Eddie's Neonicotinoid Laden Bastards VS. Thomas's Hair Nets

tooner

10 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

Don't care on the score, as long as we win.

yes, it would be nice if our win column is bigger than our draw column in 4 games time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I’ll take a scrappy 1-0 all day. This lot are capable of some great performances on their day

Agreed. I don't think it'll necessarily be the walkover some are predicting. I'm going for 2-1 win.

• Like 1

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe is up in front of the media this morning and gets under way with some team news.

Asked about the fitness of Allan Saint-Maximin, who has missed the last four games with a hamstring problem Howe says: "He's doing okay. He's trained well this week and we're pleased with him. He's making good progress. There's a chance he could be in the squad tomorrow."

On Alexander Isak, Howe added: "He's running on grass and increasing his speed so he's in a good place. Hopefully it wont be too long. He suffered a muscle problem to his thigh and his scan wasn't overly bad but the medical team are just being cautious with him at this moment."

Jonjo Shelvey is another player that Newcastle boss Eddie Howe could have at his disposal sooner rather than later. The midfielder suffered a serious hamstring injury during the 3-2 defeat at Benfica during pre-season but Howe says his "recovery is ahead of schedule" and he will be involved in training today. "There will still be caution as to when he's ready to play but he's making positive strides at the moment," added Howe. "You can take players for granted when they are performing and in the team and Jonjo has real strengths for us with his eye and range for a pass. We miss him when he is not playing."

On the anniversary of their Saudi Arabian-backed takeover, Newcastle manager Eddie Howe is asked about the progress the club has made. The Magpies were 19th and winless after seven games at this time last year with then boss Steve Bruce under extreme pressure before his departure was confirmed 13 days later.

"The club has come a long way," Howe said. "The positivity first and foremost was what hit me with everyone connected with the club and what may lie ahead. That positivity is still there and that is a difficult thing to keep.

"Everyone behind the scenes has done a very good job in terms of putting the building blocks in place for what the club needs for long term success and hopefully we can deliver that. "Without those structures in place the long term success isn’t going to happen. You need good people in the right positions. There is a lot of work going on behind the scenes to improve everything that we deliver for our current players and the players that we will have as we continue to exist so I’m very positive about the future."

More from Newcastle boss Eddie Howe who says he understands why some people were uncomfortable with the club's ownership.

"Yes, I do and I understand the question. But for me, the directors' and owners' test ratified by the Premier League, I have to have faith in that process," Howe said. "Obviously I've been the decision-maker behind where some of that money has gone, and I've looked at it purely from a football perspective trying to recruit the best players for Newcastle. "I've said this right from day one - it's always about the football for me. If I veer too far from that and I go into areas of the club that won't benefit my players or the team, then I'm not going to do my players justice. "Everything for me is about trying to get the best out of the players that I have every single day, and hopefully that shows when we play. I've never veered too far from that in my management career and I think that's vitally important for me."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tooner said:

With Bruce getting some coverage it just makes me laugh even more seeing Howe's press conferences and marrying them up with the reality on the pitch which only tells you he's patently a competent manager at the very least when you compare the horror show of Bruce's football and the verbal shit sandwich with extra diarrhoea sauce that he'd come out with at his press interviews. The petulance alone at people questioning the reality of his football is a relief to behold now he's doing it somewhere else instead of here.

• Like 3