Gemmill's Squad Rotation Mags vs. (checks notes) Patrick Vieira's Eagles, apparently

Meenzer

I agree. He was key to getting us where we needed to but then we needed to upgrade to get to the next level.

Lascelles would walk the championship and be a decent CB for lower league PL team that are well drilled. But he is just isn't good enough on the ball to play in this team. Shame, as he seems like a good character. Like Killa was.

He's adequate cover for right now, but I'm sure Ashworth will be looking to strengthen in that area which will mean the end of his time here. Everything aside, we didn't concede last night and we should acknowledge that Palace are a decent side. 

You just don't feel the same level of assurance as when we've got Schar and Botman at the back though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Here’s my expert analysis. We were very poor but looked slightly more lively when our actual good players came on. Still, we’re through the next round where 4 good sides have been knocked out and we did it without risking anyone for Saturday. A case of the performance being poor but the result being right and nobody will really care about the former when we lift the cunt in February.

Mind, Lascelles is absolutely out of his depth in this side. The amount of hospital balls he gave Manquillo defied belief. Manquillo looked ropey and rusty, as you may expect, but I’ve never seen a centre half pressure his own player as much. He has to be next out the door, who cares about his leadership

How did the bandaged greek loving mofo do?

11 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Just been with Tom and he reckons he’s off for a Nick Pope tattoo on not one but both arse cheeks? Good luck to the kid

Booked in 

• Haha 2

We were poor last night.  Very sloppy in posession and the defence seemed a vew yards further back in there starting position which was no doubt due to Lascelles.  But you have to expect this when you make so many changes, particularly when players who have barely played all season.  It did show that if we do have a few injuries all at once (particularly if Tripper and Bruno are included in them) that will be where we'll not be able to keep up the form that has us in 3rd.

• Like 2

If Isak was able to play 60 minutes, I think we win that game in normal time. Also if we had a better CB than Lascelles. 

Totally makes sense to rotate the squad. Players need a break, some players need their chance to play. If Howe had named a side filled with kids and crocks, then sure, have a whinge, but this is a 3rd round League Cup game against Crystal Palace. If we face another PL side in the next round, I'm sure Howe will field a strong side then too. Get through to the Semis it'll be 1st team players.

Got to hope we either avoid Man City entirely, or catch them fielding a weakened side due to CL commitments. Not sure how Liverpool are going to fit more fixtures into their already mental calendar, they probably would have been better off dropping out of the League Cup entirely.

At least 10 PL sides left in the cup;

MCI (2)

NEW (3)

MNU/AST (5/13)

BRI (6)

LIV (8)

LEI (14)
BOU (17)
SOU (18)

WOL (19)

NOT (20)

2 Championship clubs;

BUR (1)

BLA (2)

3 League 1

CHA (9)

LIN (14)

MKD (21)

and 1 League 2

GIL (22)

Dunno if it's better to face a PL team now, when they're more likely to field a weakened side, or get another easier tie against lower league opposition? The only draws I wouldn't fancy are MCI home or away, and BRI, LIV or MNU away. 

• Like 1

Defensively Lascelles was fine last night, but he's totally at odds with how we want to play out from the back these days and I think he definitely had an impact on the side.  But I totally agree that we had to rotate some players last night.  Lascelles being captain had to get a game and Targett, Shelvey and Maxi all had to be in for game time.  Wood had to play with Wilson being unwell and I think most people were wanting to see Anderson get some game time.  We clearly didn't play well but I don't think there's much I would argue with in the side that was put out.

• Like 3

I was watching on my phone and it was a bit small to see clearly. As he was walking up to the spot I thought it was Bruno, then when he ran up and skied it I thought ah well it must be some squad player I don’t know much about… :lol: and then I realised yes it was Bruno 😭

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Thank fuck I took today off, kid. I’m fucked :lol: How torturous was your game of golf from 1-10?

A strong 8 :lol: 

The fucking wind was nuts, it was at the coast so I was freezing and I couldn't hit for toffee. 

Had a Guinness after like so not all bad