Eddie Howe + Gemmill's Gleaming Glee Club vs. Ted Lasso's Dirty Leeds

Meenzer

1 minute ago, LondonBlue said:

There's a temptation to give a large slice of credit for the change in premier league styles to Pep.

When he arrived all the pundits said his style wouldn't work in the hurly burly rough and tumble of the premier league but i think we now have a fusion of sorts that must scare the hell out of the rest of europe.

The pressing game definitely has grown in popularity, not just with coaches, but more importantly with the fans. I think more credit has to go to those that influenced Klopp, Pep, Pochettino et al. You'd have to look at Bielsa, Sacchi and so on. They laid the ground work and the newer managers may have taken it forward and tweaked it a little, they were among the progenitors.

Mourinho's football may have been successful (at the time) but holy Hell was it boring and the fans made that obvious. Benitez' game was similarly pragmatic and for a time it was working very well, and for us it made a lot of sense (we couldn't play more expansive football with Rondon up front and Lascelles at the back). However, it was very difficult to defend it from criticisms of being tedious and drab.

I'd much rather watch Howe's pressing football, he's shown that despite Bruce (and Benitez' claims) you can play that kind of system without superstar players. I've not enjoyed watching Newcastle as much since Robson's time. 

• Like 3

Used to know a Villa fan who was sound, but he was definitely an  exception. Went to villa away when we won under Souness or Roeder when Boumsong slipped and Babayaro conceded a pen / got sent off as a result. Met Chris, the Villa fan, after and he took us to some dodgy looking Irish social club which you went in via what appeared to be sone hidden entrance,  with no signs of life from outside. We got in and it was heaving. We were all thinking ‘where the fuck has he taken us?’ Turns out it was about 90% Birmingham City and we struggled to buy a drink all night, such was their pleasure at the result. Fuck, that was ages ago now 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The pressing game definitely has grown in popularity, not just with coaches, but more importantly with the fans. I think more credit has to go to those that influenced Klopp, Pep, Pochettino et al. You'd have to look at Bielsa, Sacchi and so on. They laid the ground work and the newer managers may have taken it forward and tweaked it a little, they were among the progenitors.

Mourinho's football may have been successful (at the time) but holy Hell was it boring and the fans made that obvious. Benitez' game was similarly pragmatic and for a time it was working very well, and for us it made a lot of sense (we couldn't play more expansive football with Rondon up front and Lascelles at the back). However, it was very difficult to defend it from criticisms of being tedious and drab.

I'd much rather watch Howe's pressing football, he's shown that despite Bruce (and Benitez' claims) you can play that kind of system without superstar players. I've not enjoyed watching Newcastle as much since Robson's time. 

100%. 

i loved rafa because you could see he had a plan and a method and ambitions to move us forwards, which the former owner didn't share. we loved him because he was a name and had a solid reputation but he was as good as it was going to get with that cunt in charge. the football, though always well drilled and organised, was at times fucking dire to watch. 

26 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Regarding Chelsea fans I've long stated the maxim that I've never met a Chelsea fan who wasn't a cunt, and I'm yet to be proved wrong

I've a couple of Chelsea supporting mates. One is a massive toff who's not much more than an armchair fan, never goes to early cup games, always somehow gets a ticket for a final, the other is a proper salt-of-the-earth, been going since he was 5, hates modern football, hates the players, hates the people who sits around him and all that. They're both cunts, but I like them a lot... if that makes any sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

100%. 

i loved rafa because you could see he had a plan and a method and ambitions to move us forwards, which the former owner didn't share. we loved him because he was a name and had a solid reputation but he was as good as it was going to get with that cunt in charge. the football, though always well drilled and organised, was at times fucking dire to watch. 

I got a similar satisfaction from Benitez' Newcastle taking points off the big boys, as I do from not letting a cunt in a flash car merge in turn, purely out of spite.

11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I think it was Ajax under Michels and Kiev under Lobanovskyi that were the originators of the high press. Along with ‘vitamin injections’ to help the players carry it out

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think it was Ajax under Michels and Kiev under Lobanovskyi that was the originators of the high press I think. Along with ‘vitamin injections’ to help the players carry it out

I didn't want to mention Michels for fear of being called out for plagiarising Jonathon Wilson. Glad you're not afraid of that.

wait... my Spidey sense is tingling.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think it was Ajax under Michels and Kiev under Lobanovskyi that were the originators of the high press. Along with ‘vitamin injections’ to help the players carry it out

i'd be amazed if it wasn't endemic across the game given the pace it's played at these days 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

i definitely get that. it's along the lines of "nothing is ever new" but what these guys are doing is making a new flavour relevant. It's not just the pressing, its all the extra stuff like inverted wingers, etc. we won the league last year with a false 9 and we tend to play with at least one false full back. something Pep did with Lahm at Bayern. I wonder sometimes if Ederson is playing a false keeper role in an attempt to draw the attack onto us so we can break the press and off we go.