Newcastle United v AFC Bournemouth - QEII Sombre Edition

wykikitoon

18 hours ago, Alex said:

Yeah but Isak is new to the team and the league, Bruno has just come back and then Wilson and ASM aren’t available. I do get what you’re saying and it reinforces the lack of quality in terms of options to bring on and creativity. But we were the worst team in the division and absolutely nailed on for relegation 12 months ago. Now we’re disappointed to be sat in mid-table and not tonking sides at home. 

I think sides outside the top 6/7 now know just to give us possession and we’re not good enough to break them down.  The answer could be another 150 mill in January.  But that puts us in danger of wandering into Everton territory/falling foul of FFP.  Am not criticising Howe or the recruitment we’ve done thus far. It does show how shallow the squad is, it will take time to put right, but I also think the figures are daunting and there’s no guarantee of success.

We’re a far better project than Everton, all major positions behind the scenes are filled with what on paper look like top quality professionals unlike their set up where was at one point 3 different camps were buying players. If we are stuck in mid table this season it wouldn’t really bother me but the fuckin abuse being dished out by morons on social media is fuckin nauseating and whether we like it or not they are the public face of our support. No nuance or balance, just WAAAAHHH WUH SHITE MAN SACK HOWE HES SHITE…it really fuckin pisses me off…

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I think sides outside the top 6/7 now know just to give us possession and we’re not good enough to break them down.  The answer could be another 150 mill in January.  But that puts us in danger of wandering into Everton territory/falling foul of FFP.  Am not criticising Howe or the recruitment we’ve done thus far. It does show how shallow the squad is, it will take time to put right, but I also think the figures are daunting and there’s no guarantee of success.

We’re a far better project than Everton, all major positions behind the scenes are filled with what on paper look like top quality professionals unlike their set up where was at one point 3 different camps were buying players. If we are stuck in mid table this season it wouldn’t really bother me but the fuckin abuse being dished out by morons on social media is fuckin nauseating and whether we like it or not they are the public face of our support. No nuance or balance, just WAAAAHHH WUH SHITE MAN SACK HOWE HES SHITE…it really fuckin pisses me off…

problem is as well, whoever it was who hosting talksports phone-in yesterday after the match was opening the conversation with every newcastle supporter who rang in by asking what their expectation was for newcastle's finishing position was this season?

before they even had the chance to answer he was stating that he believed it to be comfortably top 8 with the money invested and that if it wasn't achieved he believed the owners would sack howe.

tragic really.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

problem is as well, whoever it was who hosting talksports phone-in yesterday after the match was opening the conversation with every newcastle supporter who rang in by asking what their expectation was for newcastle's finishing position was this season?

before they even had the chance to answer he was stating that he believed it to be comfortably top 8 with the money invested and that if it wasn't achieved he believed the owners would sack howe.

tragic really.

I hope the owners remain patient. This could be a transitional season where we end up in a similar position around 9-11th. We have to give Howe time. The squad is still a massive work in progress. But if we continue to go along at a point a game those noises in the media will get louder 

• Like 1

I still think we can finish top 8 btw. We were robbed against Palace and we were a couple of shots off the post from a win yesterday. 

We're 3 points off 6th even with all the disappointment from the last couple of games. 

• Like 4

I'm finding some of the negativity here surprising tbh. Very early days this season, still inbeaten at SJP, still in the cup, our key attacking players out for recent games. Manager who knows what he is doing tbh. Less than a year since the takeover when we looked relegation certainties. I'm happy enough. 

• Like 5

I think there is definitely the thought we should be doing better points wise.

Internally we all hope we have this little hope/dream we can push into top 4/5 but in reality its never going to happen this season.

Im happy though. Be interested to see how the general public react if we lost the next 3 on the bounce though.

Edited by Holden McGroin

It’s frustrating to drop points in home games to palace and Bournemouth where we’ve had most of the ball but I think there’s a general appreciation that we’re a work in progress. It won’t happen overnight. 

