. With that, we decided it was wise to move for someone with experience who could compliment the goalkeepers we have. He's come in and trained very well."

31 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

3 points please

john beresford on talksport just been saying he expects us to hit them for 4 or 5. reckons that when he was playing keegan would have been demanding it in the dressing room and that howe should be doing the same.

I like beresford.  :)

• Like 6

Just now, thebrokendoll said:

john beresford on talksport just been saying he expects us to hit them for 4 or 5. reckons that when he was playing keegan would have been demanding it in the dressing room and that howe should be doing the same.

I like beresford.  :)

Aye, but we are a fair bit off that level just yet, particularly with the injuries.

A scrappy 1-0 will do me. 

my mate I travel up with from cheltenham has realised he's left his   season ticket card thing at home, the daft twat. just tried ringing the club and whichever option you choose doesn't allow you to speak to anybody.

anybody know if there's a way he can still get in, ie will there be somebody at the ground at all he can speak to, or is he fucked?   :(

1 minute ago, thebrokendoll said:

my mate I travel up with from cheltenham has realised he's left his   season ticket card thing at home, the daft twat. just tried ringing the club and whichever option you choose doesn't allow you to speak to anybody.

anybody know if there's a way he can still get in, ie will there be somebody at the ground at all he can speak to, or is he fucked?   :(

isn’t the little ticket office usually open