Gemmill's Squad Rotation Mags vs. (checks notes) Patrick Vieira's Eagles, apparently

Meenzer

6 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

We have a great opportunity to put nine points between us and Chelsea on Saturday, we're in 3rd spot ahead of where we want to be and one or two players need a break and others need some minutes. If Murphy can start our league games then Shelvey can come in for this. I'd rather this year grasp any opportunities to finish as high as possible with a unique WC situation and no Europe to bolster our turnaround times in between games and help our recruitment chances and enhance our imminent sponsor deals. Can you imagine anyone bemoaning a sponsorship deal if we finished in a CL spot or close to it? We'd just point to the clubs in a similar part of the league table as ourselves and say if it's good enough for them etc. The cups can roll in when we've a squad good enough to rotate in these early rounds and get through comfortably. If we were in 8th I'd be putting out a better team injuries permitting but this really is the time to look at the bigger picture. 

Absolutely this, obviously we are all desperate for cup runs and a cup win but the opportunity we have this season to come top 4 needs to take complete priority. It will be completely fucking transformative to our club and put us years ahead on our timeline, it’s way too good of an opportunity to pass on to prioritize a league cup run.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

We have a great opportunity to put nine points between us and Chelsea on Saturday, we're in 3rd spot ahead of where we want to be and one or two players need a break and others need some minutes. If Murphy can start our league games then Shelvey can come in for this. I'd rather this year grasp any opportunities to finish as high as possible with a unique WC situation and no Europe to bolster our turnaround times in between games and help our recruitment chances and enhance our imminent sponsor deals. Can you imagine anyone bemoaning a sponsorship deal if we finished in a CL spot or close to it? We'd just point to the clubs in a similar part of the league table as ourselves and say if it's good enough for them etc. The cups can roll in when we've a squad good enough to rotate in these early rounds and get through comfortably. If we were in 8th I'd be putting out a better team injuries permitting but this really is the time to look at the bigger picture. 

Yep, we win on Saturday and we'll be third on Christmas Day with a really good chance we'll still be there by the New Year. 

Having the transfer window open with us in a CL place will have us attracting far better players than previous windows.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

Rotation is a good thing anyway, think of it much the same as alternating between your left and right hands whilst wiping your arse.  It ensures all areas are properly engaged and your weak hand doesn't feel excluded.  

Sit or stand, we all do that, right?  

giphy.webp

• Haha 4

I just have a bit of a down feeling today, but I'd much rather we win Saturday anyway and as HMHM says, bigger picture WAY more important.

The players going (or thinking they will go) to the WC will be a bit reticent, even subconsciously, about going 100% 3 games in a week. Of course if not totally committed, that's when folks get hurt !!!

• Like 1

I sense we'll still be seeing a dressing room victory photo later. We've a score to settle with these bastards after what happened a couple of months back.

• Like 4

Aye we will put out a team with Chris Wood, Lascelles, Manquillo, etc and still fucking win 4-0. I’m honestly at the point where if I saw Howe start Lewis and Manquillo away to Man City I’d not even question it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

I’d rather that we don’t rotate too much and have a real go at the League Cup. Winning a trophy or even getting closer to it will much enhance the reputation and benefit with new commercial deals.

Equally importantly, it’ll give these players a taste of what it’s like winning a trophy for us.

( as opposed to a Certificate of Participation  :lol: ). 

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

I want both thanks :) 

Both isn’t realistic, if you give equal priority to both. The League Cup is a significantly lower priority (even winning it) compared to a CL place. I’d rather we had a proper crack at both but the only teams that do that have deep squads. The only teams with deep squads are the ones that qualify for the CL on a regular basis. If we get in the CL this year it puts us well ahead of schedule in terms of becoming one of those clubs. Once we’re in that group of teams there are no guarantees but you’d think the investment will make it very likely we’d then qualify most years going forward. I’m not getting any younger and would love to see us win something for the first time in my lifetime but HMHM is spot in terms of the bigger picture 

• Like 6

We're 6/4 (40% chance) to finish top 4 with Bet365. We're 12/1 (8% chance) to win the League Cup. 

Five times more likely to finish top 4. For which the long term rewards are astronomical. 

So you put out a weakened team tonight and you shut your face if you think otherwise.