The frustration is good though because it shows how far we’ve come and that we care again. It’s good that dropped points hurt - that’s what is supposed to happen when your club is aspirational. You just have to compare this match thread to one of the sparsely populated threads from this time last season when another defeat was generally met with a shrug of the shoulders, piss taking and a touch of bed wetting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I hope the owners remain patient. This could be a transitional season where we end up in a similar position around 9-11th. We have to give Howe time. The squad is still a massive work in progress. But if we continue to go along at a point a game those noises in the media will get louder 

Aye, as well as bringing new players in, it’s a big job to get rid of the dross. 

I’d be delighted with a top 10 finish this season, and promising progress in the cups. 

As Gemmill mentioned, increased commercial income will help, and considering they’re starting from zero it’ll make a big difference. 

Of course, steady and sensible progress won’t keep the gobshite’s happy, but fuck ‘em. 

• Like 2

Willock needs to find his shooting boots again. It's bizarre how good he was in that loan spell, rightfully went off the boil when he was made permanent under Bruce ball but he said Eddie has really sorted him out. Well if he has, then he should be potting a few of these chances he's getting. He's a decent player, just needs to add goals again. 

1 minute ago, Chaser said:

Willock needs to find his shooting boots again. It's bizarre how good he was in that loan spell, rightfully went off the boil when he was made permanent under Bruce ball but he said Eddie has really sorted him out. Well if he has, then he should be potting a few of these chances he's getting. He's a decent player, just needs to add goals again. 

Willock isn’t a bad player. I would prefer it if he was an impact sub rather than a guaranteed starter. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

thought of another plus point actually....

£6 for a pint of strongbow and a pint of guinness in the sumptuous surroundings of the percy  absolute bargain!

not so sure about the replica of the berlin wall they've built around the back outside space or the couple of reproduction stalag 13 huts for when it's raining. 

but hey, small sacrifices for 2 pints for six quid!   :)

Just seen that this afternoon. Why the fuck would they do that?

Make the bar less accessible or attractive to a non-regular?

Council fucking regulations no doubt.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Willock isn’t a bad player. I would prefer it if he was an impact sub rather than a guaranteed starter. 

He probably will be once everyone else is fit. He should however be taking this opportunity to show that he's good enough to play if they want to shift bruno deeper and he can take up the midfield role alongside the other Joe or pushing up as a no 10. 

We're lacking the cleverness to open up teams doing to us what we'd do to teams under Rafa; we're much more threatening against teams who fancy turning us over - I'd not be surprised if we win 2 of the next 3.

Howe's way of playing needs to continue and changes in personnel will make the difference. Maddison would have been the signing of the summer.

IMO If we had ASM and Bruno for the last few games it would have been different.  Our strength in depth is shit and that will slowly be addressed.

Murphy
Miggy
Longstaff

Shouldn't be near the first team but at the moment it's Hobsons choice.  Shelvey s a real miss IMO as he allows Bruno to play further forward.

We are more resilient at the back.  Yeh, a few players didn't really shine yesterday but I think the break hasn't helped.  

Just watched one of Brunos insta stories. That ball hr played wide for Miggy. We had 3 in the box and instead of hitting it into the box. Bang. Stops and pulls back onto his left because he's only got one foot. Get fucking shut of him. 

Just now, wykikitoon said:

Just watched one of Brunos insta stories. That ball hr played wide for Miggy. We had 3 in the box and instead of hitting it into the box. Bang. Stops and pulls back onto his left because he's only got one foot. Get fucking shut of him. 

Or play him on the left? He looked alright under Rafa with Perez on the right and rondon through the middle 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Or play him on the left? He looked alright under Rafa with Perez on the right and rondon through the middle 

I can sort of understand it while ASM is playing, but with ASM out, surely you try (at least) Miggy on the left and Fraser on the right.  It may not work, but it is infinitely better than getting Murphy on the pitch.