Puppies

The Fish

21 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I was warned when I got the cats that the lifetime plan with Petplan is zero exclusions - if your cat gets any ailment during its time with Petplan that ailment will be covered. I was told (and this might be bollocks or it might have improved since then) that other insurers can eventually reclass things as "existing conditions" and stop covering them. 

One of the cats was diagnosed with asthma as a kitten - diagnosis involved a £1.4k stay in an oxygen tank cos he was so fucked. Fully paid for (minus excess) and every asthma related thing covered for the rest of his life. 

I don't know if this is common to other insurers too, but as soon as a vet bill goes over £300 I just pay the vet the excess and they source the rest of the cost direct from Petplan. And they've never quibbled over a penny. 

This might be the experience you get with every other insurer btw, I don't know cos I've only ever used Petplan. 

They can and do, happened to us with our first dog, mentioned in my post further up.

Like most things you get what you pay for, Petplan all the way for us.

Edited by Toonpack

My fault for getting a bulldog but I was shafted by her insurers to the tune of about £5k when she caught pneumonia as a puppy (it’s common in brachycephalic type dogs).

I would have paid more for quibble free insurance, and I will do when I get my next dog

• Like 1

3 hours ago, strawb said:

My fault for getting a bulldog but I was shafted by her insurers to the tune of about £5k when she caught pneumonia as a puppy (it’s common in brachycephalic type dogs).

I would have paid more for quibble free insurance, and I will do when I get my next dog

It's like all insurance tbh, if you never claim it's a waste of money, but when/if you do need to claim last thing you want is a fight and to be the equivalent of several years worth of premiums out of pocket in a single lump.

Daughter in law is a veterinary nurse, had a young pup in few months ago, needed a minor-ish op, wasn't insured and bill was going to be £1500, people couldn't afford it so said put it to sleep. D-in-law said she'd take on the pup and would have paid for the op (was a good prognosis etc) but they would need to formally sign pup over to her, they said they'd see. She was off shift for a couple of days and when she was back to work they'd already been back in and insisted it was put down - cunts !!!!

Edited by Toonpack
  • Jaysus... 2

57 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

It's like all insurance tbh, if you never claim it's a waste of money, but when/if you do need to claim last thing you want is a fight and to be the equivalent of several years worth of premiums out of pocket in a single lump.

Daughter in law is a veterinary nurse, had a young pup in few months ago, needed a minor-ish op, wasn't insured and bill was going to be £1500, people couldn't afford it so said put it to sleep. D-in-law said she'd take on the pup and would have paid for the op (was a good prognosis etc) but they would need to formally sign pup over to her, they said they'd see. She was off shift for a couple of days and when she was back to work they'd already been back in and insisted it was put down - cunts !!!!

What the fuck? That’s terrible. I don’t know how some people live with themselves. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Alex said:

What the fuck? That’s terrible. I don’t know how some people love with themselves. 

Of the large population of morons in this country, a very large proportion of those are also cunts.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Of the large population of morons in this country, a very large proportion of those are also cunts.

Aye. Were they charvas by any chance? 

On 15/11/2022 at 03:45, Craig said:

Absolutely this. 

One of my mates has a Cavapoo - absolutely gorgeous temperament - placid, loyal and loving. Another has a Cockerpoo - batshit crazy, permanently on one, pisses all over the place. 

Looking up the behaviour traits, they're typical of the respective breeds. 

We just got a puppy a few weeks ago. Cavoodle (which is what we call Cavapoos in Australia). So far she is excellent, playful but trains well too. We know the mother dog and she has an amazing temperament so when she was bred we snapped up one of the litter.

We have been crating her and it works really well. We pop her in when we go to bed and have it adjacent to our bed so she can still see us. A little bit of whimpering at the start and once she settled she was fine. Took her out in the early hours for a toilet break, but pretty much since then have been putting her in around 10pm and not getting her out until 6AM.

What I'm most worried about with her is separation anxiety. I work from home at least 4 days a week so it will be tough for her when I do go into the office.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alex said:

They’re all mongrels whatever you call them. Not that there’s anything wrong with a mongrel. 

Yep, mongrel, mixed-breed, mutt, designer dog whatever you want to call them. Cavoodles are selectively bred for the combination of traits from Poodles (hair not fur - this is awesome, no fur everywhere, smart and trainable) and Cavaliers (gentle, affectionate, shorter muzzle) and something they call hybrid vigour that prevents some of the genetic issues that they could otherwise get if they were purebred. That said purebred is just selective breeding of dogs with certain physical or temperament based traits anyway, just done many many years ago and often bringing about significant health issues. Anyway, dogs are awesome, especially this one.

sketch-1668597211370.thumb.jpg.97700e6e97723b05c14faba4ce2f1da6.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, OTF said:

Yep, mongrel, mixed-breed, mutt, designer dog whatever you want to call them. Cavoodles are selectively bred for the combination of traits from Poodles (hair not fur - this is awesome, no fur everywhere, smart and trainable) and Cavaliers (gentle, affectionate, shorter muzzle) and something they call hybrid vigour that prevents some of the genetic issues that they could otherwise get if they were purebred. That said purebred is just selective breeding of dogs with certain physical or temperament based traits anyway, just done many many years ago and often bringing about significant health issues. Anyway, dogs are awesome, especially this one.

sketch-1668597211370.thumb.jpg.97700e6e97723b05c14faba4ce2f1da6.jpg

Aye I don't get it. Why the fuck are cross-bred dogs frowned upon in a country where inbred Royals are celebrated?

Edited by Blastronaut
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Aye I don't get it. Why the fuck are cross-bred dogs frowned upon in a country where inbred Royals are celebrated?

One of mine is a cross-breed / mongrel.  It’s the ‘proper’ breeds that are inbred though so that should answer your question ;) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

One of mine is a cross-breed / mongrel.  It’s the ‘proper’ breeds that are inbred though so that should answer your question ;) 

True, the cross-breeding royals are getting the worst treatment, so much so that I heard they won't be allowed to compete at the next Crufts.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Alex said:

Ah fuck aye that's a good point. Dunno where my head was at. So close to the answer. 

You're right, actually it makes perfect sense. 

• Haha 2