Eddie Howe's Gemmill-Gladdening Shootout Kings vs. Harry Potter's Serial Underwhelmers

Meenzer

The commentary are delighted to point out that for all our endeavour we've not created anything significant as though there's some expectation that we'd have piled on the goals against a team that spent a fortune on top of a squad that was already assembled for multiples of ours with wages more than double ours.

Premier League by-law 167 sub-clause b: Chalobah is not permitted to concede a penalty against Newcastle no matter the nature of his infringement.

• Like 2

Did well in everything besides the final ball, Bruno having possibly his worst game for us but Longstaff having another solid game. Wood is such a downgrade on Wilson, he simply can’t keep the press on. 

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

That wasn’t a pen.

I mostly agree, however in seasons past depending which team/player/ground they probably give it. Put it this way, if the ref gave it here the VAR would not have overturned it (suggested the ref have another look).

His arm was away from his body though you could say that is natural, but why then is there an expectation for defenders to have their hands behind their backs or at worst by their sides in other defensive situations?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toonotl said:

I think Wood has done okay but I'd much prefer Wilson's nous and threat in behind. 

If Wilson is not well enough to come on if I was Eddie I'd be strongly considering putting ASM on for Wood with free reign to take up his attacking position wherever he likes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OTF said:

If Wilson is not well enough to come on if I was Eddie I'd be strongly considering putting ASM on for Wood with free reign to take up his attacking position wherever he likes.

The mobility would certainly be welcomed. I don't think Howe fancies ASM at centre forward with the amount of pressing he expects from that position though. And with good reason. But in attack I can definitely see the benefit (if Wilson is crook).

And it also really does have the feeling of a game where we could use his French-flair bullshit to unlock them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Howay said:

Longstaff having another solid game.

I just don’t see this and haven’t seen it all season. Like Wood I think he’s just not on the same level as the other players in his ability to pick a pass or keep the move flowing. 

I know I appear to be in the minority on this and may have an unconscious bias but for me his position would be top of my list for replacing in January.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OTF said:

If he’s not well enough to come, it’s pretty pointless having him on the bench tbh. 

You know if that pen shout was at the other end and went against us I'd be annoyed but probably would find it acceptable.

And I fully believe that if it was at the other end it would've been a penalty. 

Just now, ewerk said:

I just don’t see this and haven’t seen it all season. Like Wood I think he’s just not on the same level as the other players in his ability to pick a pass or keep the move flowing. 

I know I appear to be in the minority on this and may have an unconscious bias but for me his position would be top of my list for replacing in January.

He’s done ok but I would rather play Joelinton in midfield with Bruno and Willock than find a place for Longstaff.

• Like 1

Just now, toonotl said:

The mobility would certainly be welcomed. I don't think Howe fancies ASM at centre forward with the amount of pressing he expects from that position though. And with good reason. But in attack I can definitely see the benefit (if Wilson is crook).

And it also really does have the feeling of a game where we could use his French-flair bullshit to unlock them. 

ASM has shown this season that he's willing to change his way of playing to fit with Eddie's expectations. Wood's physicality is being matched and nullified here because he doesn't have the nous and he's too predictable. ASM is the exact opposite of predictable.

• Like 2